Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

what replacement amp and sub?

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Stock subs been blown for a while. I know it was never great but im sure it did something.
anyone know of a replacement with amp that will fit in the stock location and use the stock wiring?

I dont want to make a project of this and the days of spending friday night at maccys are long gone..

If the sub's blown, why replace the amp as well? I'd think just measure up the sub, diameter and depth and replace with one? Stock wiring may have to be spliced to power aftermarket sub, usually just two wires.

If the sub's blown, why replace the amp as well? I'd think just measure up the sub, diameter and depth and replace with one? Stock wiring may have to be spliced to power aftermarket sub, usually just two wires.
I thought maybe id get a bit more kick with a small modern amp and sub? just replacing the speaker is certainly the easiest option.

The stock wiring isn't enough to power a proper amp, you would need to route a power cable, you can get adapters to convert speaker cables to an rca output for an amp but they're not great imo.

I have an 8" sub in the stock location with an amp, doesn't use any of the stock wiring.

If you're using the stock stereo then I doubt there will be a sub outlet at the back, though I could be wrong? What does your dash look like?

But as said above, you'll have to use a line out converter to get your RCA inputs. Not the best method, but I've used it before and they worked fine in my opinion. Then it's just a matter of running a power wire through the cabin to wherever you decide to hide/mount the amp. Then your speaker wire from the amp to the sub. Maybe if you can find the stock amp that drives that sub you can use the same location, though stock amps tend to be tiny.

thanks for the replys. my oem head unit has long gone, I now have a Chinese double din unit.

I might just replace the sub with another working oem one for the time being. ive taken off trim and dash parts way to much over the last couple of years to start doing it again any time soon..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm looking for an under-seat mounted sub that pairs with the double-din JVC unit I've got fitted in my 80.

I know nothing about compatibility issues or wiring the thing in, but I don't think there's anything particularly complicated about the idea.

The JVC unit is currently driving 4x9" speakers and the 4xpaired tweeters which are mounted in the four doors. The sound is ok, but it lacks that extra bit of oomph that would compliment it nicely, especially at low volume.

Any advice on type, make of sub, or other issues would be appreciated.

Quite a few cars have under seat subs which are already in a mount/ box. Depending on availability for you, if taking out of a car you can cut the plug too. Other option is make a mount yourself. You can get fairly slim subs etc.

For me the sub is purely for low range (bass) the other speakers and tweeters are amped and connected via crossovers, I have 2 amps fitted, one has the sub and front speakers, the other has the rear speakers and the tweeters.

Back