Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What does everyone think of Revive turbo cleaner?

If you let your oil get dirty and crappy the crankcase breather is sucked in to inlet side of the Turbo and with condensation in the rocker box in cool temps especially on short stop/start trips it can gum up the inlet tract right through including the turbo , intercooler and map filter with a mayo like cream oil/water mix . which can harden on the turbo as it gets hot .

Ive never seen that in a Diesel engine, it’s far more of a problem in petrol engines due to the larger amounts of water vapour produced. Even if there was such a build up of such crap in the intake would you really want to flush it through a running engine?

It looks as though it is probably a similar product to this for gas turbines: http://www.turbo-k.co.uk
A bit cheaper per litre, though smallest size is 20 litres @ about £200.

What he said:
Given the price per litre of these products I prefer to spend my cash on a decent single malt.Of course this does nothing for my turbo but after a couple of glasses who cares? Seriously most of these products are IMO of dubious value & if the manufacturer had anything approaching verifiable scientific data it would be on the can in large , bold type .caveat emptor.

I personally suspect this is reiki healing for diesels - does sod all, but if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Given the price per litre of these products I prefer to spend my cash on a decent single malt.Of course this does nothing for my turbo but after a couple of glasses who cares? Seriously most of these products are IMO of dubious value & if the manufacturer had anything approaching verifiable scientific data it would be on the can in large , bold type .caveat emptor.
Caveat Emptor Indeed. Wise words...

Ive never seen that in a Diesel engine, it’s far more of a problem in petrol engines due to the larger amounts of water vapour produced. Even if there was such a build up of such crap in the intake would you really want to flush it through a running engine?
when I was living in the UK up in west yorkshire , I only did 2 miles to work and 2 miles back and having a oil catch can the amount of condensation was incredible in winter that mixed with oil caused a lot of gunge and that was with clean oil , the oil cap use to have it also when I removed it , had I not had a oil catch can I would not have noticed it , The oil catch can trapped it all in so I just used to empty it out every week , If you spay stuff through your intake with the soot and oil from the EGR valve and the crankcase fumes IMO you could block up your inlet manifold by pushing it all through and with whats already in the inlet manifold can gum it all up , I have already deleted my EGR valve and vented crank case fumes to air , after I cleaned out the EGR and the inlet manifold which was an allday job and a lot of black gunk which was soot from the egr and oil from the crankcase mixed together . and that was with just 70 k miles I had only done one thousand miles in the car since I bought it before I decided to clean it out . I was amazed how much black crap had built up in the egr and manifold . That is why I decided to delete the Egr so I wont have to do it all again , plus the car drives much better more power and smoother engine .

Last edited by a moderator:
Well heres my two pence!!! Its not snake oil but it isn't as good at they say it is! Its done very very little.. "Checked with bore camera in places" before and afters. & in my opinion its not worth doing...

when I was living in the UK up in west yorkshire , I only did 2 miles to work and 2 miles back and having a oil catch can the amount of condensation was incredible in winter that mixed with oil caused a lot of gunge and that was with clean oil , the oil cap use to have it also when I removed it , had I not had a oil catch can I would not have noticed it , The oil catch can trapped it all in so I just used to empty it out every week , If you spay stuff through your intake with the soot and oil from the EGR valve and the crankcase fumes IMO you could block up your inlet manifold by pushing it all through and with whats already in the inlet manifold can gum it all up , I have already deleted my EGR valve and vented crank case fumes to air , after I cleaned out the EGR and the inlet manifold which was an allday job and a lot of black gunk which was soot from the egr and oil from the crankcase mixed together . and that was with just 70 k miles I had only done one thousand miles in the car since I bought it before I decided to clean it out . I was amazed how much black crap had built up in the egr and manifold . That is why I decided to delete the Egr so I wont have to do it all again , plus the car drives much better more power and smoother engine .

Id be very interested to learn more of your mod Tony as I have been thinking of putting a catch tank in... do you have any pics or links?

