Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel to Fender distance

90LC1998

Supporter
Country Flag
denmark
What is the distance from center of front wheel to the edge og the fender?

Is your vehicle standard modified different wheels or lifted suspension and what is the purpose for the measurement ie uneven stance on flat surface some more information would be useful

Hallo Steven

The chassis not lifted. The springs are standard KYB K-Flex with a length of 365 mm. Thread is 16 mm and diameter of 112 mm. The shock absorbers is Monroe standard gas.

However, due to the original spring support assembly (#48609-35030) were very rusty I have installed the “Front Shock Absorber/Strut Top Mounting” (#SU0307K) from Milner Off Road. The distance from center of the wheel to the edge of the front fender is now 570 mm i.e. app. 22,5”. I did not measure the distance before I started the restoration of the car. Milner has not been able to help on this issue.

Everything under the car is new and a Toyota workshop has made a complete adjustment of the wheel settings. But I feel the car is not running as I did when I drove it home from Germany in 2018.

Best regards

John

Hi John,

I presume you are talking about vertical distance to the inside of the wheel arch. My truck is completely standard suspension wise, and running standard 265/70/16 tyres. I have also recently had new control arm bushes, drop links, arb bushes etc, so its all in good shape under there. I can't see it being 45mm different unless something has been done

20210127_162712.jpg

Last edited:
Hello John if you have replaced everything underneath the truck in the two years you have had it because it was worn out it maybe that it should feel that way I know that does not help you what size tyres are you running are they all at your normal pressures and cold have you anything in the rear of the car were there any lift spacers when you renewed the front springs you could also try measuring from the bottom of wheel to inside lip of the front wing for another measurement other than that I'm out of suggestions

I also have 265/70R16. It is that distance I have measured as shown on your photo. - The distance at the rear wheel is 530 mm.

Milner has informed the thickness of the upper spring support is total 20mm. Therefore, I have tried to make a model of the front spring/ shock absorber assembly as you can see from the drawing. The pink part on the top illustrates the extra thickness of the Milner spring support and if I use 45mm (570 mm - 525 mm) the thickness of the pink part should be 18 mm and that gives no meaning. Does anyone know the thickness of the original spring support?

Therefore, I have contacted AUTODOC.de who has delivered springs and shock absorbers and now they have informed that the shock absorber MONROE Adventure D8345 is NOT the right one for the KZJ90. A Danish Monroe supplier says D8345 is for use in a KZJ95. The right one is D8344.

In addition, the spring is also wrong. It is 365 mm and it should be 256 mm. The diameter is 16 mm instead of 15.5 and there is a small difference in the number of windings. I think AUTODOC has delivered parts for a KZJ95.

Does anyone knows the difference between the shock absorber for the KZJ90 and KZJ95? Due to the costs, I am thinking of reducing the length of the spring. The problem is the lower winding has a smaller diameter so I might have to buy new springs.

Best regards

John

Attachments

• IMG_3954 A.jpg
    IMG_3954 A.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Tårnleje venstre.jpg
    Tårnleje venstre.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Spring model.pdf
    246.9 KB · Views: 23
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Before looking at anything else, I saw the side photo of your truck and said to myself "wow that's sitting high on the front"

Definitely something wrong there. Not sure about a difference between the short and long variants in terms of springs I'm afraid

Back