Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

When did toyota stop thinking this was a good idea?

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Had a customer's 80 all this week getting some jobs done. For the first time I noticed this;
IMG_20200213_183700.jpg

My 96 doesn't have the switch illumination, nor the illuminated halo around the ignition which I keep meaning to retro fit..
Think I'll be fitting a set of these too.

I've never noticed if mine has an illuminated ignition have to check next time I'm in the truck,

I've never noticed if mine has an illuminated ignition have to check next time I'm in the truck,
Mine hasn't, I've often fumbled about with the ignition key in the dark..

I think the illuminated halo round the ignition key barrel is only on the 12V 80's.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've seen them in a 95 vx and GS.
A useful thing imo.

The need for a cockpit light to save me fumbling for ignition or lower heater controls is a minor irritation logged in my mind about my 97 amazon - just why ?

Mine hasn’t got the illuminated ign barrel either but Ive had the vehicle that long I can find it easily in total darkness. I replaced some of the small bulbs in the dash with LEDs. Slot straight in, various colours available so I chose green.

So has everyone else got the illuminated window switches?
Some of the controls definitely need more illumination imo.

My window switches light up but only with the ign on. There’s a simple mod to the window module under the dash that leaves them permanently lit, plus one that gives permanent power to the window motors so they can be used without the key. Can’t see the point in having them permanently lit in all honesty.

My 96-97 model does have the green ring illuminated around the ignition and all the switches .....
Are the rest of you sure you haven't got blown bulbs ? ;-)

My 97 Amazon doesn't have one, there is a soft rubber grommet between the dash and Ign barrel, that said, the 24V auto (95) has one.

Now have ignition switch halo envy after reading this. My car has this but the Prado does not. Never noticed until now!

My drivers side window switch is the only one that illuminates. All the others are blank, And no ignition key Halo (97 24v gx).. But the 1990 12v seems to have all window switches light up and the key light (12v vx)... Lord knows whats going off:shock: The seats in the 97 24v are basic non heated adjust mechanically old skool type, BUT have electric back lumber support switches. Why did they bother doing that... Seems odd....... And another quick question, Why were some 80s Badged as Amazons?

Last edited:
The “end of line” models in a range usually get all the options thrown in, hence the last VX80’s had the leather, wood, electric seats, roof bars etc...etc although not the ign halo light. I think the Amazon badging was just a marketing move to further differentiate the 80, then the 100 series from the smaller cheaper 90 series which became the Colorado.

It's bugging me now. So with em's words of; "I wish I had your problems" in my head.
I'll do some investigating..

You've opened up a can of worms Mike.... Maybe as the Trucks were coming down the production line, and stopped to have various bits fitted. The bins with the parts in were found to be empty, So they just moved 'em' on... Then Badged them up accordingly to what Bits were missing at the end.. Maybe:lol:

Mine doesn’t have one either sob, it’s a 1997, gs. So no sunroof or leather but everything else.

My 1995 diesel vx has the halo ign. Light comes on when opening the door but goes off after 4 seconds after closing the door.

Back