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well heres my two pence!!! Its not snake oil but it isn't as good at they say it is! Its done very very little.. "Checked with bore camera in places" before and afters. & in my opinion its not worth doing...

Id be very interested to learn more of your mod Tony as I have been thinking of putting a catch tank in... do you have any pics or links?

Cheers
I don't know how to put pics up on here but , me and Dervis have both got got catch cans on our cars , even though Dervis has an 80 series and mine a 120 he showed me his and I showed him mine (catch cans) its the same way it is fitted , I order 3 metres of 16mm internal dimension silicone vacuum hose that can handle oil vapors , as I wanted it to vent it far away from going in side the car , you can get a catch can on ebay an alloy one for about £20 , it should have a outside mesure tube to show how much fluid is in the tank , and a drain plug , and two inlet pipes at the top of the can , I fitted it to the side of the inerwing opposite the crankcase vent pipe , there were already holes available so I didn't have to drill any , I disconnected the crankcase hose that feeds the crankcase oil vapors to the Turbo inlet where the air filter sends the air and blocked it by capping the hose I turned the hose 90 degrees and capped it as it is a corner hose on my car , so no dirty air is sucked in by the Turbo , then I connected a hose cut to size from the rocker cover crank case vent where I removed the crankcase hose and connected it to the catch can , so that now the crankcase vapors and condensation are now going into the catch can , then I connected about two metres of hose to the other pipe left on the catch can and fed it along the bulkhead of the engine bay and down the side of the opposite inner wing down to the side of the chassis where the ac water tube exits water which I extended a few inches so the water from the ac doesn't run down the side of the chassis , All though its taken a long story to tell you how , its very simple and easy to do . If you need any more info or help don't hesitate to ask . PS sorry I was late in replying I didn't see it

Last edited by a moderator:
I fitted a catch can to the 80, it’s a Vauxhall part, from a Vectra I think the parts guy said it was. It fits in the space between the rocker cover and the air box. It’s basically just a gauze filter to trap the oil mist/vapour before the gasses pass into the inlet tract. There’s no level indication but it can be removed in seconds and I just empty and flush it every 1K miles or so. I’d say it traps 90%+ of the oil that would’ve gone throug the turbo. Venting out to the atmosphere is a bad idea as, sooner or later, you’re going to get oil drips from the pipe end.

I fitted a catch can to the 80, it’s a Vauxhall part, from a Vectra I think the parts guy said it was. It fits in the space between the rocker cover and the air box. It’s basically just a gauze filter to trap the oil mist/vapour before the gasses pass into the inlet tract. There’s no level indication but it can be removed in seconds and I just empty and flush it every 1K miles or so. I’d say it traps 90%+ of the oil that would’ve gone through the turbo. Venting out to the atmosphere is a bad idea as, sooner or later, you’re going to get oil drips from the pipe end.
Well on my catch can I have it as high as I can under the bonnet so the oil is not pushed up the smooth silicone pipe and just the gas/oil vapor comes out and most of the oil runs back into the rocker box ,the vapor goes through the catch can and out of the exit tube as smoke , but when I was living in the UK oil vapor mixed with condensation in cold weather used to collect in the catch can as mayo type gunge . its better to collect it in the catch can than go through the inlet of the turbo and in to the intercooler .

I fitted a catch can to the 80, it’s a Vauxhall part, from a Vectra I think the parts guy said it was. It fits in the space between the rocker cover and the air box. It’s basically just a gauze filter to trap the oil mist/vapour before the gasses pass into the inlet tract. There’s no level indication but it can be removed in seconds and I just empty and flush it every 1K miles or so. I’d say it traps 90%+ of the oil that would’ve gone throug the turbo. Venting out to the atmosphere is a bad idea as, sooner or later, you’re going to get oil drips from the pipe end.

Tow pack any chance of a picture? I might copy you. Thks

Back