Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which parts have been used in this modification? Help! Pictures incl.

Makuke

Country Flag
estonia
Hey!

I´m from Estonia and I just bought Volkswagen Taro (Toyota Hilux basically). I discovered, that someone has modified the suspension and steering system in this car. I got a hint, that some kind of Land Cruiser parts are used. I thought that someone can help me to identify parts in this system, because I´m planning to change some bushings and bearings.

I apologize about my language mistakes :)

Pictures:
large_28422359_2zR8.jpg

large_28422357_zoGk.jpg

large_28422349_mL68.jpg

large_28422347_elmJ.jpg

large_28422335_O9Lr.jpg

large_28422341_ZG5M.jpg

large_28422343_MVUk.jpg

Hi Makuke, welcome to the club. :icon-biggrin:

Those trailing/radius arms arnt LandCruiser as far as I can tell as 70's, and 80's dont have the pin end. LandCruisers have a bush with a bolt through where the arms mount to the chassis.

So my guess is either Nissan Patrol or Landrover. :think:

If you remove one of the arms you should be able to measure each bush using some vernier callipers. With the 4 measurements of the bush you should be able to order the correct size bush from a decent automotive parts shop.

Obviously it would be easier if you can identify the arms though. :icon-smile:

As an 80 owner, the front axle looks 80 ish but not quite the same which may accord with Ben's comment that it might be Nissan Patrol.

The rear looks like a 70.

Not conclusive just my gut feelings. I'll look at mine closer... :icon-biggrin:

Thank You for fast comments.. I continued searching and find a link from Patrol forum205235d1254946061t-questions-front-diff-nissan-patrol-06102009410.jpg 205234d1254946061t-questions-front-diff-nissan-patrol-06102009409.jpg
As long as I do not see the radius arm shape, I can´t still read it as proof of my question.

Now I just start wondering, why previous owner didn´t attach "lift kit", which would be the fastest solution of lifting.. What do you think, is this "radius arm" system better that original? What would be the main purpose of such modification?

Last edited:
Its been done because they've converted from leaf suspension to coils!

The axles look like original Hi-lux ones, I'm pretty sure you can see the flat bit on the top of the axle where the leaves used to sit.

Originally it wouldn't have had radius/trailing arms as the leaves would have held the axle in position. :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
As an 80 owner, the front axle looks 80 ish but not quite the same which may accord with Ben's comment that it might be Nissan Patrol.

The rear looks like a 70.

Not conclusive just my gut feelings. I'll look at mine closer... :icon-biggrin:

80 series run basically the same front axle as the LJ70/Hi-lux. Slightly different but still an 8" diff. Thats why its considered by many to be the weak point on the 80 series. The 60 series before it ran similar size diffs front and back, but then on the 80 they decided to fit a 9" to the rear and an 8" to the front. :icon-ugeek:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
80 series run basically the same front axle as the LJ70/Hi-lux. Slightly different but still an 8" diff. Thats why its considered by many to be the weak point on the 80 series. The 60 series before it ran similar size diffs front and back, but then on the 80 they decided to fit a 9" to the rear and an 8" to the front. :icon-ugeek:

Thanks Ben, I'll learn something step by step! :thumbup:

Yup username_11 is right. Its a pre-facelift 70 series axle and trailing arms. The earlier 70 series had the pin style trailing arms and outboard shocks on the front axle. Thats not a hilux axle because the swivels are the larger Landcruiser ones.

So parts wise you are looking for parts from a pre-1993 LJ70.

I thought we had a conversation about the different suspension setups on the pre-facelift 70 series before Ben? We were talking about achieving the best articulation iirc? Though I may have all been in my imagination or I could have been talking to someone else, my memory is rubbish. :oops:

Yes Dave we have spoken about it, and obviously my memory is really bad! Cant believe I completely forgot the earlier 70's have those chassis mounts on the radius arms! :?

Back