Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which 24v to 12 volt converter?

AlexanderVanBaelen

Country Flag
belgium
Hi all,

As you might see from my pic I have a HZJ75 from 1999. The car has a 24 volt alternator and to my understanding everything runs on 24 volts - unlike the 80s.

I used to have a converter which converted to 24v to run the radio. Recently this isn't working anymore and I am searching a replacement.

I am using the 12 volts for a radio with 4 speakers and for various 12v chargers ( cig lighter and usb).

Apart from upgrading the converter I maybe also need to upgrde the wiring, any suggestion about wire thickness?

I am currently looking at the following: A victron orian ip67 marine grade 24 12 DC DC converter for up to 20 amps. Do you think this is a good alternative or would you recommend something better?

Thanks!

https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-converters/orion-ip67-24-12-dc-dc-converters

The only problem I had with mine (not the make your looking at) was it didn't like the rather hostile under bonnet environment and packed up. At the mo, all my 12v stuff takes power from one battery, which I know isn't ideal

The only problem I had with mine (not the make your looking at) was it didn't like the rather hostile under bonnet environment and packed up. At the mo, all my 12v stuff takes power from one battery, which I know isn't ideal
Mine too moggy and this is on the must do soon list. Keen to see how you guys tackle it

We faced a similar but not identical problem with our truck. However we do not have a radio (our music is supplied by the headers and ss exhaust) but needed a supply at 12v for the CB (tiny one) and the GPS that we use (only for L&L references) but as our batteries are under the floor and not the bonnet and we didn't want to cut the dash so we fitted a dropper from Road King. It mounts under the dash and is fed from the 24v cig lighter.
Probably not an ideal solution for you but it works for us in the confined cab of a 40 but it maybe worth looking at 'hgv accessories' as an option for droppers.
Like you, Moggy, we were feeding 12v from one battery and have ongoing overcharging problems but that's all to do with the external regulator but where the radio would go we have a voltmeter (24v) and extra switches and I control the rate of charge by using headlights all the time.

Regards,

You could talk to Mike at Robson and Francis about your regulator Rodge, I expect he would be able to help or even supply something.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have a dropper to install for hooking up the rear camera 12v to the 24v reverse light circuit but not done it yet. Want the rear view to show on the double din screen when reverse selected.
I like the look of the intervolt kit but want to plan everything that is required and draw up a circuit diagram and ask lots of advice before buying any kit.
The intervolt voltage convertor isolated maxi - SVCi241225G2 will take 24v input to 12v output at 25 amps. Is this man enough to charge one or two 12v batteries in parallel?
Do i need a splitter to take alternator power when available (after starting batteries are charged) to the voltage convertor?

Regarding my over charging problem, I am unwilling to hijack Alexander's thread so I'll pick up Moggy's thread to explain where we are and what we've done. Or if I can't find it start a new one.

Regards,

I had a orion in my HZJ75.
works good.
was mounted in the glove compartiment so it stayed clean & dry and was close to the cig lighter, radio etc.
wiring was done with 2.5mm²

I had a orion in my HZJ75.
works good.
was mounted in the glove compartiment so it stayed clean & dry and was close to the cig lighter, radio etc.
wiring was done with 2.5mm²
Sounds an ideal setup. I'm not aware of the Orion though but if it worked well then that's what you want.

We faced a similar but not identical problem with our truck.
Like you, Moggy, we were feeding 12v from one battery and have ongoing overcharging problems but that's all to do with the external regulator but where the radio would go we have a voltmeter (24v) and extra switches and I control the rate of charge by using headlights all the time.

Regards,

That sounds very like mine. The problem started when I got a replacement alternator, that didn't have the built in voltage regulator and I had to fit an external one.

I think mounting the dropper in the cab is the only viable way TBH as that keeps it out of the hostiles. I was thinking about in the glove box but would probably get a bit warm in there. Was thinking under the dash but if I end up in really deep water I would worry it might get wet (although I hope not to go that deep, and of course, this isn't a landrover!!_

Back