Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What's NOT to like about the Oztent?

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
I am agonizing over which way to go with sleeping arrangements when touring. I have a RTT and like it, but it has downsides as well as upsides. If I were on my own I'd have a hardshell tent. But that's not the discussion I need to have. I have many ground tents and they're good, but they are camping tents. The RV series are different. They are basically a canvas bush shelter.

The current wife and I have been debating. There is no perfect answer (excepts a hotel) and I have seen RTTs Hardtops and Oztents all get bought and sold by people so it looks like I am not the only one who can't get this quite right.

So the question is, as titled, what are the down sides to an Oztent. I get the other two options so no further debate necessary thanks.

The only two downsides I can really see at the second are:

1. You are at ground level and I know that sleeping higher up is just the little bit warmer. I'd use stretcher beds in there for sure so I'd have to carry those
2. If strapped to your roof rack, they are exposed to being stolen

But what about space etc? I would have the deluxe side panels and the front panel too. I like that the dog could go outside and still be secure.

They are expensive but then what isn't.

Other than the usual ground tent downsides of wildlife being that bit nearer the only other thing I would see is that they are very big, so if you are wild camping you need a large flat,tree and bush free spot to pitch it?
Having never had one I can't comment on this, but they are big, tall and square so I wonder how they perform in windy (+/- wet) and exposed conditions?

The front and side panels are a bit of a faff and not really a quick set up. The benefit of an Oz tent imo is quick set up of the main tent for short/overnight stays with the option of extras zipped on for longer stays. Something like a small airbeam might be a better bet if you always need the full covered space to keep everyone happy.

Condensation can be an issue if you don't use the fly which adds a small amount of set up time if you do.

The frame joints are plastic and not at all over engineered so be careful to set it up right especially the RV5 with its longer sections.

I was happy with my RV3 and only swapped to the RT for independence from ground conditions. After experimenting with the drive away awning again at the weekend I think airtop with airbeam drive away is worth mentioning even though that's not the question you're asking :whistle:

Last edited:
As an owner of the RV 4 with all accessories the main downsides I have encountered:
The length (2M) means it has to go on the RR which can be a pain to put up yourself.
If you are a short a** like me you need to carry a stool to fit the extras
The flysheet is an essential not an extra. It greatly reduces condensation and allows you to sleep with windows open. It can be left in situ when folding up but does require carrying extra poles (weight).

I'm going to buy one with in the next few months, probably an RV2 or 3.

The main disadvantage for me is the length of them when packed up. They really need to go on the roof which is why I've built a roof rack. :icon-smile:

Guys all good stuff. Keep it coming. I shall keep the roof rack whatever and as a pretty big chap, throwing the Oz up there isn't a problem. I have lifted the RTT up there on my own in the past. Bit daft as they're like 60kg or something.

Appreciate the advice on the flysheet. I figured the side sheets would be a faff. Maybe get a tent and then buy the others later if needed. This is really about 1 - 2 night stops rather than a camping week. It's the speed and room and versatility. I have come to the conclusion that cooking on the tailgate is a right pain. Having a table and awning, maybe with one square side panel could be the way. Just for one, tailgate cooking is easy. But with the family, arrrggghhh! It drove me nuts.

Not really familiar with the airbeam thing Jon. I have not followed the discussion. I don't actually know what an airbeam drive away is. Not closed to other options, just didn't want this to turn into a hardshell v RTT discussion as that isn't helpful.

Is the RV4 big enough for two then with camp beds? Sounds like the RV 5 might be a little weaker.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is really about 1 - 2 night stops rather than a camping week. It's the speed and room and versatility. I have come to the conclusion that cooking on the tailgate is a right pain. Having a table and awning, maybe with one square side panel could be the way. Just for one, tailgate cooking is easy. But with the family, arrrggghhh! It drove me nuts.
At the previous Lincomb I parked the 80 with the back end under the awning of my RV3. It worked well. Adding a single side panel to block the wind would have been handy and not too involved - that kind of flexibility is what the Oz tents are good for I think.

