Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What a mistake that was ! Advice to come back required !

Looks like another deal that going to fall through :(

D40 goes tomorrow so going into a sub £500 Subaru until the lighter evenings come so i can go viewing properally.

Will put a new post up at some point trying to find owers locally so i can see what a good version is like before buying :)

Remember the old adage, Fools rush in.....

Patience is the key, everything comes to he who waits, ask Chris.

( Thats good advice coming from someone who bought the first 100 he viewed, but on the flip side in 97 I viewed 30 before I bought my first 80)

I get the feeling it might be out of budget !

After a long discussion with Mrs P today she said sre really like the 95 we had too as it was big, boaty and simple to use and suggested we might be getting caught up big shiny bling things (100's) and too new and expensive things (120's) and that she likes the look of 80s and 90s.

Thats made things alot easier to narrow down aint it ! Ugh :(

So you still havnt tryed a decent 80? :)

Decent standard ones aint exactly easy to come by ;)

TBH it sounds like you are over-analysing. Set your budget and see what you can afford. For £10k you can pick pretty much anything in the LC stable (within reason, before someone jumps on me) - certainly 80, 95, 100 , 120 series).

Buy what you want - as long as the base vehicle is sound you'll be happy. You could spend a long time chasing unicorns it you aren't careful... and when all said and done, they're just trucks. LC reliability is well known, but they aren't indestructible and even legends have weak spots (FFS BEBs!!!!). Drive a few, make sure its not a rusty dog and enjoy. If your heart wants an 80, buy one... ;-)

TBH it sounds like you are over-analysing. Set your budget and see what you can afford. For £10k you can pick pretty much anything in the LC stable (within reason, before someone jumps on me) - certainly 80, 95, 100 , 120 series).

Buy what you want - as long as the base vehicle is sound you'll be happy. You could spend a long time chasing unicorns it you aren't careful... and when all said and done, they're just trucks. LC reliability is well known, but they aren't indestructible and even legends have weak spots (FFS BEBs!!!!). Drive a few, make sure its not a rusty dog and enjoy. If your heart wants an 80, buy one... ;-)
Agree! I love mine. Had a inkling for a 100 a while back. Drove a couple. As nice as they are just wouldn't swap my 80 for one. Horses for courses and each to their own.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Totally get where you are coming from guys it's just alot of requirements so want to get the right truck.
Simple is nice so something older fits the bill but at the same time I'm after some comforts so that points towards something newer. Something reliable well they all are but the more you have the more can go wrong.
Finally cost - I don't mind spending on the right one but it's got to be something that will hold its value and if it's going to get used to its full potential being able to keep the bodywork and interior tidy tidy might not be totally possible.

Sorry for the lack of punctuation - I'm on the phone :/

A pre facelift petrol 100 series is what I would suggest. Yes I have one so must be biased towards them and it's my second one having had a couple of 80's in the past as well :) Pre facelift because they are simpler and cheaper. A 100 because they are big and comfortable for more road biased usage compared to an 80 but still quite capable off road. Petrol because they are nicer to drive and in many ways simpler. I would be very careful if I was looking at a petrol 100 with LPG already fitted though because if it's not installed and maintained right it seems they do get valve problems and that little occasional missfire the seller assures you is nothing to worry about probably is something to be very worried about!

So what have I learnt so far in my hunt to come back into Landcruiser ownership - read on if its of any interest !

80s - Not managed to try one yet due to lack of numbers locally and not really knowing what im looking at - fuel type would not bother me as to find a good one would mean enough !.

90s - Tried one again and from what it was like and the condition I dont think ill even find one like the Prado I had so cant really go there again with a lesser vehicle !

100s - Where I wanted to be originally but rust has hit so many of them that I doubting that ill find what im after currently. Opened the idea up to the petrol engines but that does not seemed to have improved the quality of vehicles available

120s - Viewed one and was maybe a bit quick to dismiss. D4D is king in the UK it seems so that leaves very little info on the petrol option.

