Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who's using what air-down tool for their tyres ?

Grimbo

Country Flag
great_britain
As thread title...... opinion's on the best and most reliable air -down tools budget or otherwise .
Boulder Tools seem to be commonly available but get mixed reviews on both the screw on type and the core removal type....
I have mixed feelings about the type that remove the valve core as surely this leads to leaking valves over time as they are normally not designed for repeated removal .
I like the idea of the screw on the valve and walk away until the correct pressure is reached type .... but the premium ones from Oz are not cheap
That said..... I still in the AG world just remove the valve but we use a water-ballast type valve that is more robust.... and always make sure I have a spare in my pocket as a 710/70 x 42 rear pushes a lot of air out and watching it fly over the hedge can ruin your day......

I have a arb core removal one which I find a bit of a faf.

Also I have a 4way indeflate which is pretty amazing. Although I don't change my tyre pressures much for uk stuff.

I think the shaun deflator or a copy is a good idea for speed.

I have a 2way indeflate. One of the few ‘gadgets’ actually worth having. Hardly used in UK but used 100s times on 6-month trip. Makes airing up and down much easier.

I have Staun deflators and also a set of the cheaper copies. I used Stauns a lot on my old 70. They work well and take up no space.

Indeflate looks good but costly, keep meaning to see if I can make up something similar

You could earlier make something similar to the indeflate. How ever they are very well made and easy to use

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I use the ARB E-Z Deflator that is great and takes less than a minute to air down each of my 286/75/16's from 50 to 24 psi in turn, but you have to be outside in the piss, wind and rain for the whole operation! They are great as you remove the core so you couldn't get a faster air down, but my m8 Giles has the Staun preset ones and just runs round the truck screwing them on and then jumps back in while they do there thing. They take a smidge longer as we have raced one another doing it before, but he can jump back into the warm while his do the thing :0)

i am in the manual camp - low tech no room for failure :) I have been on numerous long trips with others and those with multiple hoses/gadgets don’t seem to have much advantage. It’s such a small potential/theoretical time saving that having yet another gadget plus their high cost makes me think it’s not really worth it. & Deffo agree with points above about not mucking about with the valve core.

Last edited:
I've got a copy of the ARB E-Z deflator which I wouldn't be without. I also carry a whole load of spare core's in the tyre tools bag, so that when a valve pops out and flys off into the sand its easy to quickly grab another one and put it in. I would also change the tyre valve if I started to get a slow leak in one of the tyres, as it'a fairly good culprit.

Some interesting differences in views on this one. Always good to see a good discussion.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 7
I got a set of these from Ebay for £9.99 and they work just fine

:DVkAAOSwuxpZbSB8&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4MRS6WP7flHiBb1XX15VrbHSR09KBLyMIPl4QxPiI4oYleiA7wQV4P81OwyGtgAju5G6Snn%2BZ%2BTdQj3GWPjqF%2B86K5QImyu3WtvruOgcN2jJSBFEV7wV0KU45h4Wql30u07lhu50wJuVTNWZgk4KmuuJJ2nvyy6%2FYeQpY4kPM5T9fpM%2BnyvwHMWk6YgZLtUx1%2Bo4amycYAiBNsMpPI32OcannPzOAQ0USLFdH2hBLw6yBY2pD3%2Fs7oyI4sWyyIGVBM6AZG00Nxyz4S2FkeXHIyJDfkIOZb0FpzERYwr099jU%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4aJrv2LYw[/URL]
I saw those and looked at the price of Staun ones and thought too good to be true and the first time you used them they would fly apart..... at that price they are no doubt carefully crafted by China's finest engineers out of chinesium but I won't use them every day so may give them a try and report back .

I saw those and looked at the price of Staun ones and thought too good to be true and the first time you used them they would fly apart..... at that price they are no doubt carefully crafted by China's finest engineers out of chinesium but I won't use them every day so may give them a try and report back .
Chinesium.. hahaha.

I know exactly what you mean but I have to say I've used mine on a number of occasions now and they work just fine and to be honest even if they fall apart next time I use then and I have to get another set I'm still quids in by a long shot..

Back