Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

The '100' has been sitting, unused, in the yard while we were (are) in lockdown and I finally fired it up to go and collect a set of ramps from a neighbour.

The AHC light was flashing "OFF', which I hadn't seen before, so I checked & cleaned the connections around the pump - no change.

To cut a long story short, the upper balljoint on the N/S height sensor arm had popped off its ball - the rust had got to it :doh:.

I have ordered replacement link arms from Milners, but in the meantime used SS locking wire to hold the joints together - I did both fronts just to be on the safe side:

This is the O/S one that was still clinging on (I forgot to take pictures when doing the N/S).

DSCN9611.jpg

The next challenge will be unbolting the arm from the rheostat - there isn't much left of the nut & thread apart from rust.

A test run showed that the system is working again - great relief.

I also had the Air-con system drained professionally today - the compressor has seized solid (the belt burned through and disappeared - daughters aren't very sensitive to machinery). Now to find a suitable replacement without paying Toyota prices (c. £1200 for the pump and c. £700 for the electric clutch :icon-eek:).

Finally, the inner N/S bracket that holds the rear mudflap had rotted through so I went to fit the nice new Toyota one Simon sent me . . . . .

I now have a shovel-full of rust and a large hole where the lower wheel arch used to be - Ho-Hum.

Tomorrow's job is to fabricate new body panels out of 1.6mm galvanised steel sheet and try to re-hang the mudflap.

Gotta love Scottish cars - they rot before your eyes.

Bob.

Just today finally realized too Bob my A/C compressor was seizing under load. Bad smell like you said. Looking out for a good second unit to help with the 40 deg heat!!

Hopefully you get your truck back to good help with ease.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fitted some new LED H4 bulbs to the headlamps. I've had some in for around 2 years now and the low beam has just failed on one. The new ones give just as good a beam pattern as the old ones and have built in drivers so no separate PSU to locate.

After having another leak on the fuel tank its been away for repair again (different area) refitted it this afternoon. Its now been coated inside.
Replaced rear pinion seal as was stating to leak a little bit.

Tidy up of the front:

New headlights
New fog lights
New bulbs
New grill
Bonnet protector (which may or may not be staying...)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Installed new brake pads in front this morning. Since the fronts aren't making horrible sounds anymore, I noticed that the rears were squealing. Changed them out tonight.
It's so quiet now!

Odd thing is that the squealing rears were only worn about 50%!

Hi there Karl, I would be interested to know if you dont mind, where you got your new headlights/ foglights? One headlight on mine is going milky, one foglight always holding moisture on mine, so looking to replace. Expensive items, even non dealer.
What's happened with the bonnet deflector, and did your wind deflectors come good?
So many questions.... cheers!

Hello mate,

Got them from roughtrax. £200 quid a headlight and the fogs are £60-70 each I think. I got sick of trying to polish the headlights - I tried a few times and made some improvement to them but they still weren't quite good enough - I suppose they're 15 years old now after all....

Wind deflectors are great, I like those.

Bonnet deflector... well its on, but I'm just not sure if I like it!!

To fit the headlights you have to take the bumper cover off, not too bad just a pain.

The fog lights.... they were an absolute ******** ! Theres supposed to be a 'clip' that holds them in place, more like a half mangled piece of plastic you have to bend with a screwdriver to get the buggers out, and then in again. Might just be mine, dont know, but I thought that would be the easiest part of the job and ended up being the hardest!!!

Yer, know what you mean with the polishing mate, done mine 3 times now. N/s was and is bright shiny new when I got lc and o/s always let it down, looks terrible.
Fog lights, I have heard that before about getting out. What a design where bumpers have to come off to remove lights! I had to do same with rear bumper to change rotted out metal light shrouds, and that led to sheared off bolts, rotted bumper brackets etc.
While you had front bumper off did you have any joy with your sensors, as you know, I disconnected mine front and rear - couldn't be arsed to spend any more time on them!

I attempted to check over the rear brakes on my fj45 - first drum is stuck fast and no amount of hammering or wd40 seems to make it budge. No movement at all though the pads are retracted I think - spins fine. I guess this will be a longer job!
69F8F8D0-CCF2-4593-B832-D6ADD0F11425.jpeg

While you had front bumper off did you have any joy with your sensors, as you know, I disconnected mine front and rear - couldn't be arsed to spend any more time on them!

Ha I'm in the same boat at the moment. I'm pretty sure I've got a problem with the control unit, but there's at least one other problem in that the speed wire is now purposefully disconnected due to another issue. It's still on the list, but at the bottom now!

Not familiar with that model mate, and I'm sure your on top of it, but are the holes top and bottom on there threaded? If so a couple of bolts wound in may push it off or maybe bolt a pulleron there and either way a good few smacks under pressure may break the seal?

Ahh, the lists Karl, - as I work down a list other problems rear their ugly heads, so it gets longer, not shorter.
The joys of buying someone else's problems eh? Nearly done.
You must be about done now if your fitting add ons lol.

I'll have that soon too... I fear a few bushings might need doing this time around in the front control arms... I'll be farming that awful job out to an unwitting fool... I mean garage...
Truck won't be doing anything near the mileage it was used to from here on.. which is no harm really!

@Bob best to order new camber bolts if you think yours will be seized. I went with Whiteline bushing which so far have held up good.

Replaced knackered H4 headlight connectors.

Attachments

• 20200905_133315.jpg
    20200905_133315.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200905_130444.jpg
    20200905_130444.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 25
The Nightmare Starts . . . . :angry-screaming: .

DSCN9713.jpg

DSCN9715.jpg

DSCN9716.jpg

DSCN9706.jpg

DSCN9707.jpg

DSCN9709.jpg

DSCN9712.jpg

Where to start :?:

I'm not good with tin-work and I'm having to do this outside as the RSJ in the garage doesn't allow the '100' to be lifted. Also, if I 'accidently' set it alight with a welder I'm less likely to lose the outbuilding :icon-wink:.

There are four body panels coming together at the lower edge of the sill (or, there were) and only the lower 2 to 3 inches are corroded. Will I find something strong enough to weld to ??

I'll have to remove the four AHC actuators as well as they are blocking access. Will the pipework survive I wonder.

I've been putting this off and now we are into Autumn . . . Bad timing.

Strangely, the two RAV4s we have (both 07 plates) don't suffer body rot in the same way, its just my two Landcruisers that are reverting to nature before my eyes.

Right . . Stop whinging and get on with it.

Bob.

Back