Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel bearing

white90

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Front wheel bearing decided to destroy itself on the way home from Wales this weekend, no warning or noises just went bang. The outer bearing race has welded itself to the stub axle so that's scrap now aswell. Needed a new cv and drive flange that side anyway so at least it will all be done at the same time. Got my 15 year old daughter on the case, is this classed as child exploitation?.
IMG_0496.JPG
IMG_0497.JPG

Not child exploitation, child education and very useful it could prove too having an extra pair of capable hands!
Are you running wheel spacers, they seem to stick out a bit past the arches?

I remember one of my daughters used to love working with me on my old Jag Coupé, going to various drag meets ect, then she discovered boys. :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave

Not child exploitation, child education and very useful it could prove too having an extra pair of capable hands!
Are you running wheel spacers, they seem to stick out a bit past the arches?
She can repair it for me when I get too old to do it myself. Yes 30mmm spacers.

She looks supremely more qualified than some folk that I have seen working on 80s that's for sure. But tell her to glove up! She'll have nasty hands like us old fudders if she doesn't.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good for her, and you. It’s great to see kids taking an interest in something useful. She clearly doesn’t mind getting stuck in with the spanners. :text-+1: on the gloves.

Good to see a young 'un getting stuck in. Interesting about spacers. If not keen on gloves, Rozalex is worth a try.

Yet another bearing failure with spacers !! They put huge stress on the bearings, exacerbated by the larger tyres... get rid of them or you'll just repeat the failure.

Good on your girl,:clap: mine were like that till they got to 16 !

Thanks for the replies gents, now got the gloves for when she puts it back together☺.
I think it's good for kids to do things with there hands, or just get out and about, spending hours on iPhones and computers isn't good for them.
I agree on the spacers putting more stress on the bearings, I have no choice but to leave them on as I'm running 15" wheels, without the spacers the wheels won't clear the calipers, just have to check the bearings more often.
I will put some pictures on of the damage when I get time for anyone wanting a laugh☺.

Well there was that time I did 5 years in Pentonville Frank so not strictly true ..

But seriously, wheel spacers do seem to get the immediate blame when bearing fail without any real knowledge of the age of the bearing, how well set up it was, the make etc etc. Oddly no one makes the same noises when people play with the offset on their rims. I am not convinced that the safety margins are so small that a change of 20mm either side makes such a difference resulting in bearing failure. Typically we tend to see front bearing failure more often than rear. Yes the front does more work butit's also the end that people set up without the proper tools and knowledge. Lets not forget that we see these fail where spacers are NOT fitted. Is it a contributing factor? Yes, probably but is it the outright cause? I don't think so

Last edited:
Back