Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What have you or plan to put behind your Gullwings??

cmcmill01

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Was wondering want people have already put behind or are planning to put behind there Gullwings when they get them??
Was thinking cups and plates, knives and fork's etc.. on one side and not sure the otherside??
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfLfAVazSeVPjNdh-sNTQQXCFuPVd_KpFI7gvHFR55znXAlErF.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0kg-IDozK1iQdC5c5GzITVmK7hMeZBoWxqJExIK8pox5U2UBR.jpg

My intention is to put all the stuff that needs to stay with the truck, slings, tow straps, ropes, shackles, that sort of thing. Plus other things when I think of them.

Good thread BTW (no reason, no reason at all. [emoji6])

On the drivers side I plan on having the JetBoil and associated mugs and food utensils plus anything else to do with food, on the other side, at the moment, I plan on leaving it open for access.

On the drivers side I plan on having the JetBoil and associated mugs and food utensils plus anything else to do with food, on the other side, at the moment, I plan on leaving it open for access.
I think you want the brew kit on the passenger side,or you will be next to the traffic if say you are in a layby

I reckon I want to use the tailgate for brewing up/cooking so I'll be keeping brew/cook gear in a draw.

Don't think I'd get all my recovery gear in one side, so both sides for recovery gear, first aid kit, torch/lantern, hi-viz/foul weather coat if it'll fit

I intend making the cubby fit right down to the wheel arch and put a floor in it at hatch level. I can then either make that accessible through the Gullwing hatch, or from the rear by lowering the tailgate.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I intend making the cubby fit right down to the wheel arch and put a floor in it at hatch level. I can then either make that accessible through the Gullwing hatch, or from the rear by lowering the tailgate.

That's exactly my intention too Rich, I think that extending it to the wheel arch will give extra support. I picked the drivers side for that as my Hannibal awning is on that side.

Yep like the idea extending down to the wheel arch as well.
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...deas-Materials-layout-etc?p=426002#post426002

Think my camping box is a little tall, which actually good be a good thing, I can mount some wood from it.
Ideally want to remove some bits from the bottom drawer, move them behind one of the gullwings and then mount the 2 ring stove into the drawer instead with a nice drawer at 90 deg. Think I saw the idea on the flip top 70 series somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
With the OP's permission, perhaps this thread could be extended a tad to include the material you folks intend to use to build the cubby.

For me, it's probably going to be MDF, certainly 18mm on the back to allow for screws but quite possibly 9mm on the sides. Open to thoughts though.

I was thinking probably a combination of ally and MDF. I don't have access to a bending machine so I thought MDF panels with sheet ally attached where necessary.

I was thinking probably a combination of ally and MDF. I don't have access to a bending machine so I thought MDF panels with sheet ally attached where necessary.

That was another thought I had, though I ended up with so many possible options it sort of morphed into the all MDF version to allow for easier fixing. Part of me wants to go for MDF rear sides so that I can fix to them easily but I would rather try to keep the weight down as I'm already down on me buffers!

Yes weight was one of my considerations as well as ease of assembly. So far I am envisaging an MDF floor and back panel and the sides and top as ally, all nicely carpeted of course.

My plan is to put the kitchen on the passenger side and recovery gear on driver side. Awning is already on the passenger side and RTT will overhang driver side where I will have shower out let.

View attachment 24702

Here is my drawers already in place in the back. Just got to get my Gullwing in, to complete the rest. My 3rd battery will go in on the left(passenger side) where the car jack was(got a high jack). On the Right(driver side) my air compressor will go in the body cavity behind the wheel arch to create more space (still need to make brackets up for it).

I'm going to use 12mm ply to box out the rest.

I'm amazed no one has suggested an optix and bottle of scotch

I'm amazed no one has suggested an optix and bottle of scotch

Not Scotch, Brandy maybe and who needs an optic? when the glass is full that's the measure.

I guess there's no real reason a small set of transverse drawers could not be built in behind a Gullwing. Hadn't thought of anything but what I originally had in mind but this thread has seriously got me thinking now.

I started building my hatch storage units here is the passenger side.
026.JPG029.JPG

Wow, you have been busy Paul! I hadn't thought of doing a step inside (presumably this was dictated by your drawer system) but it makes a very useful shelf arrangement. I'm going to enjoy seeing what appears behind the gullwings so I hope everyone posts what they do with theirs on here. [emoji4]

Last edited:
Couldn't see the photo on your post 13 Paul hence I think my surprise at the step.

Did you utilise the connection frame on the rear of the Gullwing frame? Looks like you may not have from the photos. Interested to see if it is as useful as I thought it might be.

Last edited:
Back