Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What Slime

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
So it would appear I have a very slow puncture in one of my tyres. Over the course of a couple of weeks it looses s pressure from 32psi down to about 18-20. Oddly, the tyre shape does not change much. There is a very slight bulge compared to the others.

I want to try some slime in it to see if it helps. I used to use it in a bike many years ago and swore by it. Never had a puncture since.

Is there any known good brand or ones I should stay away from? Any reason I should not use it?

I've not yet checked the valve, will try see if that is leaking today.

Heard lots of good things about OKO tyre sealant, but ensure it is applied properly otherwise causes balancing issues apparently. (Ask Les! )

Haven't used it, but intend to soon.

ignat said:
but ensure it is applied properly otherwise causes balancing issues apparently. (Ask Les! )

huh? It's liquid. Sloshes around until it's needed.
Paging Les...Did you strap the bottle to the inside of your wheel? :D

Bloody expensive though for a large tyre. I would need 3 bottles @£20...

Well actually the OKO stuff doesn't so much slosh around as coat the inside of the tyre, the instructions (and the people i phoned at OKO!) recommended that when you have put it in the wheel, go on a longish motorway run to make sure it is evenly distributed. Also be pretty exact in your measurements of how much you put in!

Me and Les cowboyed the measurements a little and then Les deemed that a 7 mile run (about 35 seconds worth the way Les drives) would be sufficient to distribute the stuff evenly... it would appear not.

He ended up trying to have wheels rebalanced etc etc but nothing really worked.

I have used it for years. I have it in the quad, both trailers and all my 4x4s to date. Never had a problem and whilst I have had it in, I have never had a puncture or air loss. Nope not once. I have 2 bottles lying on the passenger seat of GW as we speak waiting to go in. Make sure tyres are run in and properly balanced then add about 500ml to each tyre. Job done. Each time I have run without it, I have either had a flat of a leak. Just like I have got now.

And yes, Tony - LB has it in the Muddies that you have on.

I use OKO only because I get it locally from an Agricultural Merchant. £6.5 for a 1250ml bottle. That does me 5 tyres.

Of course you can just add a squirt to sort a troublesome tyre if you like

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crispin said:
So it would appear I have a very slow puncture in one of my tyres. Oddly, the tyre shape does not change much. There is a very slight bulge compared to the others.? I've not yet checked the valve, will try see if that is leaking today.
This is the start of a long story :roll:
Have you been off-road recently Crispin? I had a slow puncture on a front tyre after the week-end at Lincomb, and tried putting tyre sealer in which worked instantly :thumbup: but a week or so later it started going down again :thumbdown: . like you my tyre didn't change shape much but overnight it had dropped from 35psi to about 15psi, I had to get the compressor out almost every morning, for some strange reason it didn't go down every night :confusion-confused:
So I thought I'd get a couple of new STT's for the front as they were about half worn and keep the old ones for the rear when they wear down so I ordered two from http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/ they weren't the cheapest price for the tyre but they come to you, fitting and balancing included so saving the cost ot getting a local tyre place to fit them :cool: so he started his work and found the wheel nuts very tight and asked if I wanted him to continue, so I said go for it, result, two sheared studs :thumbdown: not a big problem though. Anyway when the fitter removed the tyre he found a log (well a bit of a twig) had forced it's way between the bead and rim :shock: causing the loss of air so I didn't need new tyres in the first place :doh: .
So now I needed two studs fitted, went down to Greg http://www.landcruisersoverland.com/ to get it done and when the caliper was removed we saw the material on my brake pads was paper thin so new pads were installed.
Total cost; £433, £276 for the tyres,fitted and balanced, £157 for the studs and pads inc fitting
All this because of a BLOODY TWIG :angry-screaming:

Bit of soapy water or spit on the valve just in case its loosing air that way might be a first check.

Tommo I use it in all my tyres as I said and those tyres are the same on and off road. I don't have the luxury of being able to swap sets. (yet)

Chas odd you should mention the twig. I had the same after Lincs. I had a slow leak in one tyre and laid it flat and poured water onto the rim. It leaked in about 6 places. I took a jack and broke the bead using the tow bar and found mud and twigs jammed in the bead as you did. They took some blowing out with the air line and a bit of hammering to get them to seat again. I lowered mine to about 20 psi on the say and I think that's when it all crept in.

Chris

Chris said:
Tommo I use it in all my tyres as I said and those tyres are the same on and off road. I don't have the luxury of being able to swap sets. (yet)Chas odd you should mention the twig. I had the same after Lincs. I had a slow leak in one tyre and laid it flat and poured water onto the rim. It leaked in about 6 places. I took a jack and broke the bead using the tow bar and found mud and twigs jammed in the bead as you did. They took some blowing out with the air line and a bit of hammering to get them to seat again. I lowered mine to about 20 psi on the say and I think that's when it all crept in.Chris
Yes, I had aired down too. Something to be aware of in future.

Chris said:
Tommo I use it in all my tyres as I said and those tyres are the same on and off road. I don't have the luxury of being able to swap sets. (yet)

Chas odd you should mention the twig. I had the same after Lincs. I had a slow leak in one tyre and laid it flat and poured water onto the rim. It leaked in about 6 places. I took a jack and broke the bead using the tow bar and found mud and twigs jammed in the bead as you did. They took some blowing out with the air line and a bit of hammering to get them to seat again. I lowered mine to about 20 psi on the say and I think that's when it all crept in.

Chris

Yes i mean there's two sorts, the pink one which is the on-road sort and the green one which is the offroad sealant....

Is there??? Didn't know that. I just bung the porridge coloured stuff in. Uhm, guessing it's off road. Wonder what the difference is. Are there two types of puncture? :lol: :lol:
I'ts deffo not pink.

Maybe this is for punctures at the bottom and the other is for punctures at the top? :roll:

Chris

Crispin said:
I've not yet checked the valve, will try see if that is leaking today.
Check the valve... not just the valve its self but where it seals in the rim, tip some soapy water around it when it's at 6 o'clock :thumbup:

hmm, interesting. it has started since the mud outing at Piccadilly Wood. I had sticks sticking out everywhere from front bumper to rear. A balding Porcupine came to mind...

I'll have a look over the weekend and see if I can find a leak on the bead or valves.

Chris, I think Tommo is referring to the type of slime. They sell one which is for 4x4 and one which is for "normal".
http://www.okosales.co.uk/catalog/produ ... 80c88d464a and
http://www.okosales.co.uk/catalog/produ ... 488f3e04ab

The latter says it's goo upto 45mph. Former, 185mph. If I behave, the on-road stuff should be ok for a while I am sure they have some safety margin built into those speeds :D

Chris said:
Is there??? Didn't know that. I just bung the porridge coloured stuff in. Uhm, guessing it's off road. Wonder what the difference is. Are there two types of puncture? :lol: :lol:
I'ts deffo not pink.

Maybe this is for punctures at the bottom and the other is for punctures at the top? :roll:

Chris

Indeed there are!!!
1onroad.jpg

puncture-free-tyre-sealant.jpg

Can't see Farmer Giles opting for the top one. Always a difficult choice - pink or brown. ;)

Chris

Back