Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wholly electric cars

So they discovered another planet that maybe could support human beings for there to be habitats on said planet where did they get the resources from for them to survive food clothing shelter had to be got from somewhere they had to dig drill transport manufacturer distribute so let's deplete what little we have left for the few selfish bar starreds that don't want to live here no more sounds about right

Rent it from your boss who will also own your home and every place you can shop
You've described life in the 19th century which is what the current government is hell bent on recreating .The high cost of new electric cars & the problems of second hand - 1000s for a new battery - make renting the easy option.So give the manufacture an interest free loan for 3 years and pay 300 quid a month or whatever.
as a company car
The key words in your post Tony.

The key words in your post Tony.
Indeed if it's about the cost of ownership. Right now I would not spend my hard earned on a electric car, hell I've not bought a new car since we got the 120 15 years ago, let alone spend £60k on one...

I was trying to reflect the real world of owning a EV, which is to say there is a lot to be done still and defo we will not be able to do any maintenance ourselves on these. Hello don't even know what if any the service schedule for the Tesla is.....

if we limit the amount of humans then the planet has a future , if we don't then leccy cars are just a stop gap .
it's not the numbers Grimbo but a wasteful few consuming far too many resources.The US has 5% of the worlds population but consumes 25% of it's resources.
The idiots who are pushing the green agenda seem to think we can put solar farms on prime farm land , plant trees on food producing land, build ever more houses on the same and then somehow feed an ever increasing world population from an ever decreasing amount of productive land that as the planet warms (man made or not )
They aren't idiots mate they're grasping corporations who are rubbing their hands at the prospect of handouts and tax breaks to fix the problem they created.

Its the EU pushing this agenda and its well known those who stand in the way of so called progress get left behind so Doris has little choice but to ride the winds of change . The attitude being if thats the way it has to be then we will do it bigger better and faster . Globalization utopia alienates all but 1 in every thousand people but so called forward thinkers believe positive thinking and pipe dreams will feed the world .

Cannibalism is the way to go for the forwards thinking person with 8 billion happy meals walking around and you can reuse the packaging
they come in if you choose the right size and of course multiple fashion choices The strong will prey on the weak always have always will but in saying that the weak become politicians so they can prey on those stronger than themselves and then use the local paramilitary organisation to enforce their decisions so I'm going to run a marathon go to the gym and start by getting myself elected to the local council So please vote for me enjoy your happy meal and I will reduce fossil fuel at the pumps tax electric cars on build quality and production costs open up national parks for responsible recreational use of Landcruiser owners and anything you would like to pay considerable amounts of encouragement £££££££££££££££££s for

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Precise;y Chas! You hit the nail on the head buddy!

...the new electric Porsche Taycan ...
Just read an article on the first successful electric car. It was made by Ferdinand Porsche, in 1898, 50 years before the first car in his own name. It was called Egger-Lohner, and the technology was called System Lohner-Posche. Ferdinand was 23 years old. He put one motor into each front wheel hub, and batteries in 3 crates, front, middle and rear, 44 cells with 80 volts altogether. He also made a version with motors in the rear wheels as well, making it the first 4x4, and a version with ICE to help with producing electricity, thereby making the first hybrid. They were in production up to 1906, and a few more made up to 1915.

BTW, around here, every second car I see is either a Tesla or a Leaf. ICE cars are heavily taxed here, (making the price of cars in the UK look like a joke) while EVs are tax free, so it makes sense.

Its the EU pushing this agenda and its well known those who stand in the way of so called progress get left behind so Doris has little choice but to ride the winds of change .
surely not ! you mean Brexit was pointless :fearscream: Come on mate have some faith , after Jan.1st everything will be great.
Cannibalism is the way to go for the forwards thinking person
the thought of fillet of Micheal Gove has almost put me off my dinner.How about rendering down the politicians ? Think of how much soap could be made .

Brexit will never be pointless history will remember it as a catalyst that could have prevented WW3 but didn't .

Brexit will never be pointless history will remember it as a catalyst that could have prevented WW3 but didn't .
time will tell.A lot of Spanish folks hate the centralised power of Brussels but see the EU as a way of preventing armed conflict.

I don't think there will ever be a thing as free energy. If you take wind farms, the planets winds are part of it's natural cycle. We will be putting wind farms where the wind is. Even at ground level if we slow the wind with sails that's going to change the world. Pressures all over the planet will be altered.
Yes too many people. When I was 7 yo in Cheltenham I used to ride my bike all round the town exploring everywhere and never saw a car. Grid locked with cars now.

.....all stuck behind some old geezer riding his peddley bike around the town .....

With Frank on towns getting bigger i joined up in 77 there was a population of around 3000 in Shepton when I left today there is well over ten thousand we got imports from allover the UK and some from foreign shores we used to have a Clark shoe factory ICI chemicals massive cattle market and so on the town is dieing but we got some nice hanging baskets and a big tesco shop and to balance the whole equation an Aldi THATS progress for ya

Lets just hope enough independence is achieved so as something realistic and positive can be done in recognition of "classic cars"which are all set to be criminalized under the current trend .

The US has got classic status for over 25yrs AUS has got something similar and I seem to remember over here a classic thing was introduced quite a while back but am not up to date on such things being a totally selfish git just look at what concerns me me me me however don't half get a big driving buzz in a Landcruiser
classic

Lets just hope enough independence is achieved so as something realistic and positive can be done in recognition of "classic cars"which are all set to be criminalized under the current trend .
Worry for us is some of our WW2 vehicles are not at all economic on fuel ...... 600 yards per gallon for a Sherman and 6-9 mpg for the Halftrack and the radial engines in Sherman's don't like the ethanol in petrol that is only set to increase....one friend now runs his Sherman on avgas ...

Will we be left with worthless museum pieces if they can't be driven ? Will the loony eco crowd do what Hitler never managed and clear the skies of Spitfires ?

Makes me smile at people who claim their EV is zero emissions.... what about the rubber left on the road from it's tyres .....the dust from the brakes ?
And how are the tyres made in a way that's less polluting than my 285/75/16 BFG's ?
The electric it runs on may well come from a wind turbine ruining the sky line on a mountain but they don't include all the CO2 produced putting the service road up the previously unchanged for millennia mountain for the wind farm in their calculation .

[
Will we be left with worthless museum pieces if they can't be driven ? Will the loony eco crowd do what Hitler never managed and clear the skies of Spitfires ?

Good question. I watched a program the other night about a famous rock star's collection of classic cars. He bought a Ferrari 250GTO in the '70's and it's now worth £40 million+ and he still drives it on the road. How much will it be worth and who will want it if it becomes illegal to drive it?

We have many friends with steam engines...... if the Eco crowd stop them they will also kill off the last bastion of proper engineering in sheds and workshops...
The local Steam group run a Steam Apprenticeship where kids starting at 10 or younger are taught how to drive and maintain traction engines and rollers...this ensures another generation who know the black art of steam ....you can't learn it from a book !

I begin to despair ..... in a few years all the ambulance chasing lawyers will be running adds " have you been miss sold an EV ? " already happening with solar panels .
But by that time they will have killed off many parts of our living heritage .....

Back