Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

When it's time for a new chainsaw…

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
Looks like Stihl have been having a play. :)

hope its easier to start than the rest of there stuff..

Stihl stuff is easy to start. Why do you say that?

I agree stu. Always had them in the building game snd far better than the other makes.

That looks a bit like one of those Graupner jet units used in model planes and boats etc.

Stihl stuff is easy to start. Why do you say that?
must just be the machines we have had, struggled with there chainsaws, disk cutters, strimmers, hedge cutters and hole borers..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I still (sorry for the pun) recon it will comprise of little bits of plastic that will break off inside and render all that technology useless.

I must admit though, the one I have has done a lot of cutting in its time, rendered useless by a tiny bit of plastic breaking off (which gave it a year off on its holidays) until Richard came and kindly fixed it.

It’s going again now just as fine as it ever was.

It sounds cool with that jet engine though, but it seemed to cut wood just the same as the traditional engine...

What I found is with stihl if you missthe first pop and keep trying to start with the choke in then a pain

Maybe that was the problem stu. My mates launched a few stihls in his time..

There's definitely a way that works.
From cold
Choke on, throttle hold on
Keep pulling until it fires once and dies.
Choke off
Pull until it starts
Throttle to full revs for 15-20 seconds, in blips if need be.

The oil mix MUST be spot on with new petrol from a sealed can. Petrol starts to go off after a couple of months in an unsealed tank so it's best to run dry or empty fuel out if the tool is being stored.

I got our first Stihl 50 years ago and they are brilliant,have 2 now a big 066 with30 inch bar and the farm boss with an 18 inch bar.we also got a top handle
OLEO-MAC Italian made which is great for all those little jobs you get.
Actually bought that one for my wife for her birthday,she loves it.

There's definitely a way that works.
From cold
Choke on, throttle hold on
Keep pulling until it fires once and dies.
Choke off
Pull until it starts
Throttle to full revs for 15-20 seconds, in blips if need be.

The oil mix MUST be spot on with new petrol from a sealed can. Petrol starts to go off after a couple of months in an unsealed tank so it's best to run dry or empty fuel out if the tool is being stored.

I agree rich.
Its all about how you start them. It is with my stone cutters anyway

I have 3 Stihl brush cutters, a leaf blower, hedge cutter and chainsaw....all start very easily and last very well considering the hammering we put them through :)

I've got a Stihl 038AV, good for the bigger stuff but mostly use a lighter Husky now, easy starting and surprisingly capable. I've only had it for a couple of years, but no probs so far. Brushcutter (with square section heavy line) and long reach hedge trimmer are Echo, both fine, reliable machines.

Fact. My Stihl strimmer was useless. Not just my opinion. It burned a hole in my jacket because of inadequate heat shield. The cranked tube got too hot and the spool melted and shot across the lawn like a catherine wheel.

The art with any engine, if not sure, is to start cranking with no choke then gradually increase choke until it fires. Once you start from a choke position and wet the plug it's buggered for a bit.

My Dad's small stihl strimmer is a bit poor too Frank. But am sure the higher more professional ones have got to be better.
I've also got a small stihl electric saw with a carvers mini bar on it. I kept forgetting about using it and got it out the other week when the bar on my ms230 got a nail stuck in the roller! If you are cutting firewood in one place then I really recommend one as there's no fumes, quiet(er), very light and when moving the wood to the cutting area there's no having to pull start! A real joy to use after putting down the engine saw and great for timber frame repair work. Plus it starts at a flick of a switch! Lol

I have an old Black and Decker electric chain saw. Very able really cutting easily through 6 inch diameter limbs. However here's the question. The chain teeth get blunt very quickly is that because it is a short blade and the teeth have a lot more cutting to do than a longer one or do the petrol chains have harder teeth?

I have a Stilhl chainsaw. I always use the stihl petrol in it premixed, and always run it dry if I am not going to be using it for a couple of weeks, this stops the carb gumming up according to the owners manual. The Stilhl petrol isn't petrol its a blend of ethanol, petrol and oil. It has a very long shelf life, more than a year. The saw always starts on half choke after a couple of pulls.

When people give me garden equipment or outboards they can't get running, the first thing I do is change the fuel to the stihl fuel, 9/10 that is enough to fix it! I find when people mix the fuel they always put way too much oil in because they guess the amount.

Downside - it is expensive, but I think worth it to avoid the spring struggle of trying to get all the garden engines working again.

Depends how much fuel you use really!

do the petrol chains have harder teeth?
I think you're right that it's a small chain working hard, as far as I know the chains for an electric or petrol would be the same material. The strimmers with a bent shaft don't last as long, it's basically a length of steel wire constantly flexing, a straight shaft with bevel gears is usually a lot more durable.

Back