Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What CB you got? Is it any good?

Sam

Garage
I'm on the lookout for a CB. So could use any advice or experience on what's best?

Will be going in a 120 series (just in case that makes a difference to fitting). I've started hunting about for info but it's going to be my first so I'm not ashamed to say I 'aint got the foggiest... except I know its got a button, a talky bit that people can hear from afar.... and according to a giggling SWMBO who has used one - a little knob! :shock:

There are a couple of sellers on here who offer discounts for club members. See the links page as well as club discount section.

As for mounting, some screw them to the side of the transmission tunnel slightly under the dash. As mine is a temp thing, I wedge it between the passenger seat and the storage bin thingy.

As for options, you can spend as much as you want. I got a cheapie @ £50 (some say it sounds like it was closer to £30 :doh: ) but as it is only for the occasional outing, it's fine. You can spend a few hundred if you wanted.

Thanks Crispin - was hoping you might see the post :thumbup:

I was looking through the 4x4CB site when I noticed your post.. so good timing. Sounds like there's a bit to learn but should find some time tomorrow to catch up. Out of curiosity... if you've got a temp stuffed down by the seat what did you do for an aerial??

I have a mag mount with the cable trailing out the door. When I get my backside into gear,the arb bumper has a place to mount a detachable aerial...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I've got mine mounted on the transmission tunnell.

Well - I did, but got given a very nice canvas transmission pocket set from South Africa - kinda like saddle bags - so now I need to find a new location. The dog guard hosts the VHF. As soon as the ARB Sahara bar goes on the antennas will go there.

The CB is a President Walker - very happy but probably OTT for our use :lol:

I bought a 2nd hand Midland - works fine. Given that it gets used occasionally at best and it's not life or death (your mobile will work in 99% of places and where it doesn't, your CB isn't going to rescue you), it doesn't make sense to spend a ton of money unless it's something you're into.

I think the aerial, cabling and quality connections to power supply probably make more difference to performance than the quality of the actual CB unit - for our typical use anyway. But VHF gurus can offer better advice on where to spend your money. :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andrew Prince said:
I bought a 2nd hand Midland - works fine.

+1 on the Midland handheld - I also only use it very occasionally, so it's nice to be able to put it away when I don't need it. I plug it into a mag mount antenna and it works perfectly.

I'm very happy with my Albrecht AE 6490 rig :D

PB200084.jpg

I ended up with this as it fitted into the main criteria that I wanted from a rig;

Front facing speaker (as I wanted to DIN mount the rig) & Automatic channel scanning facility

There's a lot more info here with regards to my set up, with a lot of advice from others viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9478

I've got a Midland 98 mounted in the dash below the radio with a small speaker on the side of the transmission tunnel and a Sirio 3000 antenna mounted on the winch bumper and a Midland handheld as a back-up, but that usually gets used by someone on trips who doesn't have a CB :thumbup:

IMG_0233.jpg

Back