Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What a mistake that was ! Advice to come back required !

I have read this thread cover to cover and you could virtually replace everyone of Paulpens comments with my own! I am in virtually precisely the same boat.
Drove a 100, sex on legs and smitten with it. 80s are too old for me, I don't need the serious off road abilities, and I am not mechanical enough to be confident buying something that bit older ,of course they are my favourite to look at!
I am now noticing prices of 120s and wondering why I am struggling to get 10k together for a 100 when I can get a newer 120 for 6-8k. But one look at the new bubble car design compared to the boxy tankess of 100s and I struggle! I do also need the best MPG I can get (while still owning a LC) so the 120 is definitely an attraction there as I hear they are a fair bit better on fuel. I am sure the 120 would give me plenty of smiles, but I made the mistake of driving a 100 and it's hard to undo that experience!

Ive not been able to post on here alot in the last few months but still about :)

I think the 80's and 100's are more "work" vehicles that have added luxury where as the 90s and 120s are more family vehicles with decent spec :)

Ill be selling my 90 at some point in the future for a couple of reasons that are certainly no fault of the vehicle :)

Hiya, I still just sort of ignore comments mentioning 90, 95 or 105, I have had it explained but I can't get all the models into my thick skull so for now there are 80s, 100s and 120s :D
I drove a 120 today, oh my god it's not a patch on the 100. It just felt like a chunk of plastic. Maybe the low mileage mint 100 I drove the other day spoiled me, but I really did not enjoy driving the 120 for a second. The gear stick made plastic sounds when changing gear, shutting the tailgate sounded worse than my old rusty discovery, the noise from the engine was as bad as my last disco 2, the 100 seems far more family friendly to me but then I am a huge motor and leather kinda guy (not just in bed) :D

thats me pretty much dead set on a 100 i think. oh dear, the bank balance is going to suffer! (but the grin will be ear to ear)

Was it a manual? The 100 is a real "Luxobarge", especially the later ones. One thing to consider, at the same time when they were new, the 100 was a lot more to buy than the 120. In fact at the time there wasn't much at all more expensive than the 100 so I guess thats why you like it better.

Maybe, I didn't know anything about prices, but I know quality when I feel it under my ar5e and all around me!! The 100 just seemed like a rolls royce in comparison. Quiet, smooth, spacious, just sex on wheels. The 120 felt like Land Rover had tried to make one similar, and failed :D
Obviously this is all subjective, and of course I could have tried a bad one, it's only one car after all. But opinions are like ar5eholes, we all have one, and I certainly don't doubt anyone on this forum who says they are great motors. I just fell in love with the 100 when I sat in it let alone drove it (and it didn't drive great due to an apparent problem with a rear wheel sticking and squealing at slow speeds). The 120 in comparison felt lightweight, plasticy, noisier and overall had a cheap feel. Of course that's compared to a 100, not compared to a ford mondeo or a million other vehicles.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just counting my pennies! Also want my mate to inspect it for me as I ain't exactly as mechanical as most posters on here. If anyone has any tips on what to look for on a 100 series (51 plate) I am all ears :)

Just counting my pennies! Also want my mate to inspect it for me as I ain't exactly as mechanical as most posters on here. If anyone has any tips on what to look for on a 100 series (51 plate) I am all ears :)

Like Noddy's best mate then:laughing-rolling:.

Seriously if a 100 is your choice ( and I cant fault you) have a damn good look around. The AHC is problematic and if you find one with a ton of money already spent you may be in with a chance. The GX's dont have AHC and with just steel supporting the weight give a nicer ride.
Bodywork can perforate at the corners of the wheel arches and the tailgates are another cause for concern but you may find one which has had the recall and had them replaced.
Just check that everything electrical works as even S/H parts are very dear especially rear diff lock, steering wheel motors, electric aerial in fact anything with a switch inc. air con.
Usually the drivetrain is pretty bulletproof but interiors can be tired at this age so its something to consider.

If you can find an Aussie import they can be VX spec but don't have AHC.

Don't rush in, there's plenty about and not everyone is queuing to buy such a large and potentially expensive investment.
I think Trevor on the forum is selling a well sorted 100 series, might be X reg but might be wrong on that, you could do a lot worse.

Good luck with your search.

Like Noddy's best mate then:laughing-rolling:.

