Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel balance

warrenpfo

As I am refurbing my alloys in the process i am also removing all weights as i go to do a proper job. The alloys have been caked in brake dust and in some places would estimate a layer of 1.5mm thick has developed on the inside of the alloys.

On fitting them back on to the car, i have done 3 so far i am yet to notice any balancing issues or vibrations through the steering wheel etc.

Should i still have them balanced or if there is no noticeable vibration through the driving range am i ok to just leave them be.

Mine aren't balanced with weights. I have OKO sealant in them. They balance themselves dynamically. Or you can use beads instead. On the rear axle, as it it live, you will notice less balancing issues in any case. But just because you can't feel it inside, it doesn't mean that it's good for bearings etc. If they are good now and pretty close then I'd balance them using stick on weights inside the rim. For a big wheel, way out of balance this probably wouldn't be enough. But if you are close to start with ..

Cheers Chris, I have found the OKO site but no mention of dynamic balance and lots about puncture sealing.

Can you direct me to the appropriate fluid.

It's one and the same. I use the agricultural stuff (kinda grey) not the car version (pink) it seals and balances. Whether they advertise that or not it's irrelevant. It does. When I put my 37's on they couldn't balance them. My local place does tractor tyres etc, but these would not fit ont eh machine. When I drove it, up to 45 mph was OK. But after 50 it was trying to kill me. I mean literally uncontrollable. I stuck the OKO in and went up the M1 at 70 with one hand on the wheel

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Whichever way you do it, I'd recommend balancing. The forces on components when the balance is out must be horrendous, and it's not so expensive. Better safe than sorry.

There was a thread where we discussed the pros and cons of Dynamic balancing using various things, even air soft pellets or gravel/pea shingle! It was decided in the end that if you can get a good balance with standard lead weights, there's nowt that works better.

I never bothered with the Dynamic balancing in the end and just went with standard balance weights.

Here's a link to the thread http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...ing-solution?highlight=Dynamic+tyre+balancing its an interesting read.

Last edited:
Back