Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

12 volt starter conversion all done, I did need a quick sanity check with JW regarding the earths and timer relay but after that the rest went easy.

Decided to fix the sagging nets on the back of the front seats .....

Back is held on by 2 self tapping screws and clips.....

Simple job to then remove the one time use trim clips and remove the U shaped plastic net retaining frame and fit some new shock cord........ NOT ;-)

10 minutes of stabbing fingers with sharp spikey picks and screwdrivers and I had removed 3 of them and lost a finger or two's worth of blood .

There is an easier way..... remove the top 2 clips from the U by prising up and then cutting the clip with a pair of small side cutters....(you will need a good pair as the clips are hard) this allows just enough room to pull the U away from the seat and thread in a new piece of shock cord ....stick the knots on the end back in the U with a glue gun as originally done then stick the pins poking through the seat back with the glue gun instead of using the same type of clips previously removed ... refit seat backs ....

First one was a struggle .... second using above technique took 5 mins ...... and I now have lovely non saggy seat back nets that will be covered up when my new Escape Gear seat covers arrive next week .... oh well at least I'll know they're there .

Replaced exhaust back box section on the 81 yesterday, had to drop the Panhard rod and lift body a little bit due to Long Ranger tank getting in the way. Used a ratchet strap to realign the Panhard bush and body mount.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Replaced water pump on the 80, bit more of an involved job than I thought. Timing belt off, cam gear off then front cover off. Not Toyota's best idea. Also replaced n/s/r calliper as siezed and the pads while I was there.

Funnily enough I was trying to do that (as part of a bigger job trying to patch my porous diff case - anyway that's still a work in progress).

When you say "freed up" - how can you tell?

The cap was still free/loose and actually came off - though I have no idea on the state of the breather as it's stuck solid and I can't remove it.

Maybe I just mean the cap? When its free the top will spin freely and can move up and down slightly. Mine was solid and didn't move at all...

The cap on mine moved a bit more than "up and down slightly" - in fact about 6ft to the left, when it came off completely and pinged off! :icon-wink:

Also would you expect to get any fine spray/ misting of diff oil out of the breather, when the breather "blows"?

Haha. Not sure - will find out! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing really challenging or exciting, just a grubby afternoon underneath the 80 with a wire brush, some Aquasteel and motorcycle chain lube. Looking at some areas I treated last year with the stuff there’s no signs of it flaking off or rust appearing through. The resin coating the Aquasteel leaves behind seems to be a very tough resilient finish.

Last edited:
MOT tomorrow, so just been through the brakes, all friction materials discs etc good, but the inner front caliper pistons on both sides needed freeing off again, should be ok for now but will see about a new pair or get the present calipers refurbed.
Greased the props, checked around everything obvious.
No oils or anything need changing, engine oil replaced some 600 miles ago.

Took the opportunity of good weather to do the same as @Towpack - out at 8am this morning and none stop wire brushing and AquaSteeling, just packed up some 7 1/2 hours later. Have completed from the rear up to the front doors. Didn't have it in me to complete the front - that’s for another day.

Greased my driveshaft, leftover from my servicing last month when I ran out of grease. Checked the oil and water and looks like no oil used over 1000km so that's good. Water was a bit low but I've never topped that up in 2 years so I'll keep an eye on it.

Also did an oil change on my car and found some underbody trim hanging down so I reattached that.

Back