Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

wheels, tyres and suspension

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
Hi all. I was lucky enough to have someone make me an offer I couldnt refuse on my underused tractor, so now I need to spend the ill gotten gains on some wheels, tyres and suspension! (burns a hole in my pocket faster than the Enterprise at WF 7 !) Soooo, I am thinking 265/75/16 coopers, BFG kM2 , or Good year Duratrac. Also Wheels - steel wheels to keep on until CT time (ooeer, cant have oversized tyres sir, thats a fail - along with the HID light kit and probably loads of other things the French dont like etc etc) fitted with either 30mm spacers or 30mm neg offset to give a wider track.
Finally, Suspenders - good reports on Pedders?
It was only a little tractor, so dont go mad!

Cheers
Steve

Cheers will go and have a nosey
Not wild off roading, so maybe some A/T's better - cooper st max or the goodyear duratrac?
Found Rough Trax flogging Rancho and Monroe suspension kits with 2" lift cheaper than Peddars - not by much, 50 Quids or so - any reason NOT to use them?

Rufftrax were meant to be offering pedlers kits by now. dont forget i think pedlers offer a club discount if i remember correctly. monroe shocks are ment to be pretty good not driven a cruiser with them on but people say they are ok been going along time. i think the duratrac are also asnow tyre??? which would make them a bit better as well in the white stuff. i think thats what i will be going with when i replace my km2s.

i like the km2 they are not that noisey as long as you have the windows closed to be fair. mine seem to like being ran at a high pressure though. if they get down to 35psi they start to wobble a bit. I dont do much wild offroad in mine so will down grade the tyres next time.
stu.

Yes the Duratrac and ST Maxx are M & S (Marks & Sparks?) rated. The Duratrac are a few measly quids makes no difference cheaper, but are new and have no track record. The Coopers have a track record, some good some bad..........
oh decisions decisions

Yes the Duratrac and ST Maxx are M & S (Marks & Sparks?) rated. The Duratrac are a few measly quids makes no difference cheaper, but are new and have no track record. The Coopers have a track record, some good some bad..........
oh decisions decisions

Do they also have the mountain symbol on them? From what I can gather the M&S rating is kind of useless unless it has this on it as well. I think not all BFG A/T have the mountain symbol on them ... but this could be market dependant.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
M&S is pretty useless - it's just determined by amount of tread area rather than being specifically designed for winter usage.

For that you need the Mountain Snowflake mark, which the Duratracs have, as did the Grabber AT2s (but not the new AT :doh:). Duratracs seem to be relatively unknown in the UK, but they've got a good track record in the US.

Right 1st decision made then! Duratracs it is - now, after my 2" suspender lift, would 265 75 16's be the best size? I am going to keep my Alloy wheels with tyres for the CT (every 2 years) and they are standard 265 70/16's if the new wheels are 16x8's would it be sensible to up to a larger width as well as height? This is a mine field!

265/75R16 are an optimum size for the Colorado IMHO. Though the 285/75R16 do look the mutt's nuts. :icon-cool:

i could only find them in 285 75 16, 245 70 16 & 315 70 17 when i looked earlier. they do seem to be fairly cheap tyres when compared to tge other makes. i had the mtr a few years ago and they were crap i hope the durtec is better.

265/75R16 are an optimum size for the Colorado IMHO. Though the 285/75R16 do look the mutt's nuts. :icon-cool:

As above really.

Knowing a little more about you Steve and the kind of use you will be putting the truck through I would say that 265/75 are the optimum for your truck. 285's would fill the arches slightly better and unless you get an offset wheel or spacer 255's (I think they are the ones SAE70 had) do IMHO look a little skinny. 265's fit well and IMHO look good. I run them atm and they look like castors but remember my truck is stupidly lifted. Pic below is 265/75 with 2 inch lift
2013-08-04171027_zpsd1c5a1f0.jpg

265/75 with silly lift

20130905_171810_zpse89040f3.jpg

High! cheers - as I suspected really, 265 75 16' s it will be !
cheers guys (& gals)

Having little response from the potential supplier in the UK for over grands worth of wheels and tyres - and exhausting avenue in France for a set of neg off set wheels and good years, I just happened to look to see what the chaps at http://www.accessoires4x4.ch/ had......steel wheels, -25 offset, 16x8 triangle spokes for 40€ each! So with delivery of 6 (an extra spare) its less than 245 pounds! Container due end March, dispatch early April - probably Chineese again, but if they are as good as the roof rack, I will have no problem. The UK suppliers are also expecting deliveries end of the month/mid April.........same ship I think!

The only problem is, I cant find any good years in France at the moment! So might end up with BFG km2's? the search for pneu's continues :)

Last edited:
Right, job done, ordered 6 cooper s/t Maxx's for just under 948€ ! thats all my tractor money spent :( what else have a i got to flog? I 'need' a winch and bumper..........:)

Suspension is here, tyres are here, just waiting for the wheels now!

20140326_111559.jpg

20140327_140403.jpg

Love the look of those Coopers. Can't wait to see the finished job :icon-smile:

Tyres look great Steve - can't wait to see them on with the Pedders suspension!

me three!
Tyres dont have the snow flake mark, but are prepped for studs! I hope that we never need them here though - thinking about it could have used them in the big freeze of 2011........no 4x4 then but stuck in hamlet for 2 weeks near as dammit :)

Back