You laugh all you want, at least my misses has some handles to grab hold of when I introduce her to the plush rear cargo area. Bugger, if I only I meant what I just said and wasn't over the hill. :D

Some great advice there Andy thanks. I still don't know what AHC is but suspect it's the raise/lower height thingie. I am not sure it works on this one, will be querying that before I go ahead if I do go ahead with the one I am looking at.

Trevor - who the f is alice? :D Is there a classifieds section somewhere, I better go look! (I am not decided on a particular car yet, but the only one in the country which isn't 4+ hours drive away, is 80k miles, mint condition (at first glance, will have it on ramp for inspection properly with a mechanic friend before buying) and bloody expensive (12k) but if service history is good and it's mint (for 2001 car) underneath, it might be worth the extra grand or two compared to others I have seen online cheaper. I know its never wise to rush, but I am in a bit of a rush due to life stuff going on soon, need rid of my car and need new one here and time to sort it how i need it before life takes over again, then winter I hope to start being really fastidious and maybe do some tricks to it based on what i read on this great forum! First thing will be reverse cam android stereo, fitted one to my wife's van and it's effin superb! (cheap chinese jobbie, not expensive chinese jobbie like the Halfords typical brands :D)

The main advantage of the local one is that I can get my mechanic friend (ex owner of 4 x 100 series Amazons) to go through it with a torch on the ramp (with me) and tut and moan about ANYTHING before buying. All other options require a bit of a gamble although backed by the consumer rights act and the old 30 day refund if fault found (i have used this before on one of several lemons bought from dealers far away).

Anyway, best go and see if I can find this Trevor feller. Thanks again for all the help

Send him a PM ( private message) but if the one you are interested turns out good on inspection then hey ho you are sorted. The incorrectly functioning AHC would have to be sorted first though to start with and check everything else works.

Thanks, I tried to trawl through the classifieds but don't have time to run through every ad so not sure how to find him, Do you know his username please?
I am not exactly sorted yet, I have some concerns about this vehicle (kick in the back on gear change which needs investigating, AHC etc)
If the AHC is not working, what are the options? Can it just be ignored? Should it be fixed, or replaced, and any idea of costs?
Oh and I should probably ask, HOW do you know if the AHC is working? Do you just press "low" or "high" and expect to sit there and watch it raise or lower? Does it work with engine running and still at idle or do you need to be moving along.... ?

Last edited:
To agree with the others when you go looking at 100's rust is number 1 and electrics is number 2 !

History and signs of a caring owner would be rather important too.

I viewed many 100's all over the country and all had rust other than Nathans and that one was out of budget. And when I say rust im not talking bubbles im talking make holes with a half decent press of the finger !

Ah I see thats handy info thanks. The one I was going for has been wax oiled and I hate that unless done when brand new, in which case I like it as I live near the sea and know the benefit of wax oil if its not used to cover up scary crap for a new buyer!
I am now considering this one..... hopefully I am safe to post this on forum and not be gazumped due to location - it's a monster journey from Cornwall to get that one, but the price and mileage are damn good.
http://www.alexandertractors.com/inventory/toyota-landcruiser-amazon/

Main drawback is you can't check MOT history for N.I. cars. Just spoke to the dealer and he bought this to sell, it wasn't a trade in. I asked what isn't working and he said steering rake adjust motor gone which is true of just about all 100s I have enquired about.
He said the AHC definitely works.
It was owned by one family who had it serviced at Toyota, although they did mention that there is a bit of rust on two wings. They sold the car to a man who returned it saying there was one stamp missing in the service schedule. It was not serviced every year but due to low mileage/use it was serviced every time the mileage said it should be, except ONE which it missed. This was apparently why the guy returned it, but who knows, and this makes me quite nervous. They have two wings to replace the ones with corrosion (which was all arranged for the other buyer who has now returned it). I can't see any rust in pictures (not noticeable anyway) so again this is a bit odd, but maybe they are just the good old fashioned type of outfit who sort things out for their customers and this one changed his mind, maybe the fuel costs, maybe the servicing really did bother him, but not sure i believe that, sounds like he is making stuff up to return it. Hard to know really.
The dealer is putting it up on ramp and getting me a load of photos and video of underneath so that should help give me a better idea. But its certainly a nice spec, mileage etc for the price tag. Just because most people can't be bothered to travel that far for a car, could mean I can bag a decent priced amazon. On other hand, it could be a lemon and I am left high and dry for my travel costs! hmmmmm

Back