Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What are the key differences between the 80 and 105 variants?

mike smith

Country Flag
australia
I have been reading about the 105 and the 80 series and i am very confused, which is normal for me. I read that they are basically the same, but different in many ways, now have i read this wrong.

I see that i can buy parts for the 105 series that fit the 80 series, so what are the basic issues with these two vehicles. I do notice some 80 series have rear barn doors and some havent, yet the 105 has the normal rear doors, i know what it was, the Japanese were having a joke when they brought out the 105, i always said they had a strange sense of humour.

I have been reading about the 105 and the 80 series and i am very confused, which is normal for me. I read that they are basically the same, but different in many ways, now have i read this wrong.

I see that i can buy parts for the 105 series that fit the 80 series, so what are the basic issues with these two vehicles. I do notice some 80 series have rear barn doors and some havent, yet the 105 has the normal rear doors, i know what it was, the Japanese were having a joke when they brought out the 105, i always said they had a strange sense of humour.

Some 105s have barn doors, some 80s have tailgates (like your 105) - it depends on what trim level they came with....

And if you can work out what they hell Toyota Australia were thinking when the spec'd some of their range, then you're doing better than most people... for example my 4Runner is a V6 Olympic Spirit... has most of the goodies of an SR5 (top spec) but no cruise control, manual hubs instead of the ADD system and no flares. Made perfect sense to someone along the line...

The main difference is the body and maybe the chassis in order to accommodate the different body.

It doesn’t stop there, there are upgrades of things which may look the same as the 80, the steering box for example, has some beefier components inside (eg. the sector shaft) but by and large the rest is similar.

Best to check that part numbers are the same (on ToyoDiy or similar) before assuming components or parts are identical and interchangeable.

So Clive, are you basically saying that a 105 is effectively an 80 series running gear but with the new 100 series cabin / body dropped on top? Like a sort of hybrid 80/100? How very confusing.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So Clive, are you basically saying that a 105 is effectively an 80 series running gear but with the new 100 series cabin / body dropped on top? Like a sort of hybrid 80/100? How very confusing.

‘Tis that Chris, t’ be sure, an’ all that... an’ just that....

....and they changed engines... erm, sometimes, and doors, and they did different colours...

I thought they were a separate thing anyway, that the chassis was built in the toyota plant then moved over to the Araco plant for the body to be built?

Well I'm blowed.

Thank you Clive for de-mystifying the 105!

So, are there some 80 series that come with different back doors and such? Surely not.

Well I'm blowed.

Thank you Clive for de-mystifying the 105!

So, are there some 80 series that come with different back doors and such? Surely not.

Well some (mentioning no names of course) consider that mine isn’t a proper 80, different back doors (and such), it’s not a turbo, and it has drum brakes on the back axle (the handbrake does work though...) and it’s that blue.

Heaven forbid...

So it's the turbo that causes problems with the handbrake, then. Now that does start to make sense.

Sure is, the less it goes, the easier it is to stop :lol:

Are you bored Chris?

So I have the different one to yours Clive. How often should I change the oil in the turbo and can I use the same oil as I use in the engine? Will this affect the handbrake at all?

IIRC, you can take a feed from the engine oil to the turbo, and then you don’t need to put any diesel in it after that, and you'll be going too fast to worry about your handbrake.

I have looked in the handbook but nowhere does it say at what speed the handbrake can be applied. Which I guess is lucky because mine is the 4x4 model.

When my 81 was an auto I was on a very steep hill and the hand brake wasn't working! So I forgot that there's a brake pedal and the hand book said that you should put it in park! So I did and it made a very sharp clicking sound and came to a hault! Was this ok? I was so busy trying to find the right page on the manual that I'd covered quite some distance!

I think the sharp clicking sound is usually the sound of copious quantities of pound coins leaving by the nearest exit.

I am not sure i should have started this thread, i cant stop laughing because of stupid Toyota and what they have done. It seems in Australia that Toyota had very different specs for their vehicles to what you guys have in the EU.

But hey keep up the stories they are so funny, its time for a xxxx, thats beer to you guys.

Well that's the EU for you Mike. You are lucky you moved. We have to live with these crazy things. Who knows what's going to happen with this Brexit thing. There's rumours that 4x4s are going to be banned completely.

Back