Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Changed injectors on the 120, old ones out of spec at 93k miles. Smoother and quieter now.
Hi Flint, where did you get your replacements from and how much? Thinking about doing mine as they are very noisy on cold start. How long did it take you?

Hi Flint, where did you get your replacements from and how much? Thinking about doing mine as they are very noisy on cold start. How long did it take you?

Took the words out of my mouth there Tony. Mine have just started faintly in the first half min after cold start up. Runs great but its there.

I got Denso reconditioned ones from here: https://www.pfjones.co.uk/diesel-fu...toyota-landcruiser-diesel-fuel-injectors.html
They came with the O ring fitted and seats that looked identical to the Toyota ones I got (and fitted) with the other bits and bobs from Simon Holton.
Doable in a day, though I did finish off the next morning with entering the compensation codes, pressure check and a final once over. The main thing really was keeping everything as clean and dust free as possible once the pipes and the rocker cover were off. As Rob Cowell mentioned in his write up (thanks), it makes life easier to remove the throttle body bracket. I did grind down the crows foot a bit to make it easier to undo the common rail connections and felt obliged to treat myself to a nice, shiny new low range Norbar torque wrench :). One thing I did find handy was a step up, quite bit of reaching and bending to do.

p.s. PF Jones charge £60 each surcharge, refunded on the return of the old ones, no surcharge on new injectors (obviously), so the ones that I got, the 730s were £144 each inc VAT once I get the refund.

Last edited:
Replaced wore drivers upper door hinge.

Used a genuine part (£62) and rattle can from Halfords (£6). Discovered why there's a side indicator in the wing, its real function is an access hole to see the bolts for the hinge. :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not exactly maintenance as much as making use of spare lights and a bit of aluminium angle......

upload_2019-4-12_13-43-57.png

....and then deciding to fart arse around inside getting the CB properly wired in rather than the ciggie socket. And fit a new switch so that I can have floods and spots independent....oh, and take out redundant ciggie socket and replace with dual usb to keep the Wife socially connected whilst on the move.

upload_2019-4-12_13-45-46.png

Not perfect...... yet......
upload_2019-4-12_13-47-27.png

Brakes, brakes, more brakes and oh, err brakes. Hmm, that's quite an improvement. They want a little bit of bedding in but initial feel is very good. I shall build the old ones back up and have them as swap-out spares to keep the brakes in good order. They'd be fine if I stuck to the tarmac I'm sure. But there's no fun in that.

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 15.54.51.jpg

New timing belt, pulley and tensioner. New water pump (front bit). New serpentine belt, old one had a few little cracks in it I didn't notice when it was on. Timing belt is so easy when you take the radiator cowl out to do the water pump. Old water pump was 180K miles old, with just the faintest bit of play in it, but for the sake of 50 quid I think it makes sense.

Brakes, brakes, more brakes and oh, err brakes. Hmm, that's quite an improvement. They want a little bit of bedding in but initial feel is very good. I shall build the old ones back up and have them as swap-out spares to keep the brakes in good order. They'd be fine if I stuck to the tarmac I'm sure. But there's no fun in that.

View attachment 155336
Did you rebuild them yourself Chris or send them off to someone like Bigred (SP)?

I have my old ones which I should send back for the deposit refund, but thinking of rebuilding them and putting them on the shelf as spares.....

So while fitting a rooftent my daughter had to have her dinner on the bonnet while helping...

So had to make it look like the beer was hers too
20190412_171355.jpg

See, there's another use for the bonnet net!

@TonyP I just bought news ones this time Tony. £150 each more or less. Money that I don't have but I needed to get the car off the drive and back into storage - another story.

I've rebuilt countless calipers to be honest; I mean dozens and dozens. I usually have all the parts in stock but I must have used half a kit somewhere. I've cleaned the bodies up and they look amazing. The pistons are all good too but I also have some genuine ones on the shelf too. I just need the seals and boots and they'll be good to go. Might have them finished with a coating or maybe paint them myself. The dishwasher got them nice and grease-free.

New timing belt, pulley and tensioner. New water pump (front bit). New serpentine belt, old one had a few little cracks in it I didn't notice when it was on. Timing belt is so easy when you take the radiator cowl out to do the water pump. Old water pump was 180K miles old, with just the faintest bit of play in it, but for the sake of 50 quid I think it makes sense.
Much better fitting just the pump itself instead of pump back housing , saves having to take sprockets off and cam belt backing plate which needs to remove intercooler etc to remove rocker box to hold cam whilst removing cam sprocket , a mechanic for the Cyprus Army I know here works on many 1kz and D4D Hilux told me early 1kz and early hilux have have one piece water pump , but to save time removing rocker box etc to remove cambelt back plate he raps the cam sprocket with an old cambelt at TDC and holds it down tight with molegrips and holds it tight while undoing the cam sprocket nut .

Cheers Chris, another side project for me to do at some point..... not that I'm very busy at the moment being a stay home dad... but that's another story as you say

Not maintenance as such but another MOT pass yesterday with no advisories although I don’t think they give those out in the same way as they did prior to the test revision last year. No mention of LED headlights, EGR mods, non standard exhaust etc. They did stick the emmisions probe up the tail pipe for the smoke test though. Never seen them do that before.

They did mine last time and had to check the machine. They did, it was working fine, their comment - there's nothing coming out mate! Should I be applying for a reduction in road tax?

Under the old rules it was just a “visible smoke” test for diesels of this era. Maybe now there’s an actual emmissions target to hit. I get a slight puff of black smoke if I boot it from a standstill, rest of the time there’s nothing to see. Strange when you think these are regarded as very dirty engines by today’s measures with no DPF’s, CAT’s etc. Ive followed cars 2-3 years old kicking out way more than that.

I stuck mine in the other day, failed on the hand brake, I'll take that as a pass!

You can certainly see where I've been with what comes out the exhaust

Just a couple of jobs today, got the 24 auto out of storage a couple of weeks ago, passed MOT no advisories just a mention of a slightly frayed seatbelt so I replaced that and fitted yet another KW steering wheel to enhance the driving experience.

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

Every bit helps.

Did you put a brown wheel in a grey truck andy or is it just the lighting on the photo? cheers for the shout out.

Back