Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel weights is there a right side?

warrenpfo

I have just come in from changing wheels for tomorrows trip to the plains to notice that the tyre shop has gone and put all the balancing weight on the outside of the alloys. Now im not sure if there is a right or a wrong but it looks wrong on the out side as some of the alloys have up to 90g of weight, that’s 3 pieces stuck to the out side. Surely it can go on the inside and the tyre place was being lazy. They are the STD 16" Toyota alloys.

When I have had wheels balanced, they use stick on weights on the inside of the rim rather than clamping weights to the lip... They are then well hidden :thumbup:

I always ask for bang on weights where ever possible as they are less prone to coming off when spinning in the mud. On the wheels i have i need some stick on weights on the inside as there is no lip on the outside to use.

What state were the insides - an area that rarely gets cleaned so can have plenty of brake dust, not good for adhesion, plus hard to spot if they come off.

Bang on weights better, although there is a tendency for them to chip the lacquer on the alloy (of great concern when vehicle used for offroading of course!).

Pete

I always have stick on weights, just make sure they clean the area they'll be fitted to and losing them shouldn't be a problem. The wheels with my Simex on have double depth stick ons and I still never have any problems with losing weights. I have in the past lost clip on weights by rubbing them off on sticks and stones :) I also have very short valves fitted on all my wheels.

Dropped in the shop that fitted them and they said no problem they will swap them to the rear for me this week.

Much happier with that idea.

The alloys are brand new they have only done 10miles this morning so there should be no problem fitting the weights on the inside.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep, stick on weights every time for me. BUT, in answer to the question, yes there is actually an inside and an outside to wheel balancing. You need to balance them rotationally AND across the rim inside to outside. Usually there is enough space inside the wheel to move the weight in and out to get the right dynamic balance. But occasionally a tyre can be so far out that with stick-ons you can't get them on the inside of the wheel far enough out to the kerb side to get them in the right place. But rather then use knock-ons at that point, I have the tyre rotated on the rim and make them have another go. It's marginal, but yes there is roundy roundy balancing and there is wibbly wobbly balancing too.

Chris

Back