Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Depending on the USB charger it could draw up to 5 amps so you may want to splice it to its own power supply and have its own in-line fuse too. You don't want to fry the radio because its in-line fuse is rated higher than 2 amps ...

Depending on the USB charger it could draw up to 5 amps so you may want to splice it to its own power supply and have its own in-line fuse too. You don't want to fry the radio because its in-line fuse is rated higher than 2 amps ...

That is exactly what I will be doing in just a few minutes Gary as soon as I can find that bloody inline fuse, I know I've got one, but where. :confusion-confused:

Any chance of the pics please Clive?

I'm a bit confused mussy, pics of what? (Mind, it doesn't take much to confuse me, ask Chris...:lol:)

Actually, it was Chris that posted about fixing his mudflaps with new SS nuts and bolts and using rivnuts.

I need to do mine, but I haven't got round to it yet.

I will gladly send you photos of my mudflaps if you want, but I don't think they'll be of much use to you...:?

Last edited:
Err nor mine Mussy. Not sure what you're expecting to see. I just fixed them back on with stainless bolts so they just look like mud flaps fastened to an 80 series. There's nothing showing. Nothing clever to look at. I just reinforced the rusted out holes with some galv plates and such and put rivnuts in where J nuts used to be. Other than that where there used to be a rusty looking 10mm head self tapper there's now a shiny 10 mm head. Can't really tell you more than that other than the flaps are utterly rock solid now.

That is exactly what I will be doing in just a few minutes Gary as soon as I can find that bloody inline fuse, I know I've got one, but where. :confusion-confused:
Found the inline fuse, all fitted, rewired and working fine, in the process of doing the job the garage lights went out :icon-surprised:, I thought bugger me what have I done now but we had just had a power cut and the circuit breaker had tripped out.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Found the inline fuse, all fitted, rewired and working fine, in the process of doing the job the garage lights went out :icon-surprised:, I thought bugger me what have I done now but we had just had a power cut and the circuit breaker had tripped out.

:lol: Always good news when a retired electrician (and more I understand) is taken by surprise when his lights go out! :lol: It gives us mortals some encouragement in our ignorance.

Took all three wiper arms off, gave them a fettle and sprayed them gloss black. Not going to look like new but better then faded black and orange.

BUGGER! I have put so much grease in the front propshaft it's actually lifted the gearbox :doh: any hints/tips or do i have to remove the nipple or worse the shaft ?

Edit -

I managed to get the nipple out without ruining it so the gearbox is now sitting on its mount again but i am thinking the slider shouldn't be packed with grease or it will hinder movement ???

I'm thinking i should replace the underbody protection and go for a spin without replacing the nipple to release a bit more grease . Is this necessary do you think ?

Last edited:
It's not a bad idea to release some Shayne. Overpacking the sliders (front and rear) prevents the slider from moving and can give problems.

Maybe someone else can advise better than me.

I made the same mistake first time loose with the greasegun, my service shop gave me a right rollicking! :lol:

Went to fit new towbar... 2 holes aren't in quite the right place, therefore need expanding to fit the new towbar... original was Hayman-Reese, new on is Toyota, so I suspect the holes were in different places because of that.

Next weekend...

It's not a bad idea to release some Shayne. Overpacking the sliders (front and rear) prevents the slider from moving and can give problems.

Maybe someone else can advise better than me.

I made the same mistake first time loose with the greasegun, my service shop gave me a right rollicking! :lol:

Easy done Clive for me it was a mindless chore rudely interrupted by something called fathers day - sick of telling the buggers i've got no kids and i am certainly not grandad but apparently that's not my decision to make :lol: . 3 pumps of the gun and maybe 1 for luck is what i usually do but with stopping and starting i might have done some nipples twice or more :icon-rolleyes: nevermind i went for a lap of the docks which has umpteen speed bumps and took the fast road home and only released maybe 2 pumps of grease so it must have needed more than the usual anyway . Now to find my tapping set to drill out and replace the nipple i broke on the rear last time by trying to make life easy and buying a new flexi hose for the gun :doh:

Not really maintenance, but I did get around to fitting the new rear number plate while it wasn't raining yesterday.

IMG_4715.JPG

IMG_4716.JPG

Note to self, must get a bucket of stainless nuts and bolts of various sizes, I hate to see rusty bloody bolt heads on the truck. :angry-screaming:

Finally removed a titanic iceberg from the back of the fridge in the kitchen . . . .

It filled the kitchen sink :icon-redface:.

New door seals needed I think.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob.

Finally removed a titanic iceberg from the back of the fridge in the kitchen . . . . It filled the kitchen sink :icon-redface:. New door seals needed I think. :lol: :lol: :lol: Bob.

There's a thread on that somewhere here I think Bob :lol:

One of my spark plug tube gaskets let go during a recent 1200 mile trip. Ordered a new set and installed them, long with the camshaft cover gasket I already had.The lovely PO had broken off two bolts and left them glued in place with permatex, so I drilled them out and put a locking nut under the tab so they would torque properly.

11650624_10206191640384427_1988063707_n.jpgThe bits from this rode happily among the camshafts for about 1000 miles or so.

11651218_10206192859854913_848205470_n.jpgNew gaskets installed
11270131_10206197931781708_2046289350_n.jpg
Lower throttle body bolt install trick
11647211_10206198107426099_134937329_n.jpg
Purple valve cover for whimsy

Today I changed the oil and filters with minimal mess,
IMG_4895.JPG
Didn't do the fuel filter as it was replaced the other day with the injection pump.
While having a nose about I was wondering, what is this for? In front of the ps battery. Looks like you're supposed to inspect something but what?
IMG_4883.JPG
IMG_4884.JPG

Last edited:
It's the sight glass for your aircon. When it all drains, it's usually clear but sometimes when just regassed it's green most of the time. Start the AC and you should see green fluid rushing past in there. Or ....nothing.

ah i see, nope, my aircon is on the to do list, somewhere towards the end. Thanks Chris.

Well today I got the oil and filter done,fuel filter and air filter changed and feels a lot better for it.saving now for next items on the list im worse than the kids at Christmas,thought I'd of learnt my lesson doing stuff what doesn't need doing like I did on the BMW,she only done 4000m since last service,but look after them they look after you in my eyes.

Back