Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Just 'serviced' the roof-rack and re-installed it; as well as jerries with new locking system.
Also added the LED flood: forward looking for game, and rearward as a work- or reverse light. :icon-wink: - folds away for heavy bush driving.

This in preparation for our Gonarezhou trip in July.

Attachments

• 2015-06-07-659.jpg
    2015-06-07-659.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 227
  • 2015-06-07-660.jpg
    2015-06-07-660.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 214
c35ac8e8cb14214dadffedf81e822de1.jpg

Finished refurbing one of my lower suspension arms with new white line bushes.

990c51c007896c3ab6eeb16df3c40ace.jpg

ecaa81bd8f6579d2041a80ce84d39845.jpg

Did a bit of a tidy up whilst I was underneath. Coat of fertan then Eastwood extreme chassis black primer and a final few coats of chassis black

9d05622ec7998dce601555c54ccdd027.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drove it 600 miles today, committing mass murder upon countless bugs and three grackles in the great state of Minnesota. I was called up to Minneapolis at the last minute to attend a conference.

11358753_10206060839234480_310754635_n.jpg

At the end of the trip, no leaks from the engine of oil or antifreeze. I feel incredibly happy that my pan resealing and radiator/hose replacement has worked. Several mechanics had recommended rear main seal replacement, but it was the pan arches, of course.

In a fit of anger, I removed the stupid headlight adjustment screw mechanism and realized I could adjust them directly with a needle nose vice grips through the back side. And I was almost ready to purchase new headlight buckets for big $$$$. Counter-clockwise for up and clockwise for down, btw..

Bored today... Part of my job is supervising exams... Well there was only 2 students sitting this afternoons exam, so I started killing time planning my upcoming maintenance and packing for our July trip...

IMAG0722_zpsqhedw9ad.jpg

..... Really bored!!

Last edited:
Lady luck has been smiling on me . About a month ago i removed the turbo actuator pipe and obviously a few other things to get to it . I replaced it with a longer pipe so i could fit a manual boost controller and boost gauge as and when time suited . Today i fitted the controller and went for a spin . Crap timing and roads were busy so i couldn't give it any welly but a steep hill climb indicated i could turn up the controller a couple of notches . There's a pub with a big car park right before the open stretch of fast road i was heading for so i pulled in there to turn up the boost . Que "was that steam" :shock: ...... :think: everything is dry and the coolant bottle is .......... Empty !!!! :shock:

Turns out when i put it all back together a month ago i must have moved the spring clip slightly on the pipe taking coolant up to the head . Evidently it has been acting to squeeze the pipe off its mount slowly but surely and the minor drips have been falling directly onto the exhaust evaporating unseen until today . Counting my blessings .

Just in time by the sound of it Shayne, hope it's ok...:pray:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
While under the influence of Irish Whisky, I dreamed up a way to rebuild my headlight adjustment mechanism. Two screws to remove, caaarefully pop the plastic tabs, take the main cog out, remove the shaft, put a tiny drop of cyanacrylate in the hole, reassemble in reverse order and carefully clean up any glue that squeezes out to prevent it all from sticking together.

11356084_10206068902476056_1957550281_n.jpg
11118015_10206068889715737_428867379_n.jpg
11329724_10206068858154948_985327545_n.jpg

Bored today... Part of my job is supervising exams... Well there was only 2 students sitting this afternoons exam, so I started killing time planning my upcoming maintenance and packing for our July trip...

IMAG0722_zpsqhedw9ad.jpg

..... Really bored!!

You forgot zip ties :D

Just in time by the sound of it Shayne, hope it's ok...:pray:

No harm done the coolant level was an inch below full when i set off into school run traffic so half hour hardly moving and the odd blat i managed had me scanning both the temp and boost readings which were fine so it must have let go completely on the final 500 yard blat from roundabout to car park . As i said counting my blessings because i only stopped to turn up the boost a little and my engine would be kaput now if i hadn't .

Standing waiting at the MOT station. handbrake adjusted beforehand and one windscreen wiper replaced which I was going to do this weekend anyway ... Passed no advisories. Hooray!

I erm failed my 80 on mot this morning as the handbrake doesn't really do anything! Job for the weekend. Knew it was going to need doing but wanted to make sure nothing else needs attention.

image.jpgPicked up the Africa car that just had a respray, will spend the weekend insulating the interior with fatmat..

Fat mat insulation done on the floor...not looking forward to doing the doors...

image.jpg

Also got my Trasharoon spare wheel bag, should be perfect for the morroco trip... And more...

image.jpg

Had the handbrake in bits, was seized up! Lack of use and excessive mud etc. Got it working and holds great so now have an mot. Gave it a service while had it on the ramp too, greased props etc.

Gave half my truck its annual deep clean ready for Morocco

61dadeb9d382ef16fb00b7839e098bce.jpg

Wash
T cut to take out last years scratches
Clay
Dodo juice lime prime polish
Dodo juice blue velvet wax

I'll do the rest in a few weeks as I can't move it at the moment with a couple of track days over the next few weeks

Photo doesn't do it justice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Replaced all the tie rod and track rod ends as well as the track rod, and all the sway bar bushes over the last couple of weekends, alignment sorted, radiator and cooling system flushed, packing system back in, roof bars, tent and awning on. Just got to chuck food, clothes and SWMBO in then head to sunny France for 2 weeks at a little cottage in Provence. Cannot wait ...

You've cracked on there Gary. Must have made a big dent in the list now.

Trip sounds nice. We're off to Greece for a week. Not in the truck.

Back