Not really familiar with the airbeam thing Jon. I have not followed the discussion. I don't actually know what an airbeam drive away is. Not closed to other options, just didn't want this to turn into a hardshell v RTT discussion as that isn't helpful.
airbeam is just inflatable poles so relatively quick and easy setup. A drive away awning is just a tent with an tunnel bit on the front you connect to the vehicle. This weekend I had the 80 backed up to ours and connected to the top of the RT so I could get in and out of the RT under cover and have the contents of the 80 boot accessible from the tent under cover as well. I slept in the RT and the drive away was living space. Using the rear entrance of the RT was a bit of a revelation for ease of access as well.

Sorry, going to lob a curve ball in; have a look at what are called Baker Tents, they're the original design that the OzTent has developed. GreenOutdoors in the UK do them (just not at the moment...) so might be worth keeping an eye out for them.

Regarding the RV 4 & 5 sizes the only difference is the depth/length, the width is exactly the same, so you have a longer space under the low side.
I fit two Oz stretcher/camp beds in the RV 4 without touching sides and plenty of space in between. The good thing with camp beds is you have plenty room underneath for storage boxes which we carry our clothes in rather than suitcases. Without the flysheet you do get condensation running down the roof inside and dripping onto your feet/head depending which way you prefer to sleep.
As mentioned before the awning fits over the roof of a Cruiser nicely so you can open the back doors in the dry :)

Thanks Ken. Very useful information.

Err chaps. I seem to accidentally have ordered an Oztent RV 20th anniversary edition. Not quite sure what happened. I saw it and before I could help myself, it was ordered for tomorrow. It's an RV4 with the full front deluxe set up and the fly with a zip in front mud wall groundsheet too. That makes a second room. This solves many of our accommodation issues, plus dog issues, sitting out issues, standing up to put your trousers on issues etc etc. If I don't like it I am sure it'll sell. There are only 1500 world wide sales.

i have given each option a lot of thought and really do want to give this a try. In wet weather, as a family, it does mean that we can be all in one place. On my own I can just take the basic tent. It all comes in 2 bags. I like the idea of being able to back the cruiser up and use the tailgate, get to the fridge etc. With a side exhaust like mine I won't fill the tent with fumes.

Well look, we'll soon know. July Lincomb will be a first try I guess.

Part of this came from an issue yesterday when I bust a zip on the roof tent. The thought of dealing with those useless ******rs at Terrain had me thinking about other options. Got the zip sorted in the meantime no drama but nonetheless, it had me thinking. I liked the RTT but I have been more comfortable on the ground since I discovered proper stretcher beds. There is also a bend available now for the wood burning stove so that you can put one in the awning and divert the chimbley out the side and up. I like this too.

where did you get that from please chris?

Norwichcamping.whatsit. They only had one. They took preorders which all went and kept one for shop customers which I bought. But he did say he was just ordering a couple more when I rang. But 1500 is pretty limited.

i thought the pack size was around 2m long but that states 1.6 m long when packed up? am i being stupid?

looks very nice chris well done.

Stu, I have seen some confusing dimensions too. One says the RV4 section is 2.2 another that it's 2.4. Some say 2m packed as you say and others 1.6. Not fussed really. They'll be on the roof. Might consider a basket type rack. Ahh who knows. Let's get the tent set up and I'll see.

quote:
It's an RV4 with the full front deluxe set up and the fly with a zip in front mud wall groundsheet too.

From the diagram on Norwich camping the door to the actual standalone tent part doesn't look tall enough for an RV4. It's marketed in Oz as a 2 person tent with a further 2 in the awning.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402319311.126745.jpg

I rang them and asked.

There is a You Tube clip of the anniversary edition and you can see inside. It's huge.

I spoke to them too, when asked if he had any more he laughed and said he sold his last to a chap this morning.

Very helpful

Back