Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Just need a rubber grommet to protect the wire going threw the body and so I don't get any water coming in

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    755.9 KB · Views: 179
New starter motor arrived today and will be going in tomorrow , i imagine its just a case of out with the old and in with the new but its a first for me so anything i should be aware of ?

Replaced, as it turned out rather pointlessly, the bearing in the AC idler pulley. Swapped a grumbly one a while back which ran quiet but had some play in it. Machined out the old one tonight and pushed in new one. Silky smooth and still has exactly the same play in the bearing. Not the spigot, but the actual inner and outer race. I guess as long as it's not side loaded it doesn't matter. Oh well. Wasn't difficult nor expensive. They are staked in and truck to remove without a lathe. The staked bit is actually a steel disc cover and NOT the race itself.

New starter motor arrived today and will be going in tomorrow , i imagine its just a case of out with the old and in with the new but its a first for me so anything i should be aware of ?

It's a pretty straight forward Job. Juggling it in and out is the tough bit, I've always managed to bring it up and out from the engine bay than underneath. Oil filter may need to be removed for some additional clearance, not sure. I think it's two long bolts that keep it in which can be accessed pretty easily from underneath. Disconnect battery and connections on starter and away you go...

Are you just replacing it for peace of mind? Occasionally my starter has been clicking a couple times before starting so I imagine it's also on it's way out...

Are you just replacing it for peace of mind? Occasionally my starter has been clicking a couple times before starting so I imagine it's also on it's way out...

Unfortunately not Beau if it was just lazy i would pull it and clean everything to see if it sorted it before chucking 200 quid at a new one , its only an electric motor after all . Mine has never missed a beat until out of the blue i got that awful metal on metal grinding sound .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well it was over and under through the wheel arch and the other way but i got it out without removing the oil filter Uri Geller would be proud , imagine my dismay when i then noticed the new one was bigger ! but it pretty much just fell in :? . Wish i had noticed before putting it back in that the battery connection on the Roughtrax starter is 10mm and the original is 8mm so will have to drill out the connection in another game of twister :violin:

Have been busy getting settled into my new German apartment. But today I received customs clearance to import my US spec Series 80 for the duration of my habitation here. Huzzah!

According to the import company, the boat arrives the 11th, unloads the 13th and Marjan arrives to the local customs house the week of the 17th, thanks to yet another German holiday.

Figured I best check why I've used 3/4 tank to do 130 miles and why the emissions are a bit ripe! There's not much left of the oxygen sensor, broken it off I'm guessing the other weekend laning!! Smells oily on hot start too so I think it might be washing the bores a bit! Oops

Well got front disc and pads fitted now,both bottom inner pistons needed freeing off bang on now test it after tea and hope the pedal bouncing has stopped.
massive thank you to Simon yet again for a brilliant service and fast delivery :thumbup:

Oil change, new oil and air filters ready for Morocco.

Also tried to change the ac belt to find both my spares wont bloody fit, managed to gt it over the pulleys but can't get the tensioner back on and its too bastard tight to come off. Anyone know what size belt it should be??

Yes. Ever so slightly longer than that one
Ready for Morocco? You going before Oct too? I'm doing mine on the ferry

Today I fitted an Anderson plug and socket to feed the fridge but inadvertently pushed the contact pins in the wrong way round, how can they be removed to swap them over?

Little flat screwdriver under the pins - push the tab down that holds the pins in place and pull the cable out again. Simples:)

I have never managed to get the pins out again chas. What size is it as I could send you one if it the same as I have here.
Stu

I have never managed to get the pins out again chas. What size is it as I could send you one if it the same as I have here.
Stu
It's a 50A size, but there must be a way of getting them out, if I can't I could always chop the cable and cross them with a connector block if nothing else will do.

Just do as I've said Chas and all will be well - do it regularly and never had an issue

Done the same trick as Gary many times on various sizes of Anderson plug

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just do as I've said Chas and all will be well - do it regularly and never had an issue

I've only just seen your post Gary, but I managed to figure out how to release the pins, unfortunately I managed to damage the housing slightly and I get intermittent contact which is not a good idea for a fridge so I'll order another Anderson plug and hope it gets here before we leave for Romania.

Back