Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What budget laptop?

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
We need a new laptop, or whatever they are called nowadays..

Tbh, I'm struggling to show any interest in mauling through reviews about something I know little about.

So, what would those in the know on here recommend?

I like that middle ground of best performance for the money, before the law of diminishing returns rears its head..

As long as your'e not running a HTML editor , graphics or other resourse hungry apps a basic 350 to 400 quid model from Lenovo should do the trick for t'internet , watching films & sorting out photos etc.

Main question is, what do you use it for?

If it's just websites, consider a chromebook - that way you dont have to deal with the usual PC housekeeping, windows updates etc.

As long as your'e not running a HTML editor , graphics or other resourse hungry apps a basic 350 to 400 quid model from Lenovo should do the trick for t'internet , watching films & sorting out photos etc.
That's more like the sort of money I was looking for tbh.

Main question is, what do you use it for?

If it's just websites, consider a chromebook - that way you dont have to deal with the usual PC housekeeping, windows updates etc.
Just Internet and photos really.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just Internet and photos really.

It probably depends what you're doing with photos. If you're editing them and messing with them, you probably want a normal (windows etc) laptop. If you just put them online and view them, a chromebook might be alright as it links to google photos anyway.

I've got a asus chromebook from argos for about £200, before that I had another one for about 5 years and hammered it and worn it out. It gets abused, thrown around, but boots up almost instantly, battery lasts forever and its light to carry around. They're also handy if you're not very computer savvy and just want to use the internet without all the usual computer grief. Not saying its necessarily best for you, but worth a 5 minute look.

Entry level MacBook Air
If you're already a Mac user or you like/know Mac's that might be a good choice. But otherwise I'd steer clear from apple - you pay a premium price for a premium box - but its overkill (and £££££) for just accessing websites.

Good advice, I've had good luck with lenovo and HP over the years.

Also remember you may not need to buy new, a lot of good quality refurbished kit is available much cheaper - especially for functional business type laptops.

Businesses replace their kit frequently so the old kit ends up on the market. You can probably buy a second hand laptop for £250 that cost upwards of £1000 a few years ago. Personally I've used these guys - Refurbished Desktop PC and laptops - Buy a Cheap Second Hand Laptop UK, Tier1Online.com - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] - but there's load of places if you search.

If you're already a Mac user or you like/know Mac's that might be a good choice. But otherwise I'd steer clear from apple - you pay a premium price for a premium box - but its overkill (and £££££) for just accessing websites.

I'd go along with that, to a degree plus, if you have any old Windows programs on your existing PC they may not be compatible with Mac. I kept my Dad's Windows 7 laptop t to run the Toyota EPC parts and diagrams program plus one or two other stand alone Windows only applications. Mac's will always run quicker and they won't slow down with age as windows machines seem to do. Cheap they're not but, personally, I wouldn't go back to Windows as my only machine.

If you are in the UK Laptops direct Laptops Direct - Laptops | PCs | Monitors | Tablets | Phones - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] have good deals at times. Their A1 refurbished can save you a fortune and are only unused returns. I have no connection to the company but have used them and am typing on a Toshiba bought from them. As has been said you need to decide, A your budget, B, What are you using it for. I would avoid Apple. and I would avoid very cheap. I think a solid state hard drive (SSD) is worth paying extra for. other opinions are always available!

Regards Graeme

Anything that doesn't include windows 10 is better than anything that does include windows 10 .

Looking at chromebooks it's a simpler OS? More app based?
I like the idea of less computer related shambling but would it make it more difficult to transfer all of my current stuff over? FSMs, docs etc?

Dammit, I'm doing research..

We've got 2 chromebooks and if all you're doing is browsing ebay the forum and roughtrax like me they're brilliant as they load instant and have built in security. If you have a Google account you can link all your pictures from your phone to the laptop via Google drive. Brilliant for the money

The one thing i would add to all this is that if you have a local or regional ,well established shop or chain i would recommend buying from them.Laptops like most other tech are pretty much the same so customer service is important as getting a problem fixed is essayer locally than having to courier the thing back to an online store.Also if you go down the refurb route pay close attention to the guarantee.

Shayne although i'm no fan of Microsoft the alternatives require either more money (Apple) or more depth of knowledge (linux) Win 10 is fairly stable but good housekeeping on your PC is important.

My Mrs brother swore blind we should get a refurbed lenova thinkpad. They are all over ebay at about 300 quid, a lot of them seem to have cosmetic flaws, and I have visions of tired batteries.

I have visions of tired batteries.

Get one with a removable battery then at least you can replace it easily! Never know though - I remember replacing the internal battery on a macbook; the battery had expanded and the case almost exploded open when i got the last case screw half out.:fearscream:

Shayne although i'm no fan of Microsoft the alternatives require either more money (Apple) or more depth of knowledge (linux) Win 10 is fairly stable but good housekeeping on your PC is important.
I hate saying it but windows is probably the right answer for most users. :coldsweat:

Back