Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What a 120 LC4 should sound like...

Sam

Garage
My first real "in the forum" post! I've considered about 50 so far and decided they were too soon or not quite right in some way and would end up wasting peoples time - so I've decided to start at the very beginning!

Had the '03 plate LC4 for a few weeks now (still only managed to clock up 40 of my miles though - need more time!) and I've noticed it's not sounding at all like the one I had before. Now, the one I had before was a bit newer - but this ones still only got 53,000 'fully serviced by Toyota' miles.

The difference is in the low end growl (ok ok it's not a v8 but you know what I mean). It's just a lot... how can i put it... tickier... as in tick tick tick. Closest I can get is like an old "normal person" car pinking. Gets slightly better when warm but doesn't go. I know i've been driving around in "normal folk" petrol cars for a while - but I'm convinced this is out of the norm. Difficult to know if its lost any power because i've not driven one for a few years.

I checked out the injector recall info but I get the impression that was from '04 onwards - so maybe not related?

So... this isnt so much a question (unless my lame description of the noise rings any obvious bells), more a record of what happens in case it helps anyone else. I'm gonna get it booked into Toyota for a look and I'll keep this post updated with any news.

As with all 'noises' really hard to comment - so probably best to let Mr T decide they don't know and for a few (loys) of your pennies they'll check it out for you ...

I assume it's defo engine noise and not transmission / drive train or even just a stone rattling around somewhere? Is it under power, on idle, on over-run?

Sorry - doesn't ring anay other bells though - but leaky injectors 'could' be involved - mine had a sort of tick that turned to a hammering sound at altitude and under load from 1800rpm that has now gone with the new injectors ...

mine used to make exactly the same ticking, sounded like a stone in they tyre. not all the time, and only really noticable with the window down and stereo off.

it doesn't do it anymore, but i don't know what stopped it exactly. i had all the fluids changed (diffs, t-box and gearbox) plus the props greased and iirc it stopped.

Does it do it when cold or warm as well? Mine is quite noisy normally (more so than other members here) but is an absolute bucket o' bolts when cold. Once the EGR changes, which you can hear very clearly when it does, it quietens down a lot.

There is also a, and this is where it gets funny, a software update from Mr-T to make it a bit quieter. It's not a normal thing to do at service but as and when customers complain about the noise. Speak to your dealer.
They tried to do it to mine but for some reason the ECU did not want to take the flash :(

For a long time I was waiting for mine to climb out of the bonnet and come sit next to me but 3 years in an 50k miles it still sounds the same so guess it's not going anywhere

Not a stone or drive train noise for sure - sounds like a definite tuning issue to me. It is worse when its cold but doesn't die down much when it warms up. Goes when I floor it though... hmmm... effective but expensive :roll:

Its a clear extra tick almost like a "timing out" kinda noise keeping pace with the engine speed. My ears reckon its engine rather than belts or anything. If its not an expensive fix it'll be interesting to see what it is. Might have to find another one and have a drive to remind myself how they sound. Hopefully Mr T will have one lying about ;)

Thanks for the reassurance though chaps - made me feel better.
Should be able to get some pics at the weekend. Gonna look all innocent and normal while its waiting for its snorkel, winch, tent and anything else SWMBO allows :D

Back