Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What is the ruling on Bull bars?

warrenpfo

I am about to push the button on an ARB bar and want to know as the law stands today what is the legality of modding my 100 and installing the bar is.

I have been told many stories that certain bars are legal and other are not.
That all bars are only legal if installed with a winch.
I have been told that only if I am exporting my car and have proof from the shippers that I can then have a bar installed.
I have been told that if I go into Europe for a weekend have a bar installed and return then it is legal.
I have been told that if I install a bar and am stopped by the police with or with out a winch on the bar I can have my car confiscated.
I have been told if I have an accident and don’t have a winch on the bar I am liable no matter whose fault it is.
I have also been told that if I am stopped and the bar is questioned then just say it was bought with it on and you are not held liable then.

All very interesting stories and some that have made me think twice but was wondering what the facts are. On asking the local bobby he said he could not help and to call the DVLA but i tried that and was asked why i want to but a BAR on my car so just hung up there and then.

warrenpfo said:
I am about to push the button on an ARB bar and want to know as the law stands today what is the legality of modding my 100 and installing the bar is.

I have been told many stories that certain bars are legal and other are not.
That all bars are only legal if installed with a winch.
I have been told that only if I am exporting my car and have proof from the shippers that I can then have a bar installed.
I have been told that if I go into Europe for a weekend have a bar installed and return then it is legal.
I have been told that if I install a bar and am stopped by the police with or with out a winch on the bar I can have my car confiscated.
I have been told if I have an accident and don’t have a winch on the bar I am liable no matter whose fault it is.
I have also been told that if I am stopped and the bar is questioned then just say it was bought with it on and you are not held liable then.

All very interesting stories and some that have made me think twice but was wondering what the facts are. On asking the local bobby he said he could not help and to call the DVLA but i tried that and was asked why i want to but a BAR on my car so just hung up there and then.

Hi
Cannot remember who it was, but some one put a post on about bars a few weeks ago, do a search !

Also how did you go on with the Air-con ?

Ran a search and got some info so will go on that. So long as its a 2007 or earlier car and they cant prove you fitted it sooner.

Still working on the aircon Paul, i have a date with Pirtek this weekend.

I did a post about this in a Bens Bumper Build in the 70 section.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9856&start=18

Its my understanding that its been against the law to make a bumber for sale that is not to current specs (Soft version) for fittment to any UK vehicle since the law changed.

The EU law relating to Frontal Proection systems (Bull bar Law) is 2005/66/EC, other laws relating to Pedestrian Protection are 2003/102/EC.

So after 2003 you cant buy a new one and if you car is after 2003 you cant have one. The "Winch Bumper" get out clause is a grey area and untested in UK law and as far as i can see its only being used because winches do need to be fitted to some vehicles. If it is tested in a UK court you can be sure that you would need to prove that having a winch is essential. If your LC is after 2003 fitting one may well invalidate you insurance but they may accept a "Winch Bumper" if you tell them up front.

Earlier LC's (Pre 2003) can have bull bars fitted but as its against the law for someone to sell you a new one that is not up to spec you cant buy one. Buying one and fitting one that is from earlier than 2003 to an earlier than 2003 is not illegal (As far as i can see) as the law is not retrospective., however you may need to be able to prove that your bumper is older that 2003.

I have had it from a UK Barrister that a Bumper only becomes a winch bumper when a winch is fitted. Without a winch its just a bumper so remember you have to fit a winch and saying "I am going to fit i winch later" will not do. Saying that if a winch has been fitted and removed for repairs............................... You get my drift but the test case is going to be a bloody Nightmare

A bull bar without a winch is considered decoration and therefore illegal.

Fit a winch and it becomes pierce of equipment.

Buying a bar and then taking the attitude that I will fit a wincg later wil not do. Its quite straight forward - no winch illegal - with winch OK.

So, to add a further conundrum,

Is a "A" bar the same as a bull bar?

I understand "A" bars are legal.

I understand a bull bar is a full frontal protection piece.
Where an "A" bar is a much lighter, and cut down affair, with no means to fit a winch to?

G.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its not a bull bar or A bar law, its frontal protection systems that are banned

http://www.frontalprotectionsystems.eu has details

Quote:

Frontal Protection System is the name given to any seperate structure or structures fixed to the front of a vehicle above or below the original bumper intended to protect the outer surface of the vehicle from damage in the event of a collision. For a full definition please see paragraph 1.7 of the 2005/66/EC directive. This includes any A frame, nudge bar, bull bar, styling element or extra bumper cover with a mass of more than 0.5 Kg.

Since the introduction of the EC directive (2005/66/EC), it has been illegal in any EU member state to sell or distribute a Frontal Protection System or FPS, without first obtaining a type approval for the vehicle for which it is intended to fit. An example of the certificate issued for a type approved FPS can be seen Here. In any EU country, if the FPS you wish to purchase or fit to your vehicle has an EU certificate and the part has the "e" number stamped or indelibly printed on it, it is perfectly legal. If it does not, then it is illegal to be sold.

The control of this is different in each EU country. For more information select the country you wish to know about. We have information on some but not all. If you can supply information about your country and we can verify it, we will include it here.

Back