The new info into the mix - seems that certain areas are going to adopt the idea of charging more for access in a diesel so maybe the long term view is to go petrol but the trouble with that is the big debate on Toyota engines using lpg. Seems that its more suited to a hydraulic tappet setup as opposed to shims from what ive been told but there is so much mixed info on the subject i dont kinow what to believe.

So nearly a month in since first post and ive viewed more and read more but in reality am none the wiser !

I'm simple. Only owned one Toyota to date. She's a '97 Prado, diesel automatic. Got her for less than £1,350 with full MOT. Little corrosion underside considering her age, twin batteries, never let me down and wouldn't change her for the world. But then, I've never driven any other series so can't really offer a rounded opinion.

You have done what i should have done - found a good one and stuck with it !

Trouble is that I was spoilt from early on so thought they were all good and looked after :(

My 19 year old chassis could do with a lick of paint but i am certain i could not knock any rust off it with a hammer . The underside of the body does not need painting and i found a bit of minor paint bubbling under one arch flare .
She has been bruised and battered waded in rivers and sunk in mud during my 4 years of ownership and i would rather drive through a carwash than get the pressure washer out (always assuming i will get it undersealed soon) so the underside has not been cared for much at all .

As Beau says - have patience

Had a trip around the country and was passing Nathans area today so popped in for a couple of hours with the man and his collection of tidy vehicles !

His 100 certainly is the best one that you will find currently I believe (and ive viewed a good few now) !

Mechanically sound, a pleasure to drive, no rust or body damage of any type as you would expect from him really. A drive in his showed me what a good 100 should drive like !

Unfortunatly out of my budget but I think im now pretty set on not hunting for any more 100's as he is asking less than he should for his (as I told him) and budget for me is not close enough for m to even offer to him without offending him I expect !

A very nice guy thats well in the know and someone is going to get a fully sorted Amazon !

Off to look at 120 tomorrow hopefully and depending on how that goes will decide if im still going to be hunting them or if I should just go back to older stuff and save some money (80 / 90 / Hilux Surf).

Not a clue what I'm looking at with them and the chances of a decent standard one must be slim ?!

So many people out there hunting them I expect it's like buying property in London !

If you want to chat about a 80 Paul I am more then give me a shout.

I did think of you Stu and thats a kind offer :)

I think finding a decent one for sale to start with is a hard point though !

Looked at the 120 this morning and they are nice and of the right size but not that much nicer to be in than my Prado from the short experience I had. Saying that though having everything on it being 10 years newer would certainly be a plus point !

Back to hunting :(

I have driven lots of cruisers and did find a 100 the other day I nearly brought but due to my operation could look underneath properly and the interior body needs a fair bit. although it was the best one I have driven and certainly the quickest I have been in.

Maybe I will go back in a week or 2.

Does the first 100s have a 2 pin front diff?

120s do go like stink but alot I have come across have been pretty rusty. they drive very well but not sure if they are much better then a 95 series

I do regret selling my 95 to you that was a big mistake and I would have that back for a family car tomorrow if it was offered.

I am off work at the moment Paul and moved near the airport so if you passing pop in for a chat.

I have driven lots of cruisers and did find a 100 the other day I nearly brought but due to my operation could look underneath properly and the interior body needs a fair bit. although it was the best one I have driven and certainly the quickest I have been in.

Maybe I will go back in a week or 2.

Does the first 100s have a 2 pin front diff?

120s do go like stink but alot I have come across have been pretty rusty. they drive very well but not sure if they are much better then a 95 series

I do regret selling my 95 to you that was a big mistake and I would have that back for a family car tomorrow if it was offered.

I am off work at the moment Paul and moved near the airport so if you passing pop in for a chat.
I like my 100, but I would swap it any day for a 70 series double cab or troopy/prado with a minimum of 3.0lt diesel.

Back