Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Which winch?

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
Knowing that my truck is going to be repaired and a new winch bumper fitted whilst there at it, thoughts have turned to an actual Winch. Not having much experience with winches (= nil!), what do I want? I dont intend on doing mad off road stuff, so really, it will be there for 'just in case' if alone and get myself stuck :(

I have seen this from direct 4x4 what do you think, any good? are they easy to install?

Got plenty of time to chose as its going to be a month before we see it again :(

Steve

That same winch can be purchased else where for £150 cheaper. :icon-wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Rescu...icle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item5b031920ec

I had a cheap winch like that and it worked well for a few years and took a lot of abuse. Ideally you should spend more money and buy a quality one from a known brand, but if its something that isnt going to be used very often it can be hard to justify the expense.

How much more are the Goldfish ones, I know quite a few member have them and like them? :think:

Can you claim it back on your tax return as a tool for your business? :icon-smile:

I got my goldwich for 400 not vat or delivery. I looked at loads of different ones. Was a toss up between tgat and a come up which was 60-80 more expensive. I dont think i woukd want to spend any less on a tool my life depends on.
Stu

That same winch can be purchased else where for £150 cheaper. :icon-wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Rescu...icle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item5b031920ec

I had a cheap winch like that and it worked well for a few years and took a lot of abuse. Ideally you should spend more money and buy a quality one from a known brand, but if its something that isnt going to be used very often it can be hard to justify the expense.

How much more are the Goldfish ones, I know quite a few member have them and like them? :think:

Can you claim it back on your tax return as a tool for your business? :icon-smile:

Tis the same one at the starting bid - but, claiming it against the company for hauling trees around that I have cut down - fine idea! It will be on order before the end of the week as I work on HWMBO!

Steve, I'd recommend you using a plasma (nylon) rope, and that doesn't need the roller fair lead that comes with the winch kit.

I don't know if you can buy the winch with a non-roller fair lead (no idea what they're called) and a plasma rope instead of the steel rope.

When I bought my Superwinch it didn't come with a fair lead, but the steel rope was included and not optional. I fitted the plasma straight away, and the original steel rope is still hanging in the shed as it has for 7 years.

Steel is horrible to handle, especially if you're not going to use it much, I really recommend the softer rope, they're just as strong and much easier to manage IMHO.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fwiw goodwinch sells winches with plasma from the box. I still think you get the steel aswell. Stu

Definitely go for plasma rope, I can spool mine out in front of the winch and pick up the hook and throw it almost the full length of the rope, so much more pleasant to deal with than wire rope and much much safer when it does snap as it does not store any energy.

It's called a Hawse Clive.

Thanks for helping me out Chas :thumbup:

I also know know that the "plasma" ropes are not really "nylon" and they're not really "ropes" technically, but my illiteracy in these matters precedes me :lol:.

Truth is, when using a wire rope (even a new one) I ended up with it tangled and snaking around my legs and feet, and an old one used on my boat was disgracefully rusty and frayed, leading to bloody hands and painful stings from the b'tard, so much so, I won't touch one any more, even with leather gloves on:eusa-naughty:

Thanks chaps, best look out for one with a Plasma rope - why doesnt it need a Hawse then? :oops:

Thanks chaps, best look out for one with a Plasma rope - why doesnt it need a Hawse then? :oops:

Wire rope needs rollers to "feed" it onto the drum, so the fairlead has 4 rollers (top and bottom and left and right) to guide it.

The plasma type rope is flexible enough just to have a guide meaning a "letter-box" type slot without rollers.

The rollers for the steel rope are steel and heavy compared with the "letter-box" type slot which is usually aluminium. If you were to use the alloy type with wire rope, the excessive friction would crush the rope and cause damage to it.

All the above is my understanding of the physics and mechanics of it, and I'm quite prepared to stand corrected if someone intelligent says it's a load of cr*p! :lol:

Have a look at goodwinch.com You can get a good deal from them at one of the landrover shows or they will deliver. They also do a green dynemma that is a quality rope but quite a bit cheaper then other ropes. Very good products with very good customer service.

I had one of those Winchmax on my 70, not bad for the money but the 13000 is slow, really really slow, I mean slooooow. Personal preference for me is a 9500. I now have a Goodwinch 9500 on the 120 and similar came with Lil' Blue, they just seem better built and the braking mechanism I trust if winching down a hill.

I've got a winchmax on mine, yes it's slow, thats where you save the money. looks very well made though with an excellent reputation and good parts back up in the unlikely event you need it from the UK importer, who is based in bungay, Suffolk and is a very nice chap, very helpful..

A Bit like the OP mine is only there for insurance purposes (as a back up if I get stuck, which is rare, and because to be legal if you have a winch bumper, you must have a winch!), so the speed is fairly irrelevant. For about 400 quid including a plasma rop it's hard to beat TBH

IMG_4511_zps84c4fff8.jpg

IMG_4463_zps4561e1d8.jpg

Hi all, IMHO, If you opt for a cheaper winch, the thing that will be cheap is the solenoids, they will be fine as long as they are protected from condensation, or, the day you need the winch they may fail, you can either mount them in a Tupperware type box with something to absorb the moisture or change them for allbrites, or similar. The most reliable will be of course a properly plumbed in hydraulic, but overkill if it's only for occasional use. I have a 10,000lb Champion on the Bruiser with allbrites, 12 volt, it's good enough for what I do with it, however, I do have a hydraulic winch on the bench ready to fit when I've figured out a way of mounting a ZF pump to drive it.As far as wire ropes are concerned the obvious advantages of plasma makes an easy choice, however, can you justify the cost when it is only used very occasionally? I have plasma on the front and back on the competition truck and wire on the Bruiser, I always have heavy duty gloves for handling the wire, I too have the scars. Overall, whatever you choose a good winch gives a lovely sense of independence when froading, have fun, best regards, Bill Westley

Thanks Bill and everyone. Its gonna have to wait a bit now I have to pay to replace all the goodies smashed in the crash.........but, I think a Plasma rope would be best, dont want to hurt 'her' hands while she is running about in the mud ! :wtf: :whistle::laughing-rolling:

There you are, proper old fashioned gentleman! Thinking of "her" delicate little hands while she runs around for you! Well done, I'm impressed, mine " runs around" but it costs!!!! Not cheap, when you include the earplugs!! ( actually I'm just kidding my missus is really great at " winch bitching" and especially considering her age, 61) have fun, best regards to all, Bill Westley

Still ar*ing about with the idea of which one! But, another novice question.....My Collie has 2 batteries - would I be able to (a) connect up to either one and (b) would it be an idea to upgrade to another, bigger one? (trucks not here, so cant tell what size is on at the moment) :(

Back