Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What would you have done?

I'm appalled by the reporting of this.. it's like they can't believe he 'passed up an opportunity to be rich' instead of highlighting that it's the right thing to do. A tenner is one thing (I'd still hand in) but clearly that sort of money has a story behind it, good or bad

Under what circumstances would someone with £300k have it in a bag, in a bus, and forget it?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
FFS... This is worse than the people who carry on working after winning the lottery.
I've considered wrapping it in after matching 4 numbers ;-)

Safest way - if it's handed into the Police and unclaimed after a period of time, you get it back.

The challenge is that who ever claims it may have a bit of explaining to do, as a result of that it might not be appealing to claim it.

However, as the finder, you then end up with the money legitimately and no questions by handing it into the police...

When I was about 7 years old, circa 1960 at a guess, on my regular 1 mile walk home from school (alone) I found a pigskin wallet (I clearly remember that bit because it said “pigskin” branded into the surface on the inside) with £55 inside.

I took it home to my mum and she said I should take it to the police. So together we went to the local cop-shop (which is now I pub I believe) and when inside, she ushered me to the reception window, insisting on me being the one who reported it “found” to the police (not her).

The policeman was very proper, filled in the “found” report and he told me that my mum had done the right thing, because if the owner claims it back, that could be his and his family’s means of survival for several weeks. If not the money would be mine to keep as an unclaimed find.

We then had a knock on the door from the police about a week later (we didn’t have a phone, which was not unusual in those days) to inform us that the owner had reported the loss. And that it had been returned to him. Then the next day, the owner came to our house to thank me for handing it in. He was the local corner-shop owner, Mr. Bell, a shop where I would often spend my weekly pocket money.

He was very grateful of course and he gave me 2/6d for my honesty. 2/6d was about 5 weeks’ pocket money to me at that time, so it was a huge “thank you” in my eyes.

£55 was an inordinate amount of money to me then, considering my dad was earning something like £15/week (the average wage) then.

The value of money is relative, always was and always will be. What is loose change to some can be a weeks wages to another. I’ve learned that even more so by visiting other countries and seeing the difference in values of money and property compared with the closed society we grow up in as kids.

The cleaner on the bus was very honest handing in the £300k, but of course, as the designated cleaner of that particular bus, apart from his honesty he was probably concerned that it’s dissapearance could imply that he had found/taken it, even if proof of the fact might be more difficult.

Honesty is not dead thank goodness, I’ve had examples of this all through my life, but like everyone, I’ve also experienced the dishonesty that goes on, and sadly that tends to be considered the norm more than honesty, which is a shame.

I hope that £300k is illicit drug money and goes unclaimed. The cleaner will then get the benefit of it and rightly so, for his honesty.

I found a crisp £5 note when i was a kid and took it home to me dad who whisked me and the fiver off to the cop shop to hand it in.. And was promised its return in 6 weeks if no one claimed it.. In the mean time my brother and were caught nicking sweets in Woolworths and were cautioned by the police and were told they would come and visit our parents.. For weeks we were crapping ouselves everytime there was knock at the door .. Then two days before xmas the cops were banging on the door.... Oh Bollox i thought this is it.... The copper sat me down with me Dad.. Then casually pulled out a crisp £5 note and handed it to me praising my honesty Ruffled my hair and left... Then me Dad came back in the room snatched the fiver off me and announced he was off down the Pub...Lesson learnt, I should have kept the fiver and bought sweets instead of nicking em.

Back