Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What to do with my aftermarket sunroof.

Derek

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
So my truck came with a (poorly) fitted "zani" sunroof. Its missing the motors to move it, the button panel, the surround trim is loose and hanging, and it leaks abit when I wash the roof.

I'm in two minds to just seal in the glass part so it doesn't leak, remove the surround and get a second hand roof cloth to cover it up and forget.

However...

The creative side of me sees a world of opportunities. Like some sort of mounting plate for cb radio/aerial/lights/storage box, to a removable lid type of kinda semi convertible roof?

Any other ideas before I mount a fake 50cal. machine gun on my roof :)

Even better, a remote controlled Minigun!
.....or, more realistically a removable mounting plate for some serious off road lights/lightbars.

Couldnt you fit a oem sunroof? Im not familiar with aftermarket sunroofs..

So my truck came with a (poorly) fitted "zani" sunroof. Its missing the motors to move it, the button panel, the surround trim is loose and hanging, and it leaks abit when I wash the roof.

I'm in two minds to just seal in the glass part so it doesn't leak, remove the surround and get a second hand roof cloth to cover it up and forget.

However...

The creative side of me sees a world of opportunities. Like some sort of mounting plate for cb radio/aerial/lights/storage box, to a removable lid type of kinda semi convertible roof?

Any other ideas before I mount a fake 50cal. machine gun on my roof :)

You can also do the cheap, cheap, cheap 4x4 landrover trick !
Sheet of aluminium, silicone and rivets .....

Is it a Gs Derek?
The Gs come with a shite sunroof. The motors pack up as a common problem. They are different than the one in the vx

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Unsure of your capabilities or depth of pockets, but you could fit a complete VX assembly, hardest part would be getting the headliner to look right, although cloth was not the only option.

Regards

Dave

Is it a Gs Derek?
The Gs come with a shite sunroof. The motors pack up as a common problem. They are different than the one in the vx

Think it is yes. The motors are missing. Got one for sale?

No mate. The motors on the Gs are a common issue. May be worth a word with simon Holton.
If I remember the last time I tried sorting a Gs sunroof it works on a rack and sprocket and the sprocket wears.
I'd have a complete vx sunroof. With the vx you get the benefit of the sliding and tilting.

Removed the whole thing earlier and it has to be aftermarket. The wiring was tucked away with 12v either end that was wired to the ignition barrel with no fuse!

Would you be able to give me dimensions for a factory sunroof hole to compare it to mine? With any luck it's the same size or smaller than a genuine one.

If the hole it too big I think I can salvage it. Because the motors are missing there wasn't anything pulling the glass down into the seal hence why it would leak. Will need to make up some clamps to pull the glass down onto the frame so it seals.

In fact a vx sunroof won't work, it comes up and closes to the inside of the roof with a seal in the folded over edge, mine is just flat and it bolts down the way.

Back