Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What have you or plan to put behind your Gullwings??

Looking good Chas. Like the way you've used the seat belt mounts to secure it in, that's neat. Also looks like quite a light construction to keep the weight down.

Yes I was quite surprised at how light it was when finished, the frame is 10mm square tube and the MDF is 5/6mm the 'carpet' is more like felt, it has no backing, so no weight there.
I will be putting some sort of bungee cords in to hold plates, I saw that idea in a post by someone else so I nicked that, I also put in a magnetic knife rack that idea was nicked from Chris J, you can see that at the back of the box. I'm sure there will be other mods in the future.
I'm very pleased with the gullwings, thanks Rich, it has freed up space in the rear drawer and also where the microwave used to live, which now at that height is much easier to use.

Great stuff Chas. I'm liking the variety of uses that have so far materialised. Keep em coming. :)

I was so lucky the other day, I had been working on wiring up the microwave and had left one gullwing open while I went indoors for a coffee intending to go back to the garage later. I forgot all about it and the next day I went out to archery.
To get out onto the road I have to drive down a narrow access road between the houses either side, there's about 3" either side of the wing mirrors, I heard this light scraping noise, a quick look in the mirrors and couldn't see any thing wrong so I thought one of the wing mirrors must have touched, getting onto the road I got out to check and then noticed the gullwing open, 1/2" to the right coming down that access road and it would have been ripped off.

Last edited:
I was so lucky the other day, I had been working on wiring up the microwave and had left one gullwing open while I went indoors for a coffee intending to go back to the garage later. I forgot all about it and the next day I went out to archery.
To get out onto the road I have to drive down a narrow access road between the houses either side, there's about 3" either side of the wing mirrors, I heard this light scraping noise, a quick look in the mirrors and couldn't see any thing wrong so I thought one of the wing mirrors must have touched, getting onto the road I got out to check and then noticed the gullwing open, 1/2" to the right coming down that access road and it would have been ripped off.
:auto-driving::scared-eek:

Hmmm, maybe I need to carry spares in stock!

A magnetic switch wired into the interior lights would bring on the door open light on the dash. :icon-idea:

It's easy done! I did the same thing leaving a campsite in the Alps, lucky one of the other chaps alerted me on the CB!

I've changed my mind about boxing them in having used them on a trip, so easy to get stuff like tent ladder, awning sides, and stuff out the back of the cargo net without climbing over the back. All my brew gear goes in one of the draws, think I prefer it that way as I'd use the tailgate anyway. Still thinking about altering the storage solution so I have the option to put back seats back in tho.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've changed my mind about boxing them in having used them on a trip, so easy to get stuff like tent ladder, awning sides, and stuff out the back of the cargo net without climbing over the back.
I've left one side unboxed for that same reason.

I'm still umming and ahhhing about ideal layout, I could change the ladder for one of those telescoping jobbies, but I'm not that keen on them tbh S8300046_zpsbkbw1lek.jpg

or with back seats in, and the fridge the other way round (one seat folded up) it'd give me a little more leg room, and the ladder/awning poles could go on the back of the storage solution. I guess it works OK as is, and I've not needed back seats yet!S8300045_zpsf6dty8lq.jpg

That's a point I hadn't thought of. And that's one serious bike rack!! :o

I was so lucky the other day, and then noticed the gullwing open, 1/2" to the right coming down that access road and it would have been ripped off.

Not sure if the 80 is the same but my truck has a beeper so i can't forget to turn headlights off , be handy if you could hook up the gullwings to the same system . Just a suggestion .

That's what I was thinking Shayne, a switch linked into the interior light would do the trick, as it would sound the key warning with a door open and bring on the warning light. Something for me to look into.

Last edited:
On the drivers side I plan on having the JetBoil and associated mugs and food utensils plus anything else to do with food, on the other side, at the moment, I plan on leaving it open for access.
Now the other side has a MOLLE panel, I've yet to decide just what I will fix to it. As I now kip inside the truck instead of on top one thing I will put on it is a small pouch where my specs will live while I'm in the land of Nod.

Molle 2.jpg
Molle 1.jpg

I have to say Chas, I'm surprised at how little depth your cubby takes up and that it contains your microwave. It looks like it frees up quite a bit of space by giving that gear a set home.

Back