Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

wheels, tyres and suspension

wey hay!
Wheels have just arrived, 6 x sexy black shiny wheels......truck booked in for the 9th..........cant wait ;)
20140403_150850.jpg
20140403_150842.jpg

Hey hey Steve, they look just fine! Bet you can't wait to get those boots on!

:thumbup:

darn right I cant! 9th is when its supposed to happen - garage geezer wants it for 2 days....in case of a problem.......:(

darn right I cant! 9th is when its supposed to happen - garage geezer wants it for 2 days....in case of a problem.......:(

2 days? :wtf:

I stood behind my guy for the duration, after offloading 10 rims and ten tyres from my roof rack, "here, fit these please... I'll wait..." Was my approach!

All all fitted, all balanced, all in just over 2 hours, job done well, and it cost me about £35 IIRC! :icon-biggrin:

I remember one wheel needed 150 gms and the guy volunteered to rotate the tyre on the rim which cured it. Many fitters don't bother with that if they can get a zero/zero reading. I was impressed.

Won't take 2 days but he's just covering himself in case bolts snap and he can't find a replacement , if you drop it into the garage first i would expect a call in the afternoon .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Certainly on road tyres there is a normally a dot on the side wall; good fitters (or those who give a damn) will match that with the valve on the rim; all of sudden they need less weight on them...

I think it took about an hour, including chatting, with the guys who did the 4 on my 4Runner; the slowest bit was putting the old ones in the back of the 4Runner! The challenge was that they were big cheap Nankang Mudstar's, so the balancing quality is a bit less than some of the higher quality ones.

He is fitting new suspenders too! I will drop it off Tuesday eve so he can soak it with releasing / penetrating oil overnight! We are cutting the grass in the same hamlet (well 4 of the large gardens) on Wednesday morning so I can keep an eye on him for half the day anyway ;)

He is fitting new suspenders too! I will drop it off Tuesday eve so he can soak it with releasing / penetrating oil overnight! We are cutting the grass in the same hamlet (well 4 of the large gardens) on Wednesday morning so I can keep an eye on him for half the day anyway ;)

ah ha! That's a different matter, I'll let him off in that case! :lol: Good luck!

PMSL!!! Update please ;-) Hijack over Ste ;-)

Last edited:
looks forward to see the collie after the tyre/wheels fitted and new suspension :)
hope all goes well

Just had a panic! Wheel nuts, wheel nuts wh.....Well, the Alloy ones are too long for the steel wheels that are going to be fitted on Wednesday......they tighten up OK but the hole in the wheel is too small to allow the shank of the nut (between the 'ole of the nut and the washer - 12mm long) to sit against the wheel. Would your average motor factors have something like the shorter ones or flush? ones in stock - think Halfords and a bit smaller.....Never had to look for some before! I mounted a un shod wheel to the spare carrier on the back door.

Steel wheels do usually need different style nuts to alloys. I'd be surprised if you can get them from a local motor factors but then again you're not in the UK ... Dealer prices will probably be silly. Maybe Karl has buckets full of them off trucks he has broken in the past?

bugger! Little chance here then if Halfords dont do them, Norauto certainly won't!

Just a thought, could I use Nyloc nuts with a washer as a temporary thing, until I can get some from Somewhere?

Last edited:
These are 80 series steel wheel nuts

20140407_174316.jpg

probably the same as for yours.

Back