Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What's stronger...

pyemaster

Garage
An 80 x 50 box section with a 4mm wall thickness, or an 80 x 50 box section fabricated from four plates of 6mm?

Should add, wouldn't be me welding it but a firm who have professional fabricators...

Thoughts?

Owen

The latter because a good professional weld is stronger than the steel itself .

The latter because a good professional weld is stronger than the steel itself .

Thanks for your quick response chap. Do you reckon that would still be the case if the former was a 5mm wall thickness?

Owen

I can't imagine what your intended use is but while working at sea i've seen much much thicker steel tear above the weld , ask your welders advice .

This was my thoughts.
I would have thought there would be more stresses present in the welded piece so it would probably benefit from being heat treated afterwards. I know a metallurgist. I’ll ask.

Last edited:
Here’s the reply
‘I’ve always understood that, as long as the weld is sound and if similar material, that the weld is stronger than the base material. It would be logical that the thicker section would therefore be stronger, but only if the weld is sound.’
Spot on Shayne. :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You pair of legends! Just the response I was hoping to get. Please thank your metallurgist buddy too.

It's a sub bumper I'm knocking up for a higher-mount winch bumper to attach to.

Cheers again guys.
Owen

But let's not forget that 80 x 50 box in short ish lengths is incredibly strong. When I have box section delivered in 6 m lengths it's amazing how much it bends. But cut into 1 m it's pretty flex free from my experience. I've made winch bumpers, wheel carriers etc out of less than this before.

Disappointed. Based on the thread title, I thought it was going to be something more like the old....

Would you rather fight
one horse-sized duck, or a hundred duck-sized horses?

More redundancy with duck sized horses though.

You pair of legends! Just the response I was hoping to get. Please thank your metallurgist buddy too.

It's a sub bumper I'm knocking up for a higher-mount winch bumper to attach to.

Cheers again guys.
Owen
Is it not possible to get 80x50x6 box section? That would be no less strong than the welded version and far less labour intensive.

Is it not possible to get 80x50x6 box section? That would be no less strong than the welded version and far less labour intensive.
Seems an odd size. 100x50x6, no problem, but if it’s too big then it is a problem.

Std sizes are 75 x 50 x 5
80 x 40 in various walls
and
90 x 50 5mm

Yeah you'd be surprised how uncommon 80x60 box is. I must have tried a dozen suppliers. A place over in London thought he'd found an off cut but it turned out to be 75x50, so he offered to fab it instead.

Owen

Back