Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which 270 Awning is best?

garygiles1963

HI

I'm looking to purchase a 270 Awning for my LC4 120. I want it to be self supporting for short stops and easily add sides for long stops.

I would appreciate thoughts and experience from your use of 270.

Regards

Gary

You're on dangerous ground there. Whenever you post a 'Which is best ...' thread, you're asking for trouble.

Unless it's 'Which is the best car in the world' where the answer is of course, any Landcruiser.

So before anyone else comes along and gets it wrong ..... it's the Foxwing.

There's a few out there now but let me say why I think that on balance the Foxwing is best. Not every part of the FW is the BEST, but this is about the whole awning.

Available in left or right hand. Not all are.
All parts, every single component is available in the UK virtually on a next day delivery.
It has sides - not all do
It can join to an Oz Tent
It can join to other awnings such as a caravan
It fits very tall vehicles - some have fixed feet that won't touch the ground
It's very well made and good quality parts
The outer bag slides off in a second if you needed to replace it or the zip for example
Easy to deploy and put away - so are others
Very good resale value if you change your (daft) mind

OK. Now all the wrong answers ......

Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 17.49.34.jpg

Last edited:
I would agree with all what Chris says, pretty sure the Eezi-Awn will be for sale in the spring and replaced with another FoxWing

Rather than refute Chris's claim, I'd suggest 'best' depends on what features are important to you. For me, the Alucab Shadow was the best choice because it is properly self-supporting and very quick to set-up. These features were more important to me than all the fine features Chris lists for the foxwing. I'm beginning to realise that there really is almost never a true best. No matter how much you spend there is always something that could have been done better, some aspect that lets it down, and no one brand does/has it all. Therefore, I reckon you need to think about what features are important to you and what things you couldn't put up with, then see which option best meets your criteria.

Sides are available but be sitting down when you price it all up!

Wouldn't argue with any of that Lorin. And of course you know it was done tongue firmly in cheek, there is no 'best' unless you define what you are really looking for in particular.

If I lived in a sunny place with no wind, I'd want one that was great to keep the sun off and didn't need legs. Let's say the Hannibal. Perfect. But I don't. Every time I camp it's shit and usually pouring with rain.

The Fox fits over the edge of the trailer and keeps almost everything out. At Lincomb this last time, we had it well enclosed, the BBQ on the go and quite a crew sitting in there keeping warm and dry. I'd say whatever I had, it would have to have sealed sides. The Foxwing sides are tapered and give a huge area plus they can be set up and out to make the whole wing twice the area. You could have a wedding reception under it.

Foxwing all the time. I've used one for 7 years on my Hilux with sides fitted when necessary to block the wind or to sleep under. I just fitted one last week to a LC troopy I got a few weeks back which will replace the Hannibal rear awning that was already on it. It's easily deployed and put away by one person once you get the hang if it even in the wind.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Foxwing all the time. I've used one for 7 years on my Hilux with sides fitted when necessary to block the wind or to sleep under. I just fitted one last week to a LC troopy I got a few weeks back which will replace the Hannibal rear awning that was already on it. It's easily deployed and put away by one person once you get the hang if it even in the wind.

funny enough, I had decided today It's going to be the Foxwing for me.

I'll be purchasing mid Feb hopefully.

Thanks to everyone for there input.

G.

One thing to add. Unlike most UK owners, I mounted my wing on the driver's side. I did this for two reasons and without looking back I can't remember if I posted why.

I figured in a field it didn't matter, but if driving on the continent and I stopped at the side of the rode or worse still broke down, the driver's side would be kerb side so I could deploy it without lorries tearing it off. It would give shade for a break or a break down.

My wheel carrier also opens opposite to most others too. I did this so that here in the UK I didn't have to faff with fog lights. The driver's side one is the one you need to be legal. This means that when the wing is up, and the tailgate open, the spare wheel isn't in the middle of the awning. It's at the end which conveniently stops people wandering in that end and interfering and gives full use of the awning and sides.

Just worth planning the whole thing before you jump in.

HI

So I went for the Foxwing. And very glad that I did. I have used every day on this trip. In France to protect me from the mad heat wave, to last night, the mother of all rain storms.
IMG_1691.JPG
IMG_1692.JPG
IMG_1693.JPG
IMG_1694.JPG
IMG_1695.JPG
IMG_1696.JPG

I setup this configuration this morning having got up in the middle of the night to check all was ok, and I not left the sun roof open, like I would. :(, I thought I might setup the sides as in the pics. With the constant amount of rain we had last night, the tent did drip inside a little. This is partly due to me using the fly net inside the tent, which does touch the side a little. But really happy with the Foxwing, so so glad I have with me. Love the way the sides are shaped to give you extra ground space. The only complaint I have is the is no loops for lights and stuff. All it needs is loops between the outer poll position and in between the outer poll and the hinge. Other than that I cant fault it.

Thanks guys for sharing your experiences with me and helping me choose the Foxwing.

G.

When you get back, check out the Kampa awning lighting system. It's modular. You buy one main unit then the others all slave off that. It has tent pole clips so you can put it on the uprights. Nice and bright and LED so low consumption.

Does anyone have A ostrich awning? Just curious on people's thoughts.

HI

I'm looking to purchase a 270 Awning for my LC4 120. I want it to be self supporting for short stops and easily add sides for long stops.

I would appreciate thoughts and experience from your use of 270.

Regards

Gary

I agree with Chris, what's important is a package which suits the individual and I think price is also very important!

However, my 'ten peneth' worth is:

Having spent a fair bit of research myself into the diferent 270 awnings available, such as Darche, RhinoRack, Batwing, Alu-Cab, Bush Company, Hannibal, EaziAwn, Oztent, SupaWing, 30 Second, Super-Peg, Drifta as well as all the cheap Chinese Imports. I will buy one this year.
My personal view is that it's really a choice of 2 for me:
Either the Ostrich Wing, which is good quality and very sturdy. The problem is the ridiculous UK price, when I looked at one, I could import a single unit cheaper than I could from Tuff-Tek and I think that's why very few people buy them in the UK!
However, the other alternative I think that's worth considering, is the 6 arm Howling Moon, which would probably now be my choice. Again, good quality, although I don't think it's quite as sturdy as the Ostrich Wing, but it certainly offers a much more usable space, which is what I tbink it's all about.
Someone also mentioned the BunduAwn on another forum, which I also looked at, but I've heard more than once, that there are problems with rain coming through the stitching!
Anyway, all that aside, if the Club decided to secure an attractive price on either the Ostrich or Howling Moon, I would certainly be interested.
Bodie.

Back