Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What's that noisy? Wheel bearing and steering column

Prado_Primate

Hi all, this noise just came about on my 120. I suspect it's the wheel bearings, but it seems like a lot of noise for bearings. I jacked the truck and there is vertical play while rotating, suggesting the bearings. There is also some horizontal play and a clicking up the steering column though. Could there be something else here other than the bearings?

Hi all, this noise just came about on my 120. I suspect it's the wheel bearings, but it seems like a lot of noise for bearings. I jacked the truck and there is vertical play while rotating, suggesting the bearings. There is also some horizontal play and a clicking up the steering column though. Could there be something else here other than the bearings?

Top and bottom wishbone bushes wear. You can usually see some movement if you get someone to turn the wheel side to side while you are looking under the car, or above the wheel for the top wishbone. You definitely can feel worn wishbone bushes through the steering.

Top and bottom wishbone bushes wear. You can usually see some movement if you get someone to turn the wheel side to side while you are looking under the car, or above the wheel for the top wishbone. You definitely can feel worn wishbone bushes through the steering.

Thanks, Rob. I had the upper bushes done and the lower seem to be ok. That certainly wouldn't be the rattle in the video? You think the clicking I described with lateral movement would be the control arm bushes?

Back