Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Western Alps - June- July

For me Gary, a 10 litre can provides around 50 miles of traveling on road. I carry two 10 litre cans on long runs, just because I can, and because they are easier to store and manage than a single 20 litre Jerry.

I'm thinking of just taking the 1 10l instead of 20l. I'm trying to figure if that stupid or not.

G.

I'm thinking of just taking the 1 10l instead of 20l. I'm trying to figure if that stupid or not.

G.
I suppose the best way to approach it is know your vehicle's average MPG and relate it to 10 litres of fuel. If you know for sure that your furthest OPEN fuel station is within that range, you should be fine. For me, I carry two because 2 is 1 and 1 is none, and you never know if an unknown fuel station will be available. If you have the room, it's a no brainer.

Thank you..

Space is not really the problem, its weight, I'm try to lighten my load as much as possible. But without compromising safety.

Thanks for your opinion.

G.

HI

Fingers crossed I hope to do last years planned trip of the Western Alps. I'm starting to prep the truck.

Fuel.
When I did the Pyrenees , I took a 20l of diesel can as backup. I'm thinking this is maybe excessive and that 10L is enough as I'm not traveling that far away from fuel supply.

I would appreciate people thoughts and what you think I should be carrying.

Regards
Gary
Italy is more expensive for diesel than France so I brimmed my tanks (160ltrs) in France and covered most of our driving in Italy on that. We went down via Luxembourg where they have the cheapest diesel in Europe and brimmed my tanks there as well, same on the way back, probably saved us 60 euros just on the Luxembourg diesel. There is the largest fuel station in Europe south of Luxembourg city which is the cheapest.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
"There is the largest fuel station in Europe south of Luxembourg city which is the cheapest"
.....I might take an empty bowser!

Thank you..

Space is not really the problem, its weight, I'm try to lighten my load as much as possible. But without compromising safety.

Thanks for your opinion.

G.
I don't know your vehicles fuel capacity Gary, but mine is 90 litres, and after laboriously collecting a years worth of data (being a spreadsheet lover), I have worked out that over a spectrum of driving conditions I can expect (hope for) the following ranges from one tank of fuel:
Worst case: 634 km or 394 miles
Average: 775 km or 481 miles
Best case: 924 km or 574 miles.

That is all based on a partially loaded vehicle.

So I guess if you know what your average is based upon a full tank, if you are brimmed, that should see you good for hundreds of miles or kilometers.... hopefully.....

Was in Ukraine a few weeks back. Some seriously cheap diesel out there. Specially in the outback.

Just looking at your route and plans. If you decide you don't want to do it as a single vehicle let me know.

Cherkassy and bit further down the River ( of you can call it that).

Back