Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Been helping Sam get his truck ready for him going off to Morocco for a month on Tuesday, been a nightmare week at it as we had to change the auto box on Wednesday night, and boy are they heavy, this put us back a bit, but all done now, roof tent on and all the mechanical stuff & fluids changed & checked.

Will spend tomorrow probably sorting the rest of the gear with him,& loading it up, just filled the water tank with sterilising stuff, let it sit overnight & flush it out in the morning
Andy

Basic service (air, oil and fuel) including a fully greased transmission.

Thanks @fbnss for keeping us company and for mucking in. A most enjoyable afternoon!

Basic service (air, oil and fuel) including a fully greased transmission.

Thanks @fbnss for keeping us company and for mucking in. A most enjoyable afternoon!
It certainly was! Fitted that light this morning, blinding. Just having a go at wiring in the mud uk lights into the tailgate.
IMG_7435.JPG IMG_7436.JPG
Bit brighter than the other one!

Looking reet proper there fella. We just need to plan a trip now. You've all the gear! Turning into a bit of a Cruiser whisperer you are.

Got the first week off in July if you don't mind getting me a birthday present? :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mate, just a tip. Be really careful when standing under really bright lights.

Just saying .....

Sort of maintenance, I've been given a filing cabinet, now installed in the man cave, and as all the long forgotten Cruiser bits I've bought and 'lost' (read mislaid :icon-redface:) come to light they will have a new home until I get round to fitting them.

Well gentlemen, my 'maintenance' for Saturday was to install my extended differential breather, fit the under cover plates at the front, drop and inspect the fuel tank, put it back if ok, and re-fit the fuel tank guard. Oh, and re-fit the tow bar and install new tow hitch.

So here's how it all went.......first of, get her up on the ramps....
upload_2017-3-27_16-12-41.png

...and give the diff breather a squirt to assist with removal.....
upload_2017-3-27_16-15-6.png

....and after unscrewing I hit my first (and only) issue.......the extender is not the correct size!
upload_2017-3-27_16-16-17.png

...so I'll have to get another on order. Can anyone tell me what size it should be? to fit a 1997 Prado? so anyway, I cleaned the original and stuck it back in.

General view underneath.... it's so nice to be able to sit under this thing and work....
upload_2017-3-27_16-16-55.png

Next up was to give the under covers a spray of chip paint type stuff and let them dry in the sun.....
upload_2017-3-27_16-21-9.png

....and the other one.... I know, boring stuff but I hope we all like pictures.....
upload_2017-3-27_16-23-29.png

...and while they were drying I cut the grass quick, but I won't show you that.....

So, the view underneath before bolting the plates back....
upload_2017-3-27_16-25-58.png

...and after.....
upload_2017-3-27_16-28-38.png

IMO I think she looks awesome again......

Anyway, after tackling the garden, time was ticking on, so I got to grips with the tow bar and hitch and got them on too.....
upload_2017-3-27_16-34-48.png

Though the bolts I've used are temporary as they were all I could find in the shed of wonders. I picked some bigger ones up at work today and will fit them later.
upload_2017-3-27_16-39-55.png

Has anybody used this type of tow/hitch before for recovery if required? I have to sort out the hooking up points as well. The original connectors are knackered.

I didn't get time to drop the tank, so I got some black vinyl out and pimped up my rear windows for fun.......
upload_2017-3-27_16-42-21.png

Anyway, that was my general maintenance for the day. I'll tackle the tank on the next available opportunity....... I really like the black and green look......

Looking good Bert we love pics so i feel you deprived us by not showing us your mower in action :lol:

If you intend to extend the breather i think you can just pull the cap off the original breather and pop a pipe on it . New breathers are cheap from RT .

Just dropped the oil and greased the props on the green one. All good.

Well gentlemen, my 'maintenance' for Saturday was to install my extended differential breather, fit the under cover plates at the front, drop and inspect the fuel tank, put it back if ok, and re-fit the fuel tank guard. Oh, and re-fit the tow bar and install new tow hitch.

So here's how it all went.......first of, get her up on the ramps....
View attachment 123825

...and give the diff breather a squirt to assist with removal.....
View attachment 123826

....and after unscrewing I hit my first (and only) issue.......the extender is not the correct size!
View attachment 123827

...so I'll have to get another on order. Can anyone tell me what size it should be? to fit a 1997 Prado? so anyway, I cleaned the original and stuck it back in.

General view underneath.... it's so nice to be able to sit under this thing and work....
View attachment 123828

Next up was to give the under covers a spray of chip paint type stuff and let them dry in the sun.....
View attachment 123829

....and the other one.... I know, boring stuff but I hope we all like pictures.....
View attachment 123830

...and while they were drying I cut the grass quick, but I won't show you that.....

So, the view underneath before bolting the plates back....
View attachment 123831

...and after.....
View attachment 123832

IMO I think she looks awesome again......

Anyway, after tackling the garden, time was ticking on, so I got to grips with the tow bar and hitch and got them on too.....
View attachment 123833

Though the bolts I've used are temporary as they were all I could find in the shed of wonders. I picked some bigger ones up at work today and will fit them later.
View attachment 123834
Has anybody used this type of tow/hitch before for recovery if required? I have to sort out the hooking up points as well. The original connectors are knackered.

I didn't get time to drop the tank, so I got some black vinyl out and pimped up my rear windows for fun.......
View attachment 123835

Anyway, that was my general maintenance for the day. I'll tackle the tank on the next available opportunity....... I really like the black and green look......

Looking good Simon, worth all the trouble!

Just a note, please use proper hitch-mount bolts, they're tempered for the job, and won't shear, or otherwise let you down.

They're not difficult to find or too expensive.

Vying
pull the cap off the original breather and pop a pipe on it
Hi Shayne. That did cross my mind but wasn't sure and didn't want to mutilate mine without knowing. I'll give it a go later. Cheers

P.s. I can post photos of grass cutting if you really, really wanted.... :)

Just a note, please use proper hitch-mount bolts, they're tempered for the job, and won't shear, or otherwise let you down.
Hi Clive. That's good to know. I was just going to use grade 8.8 M16 bolts to do the job. So is it likely that they will fail because they are high tensile?

Hi Clive. That's good to know. I was just going to use grade 8.8 M16 bolts to do the job. So is it likely that they will fail because they are high tensile?

Don't know TBH mate, but I was warned a long long time ago by a caravan sales guy and he had a rogues wall full of failed towing parts.

Stretched and bent bolts featured quite a lot in the collection and he said they weren't tow hitch bolts, and that's why they'd failed.

It's stuck with me ever since.

Maybe grade 8.8 bolts are the right ones... sorry, but I wouldn't know. :confusion-shrug:

Back