Why do i not see more barn doors

Van Rhyn Jun 22, 2019

1. Van Rhyn

Van Rhyn New Member I am in south_africa

Map
    12D14803-0428-43D4-ABA0-57051167EE74.jpeg I have a 1995 80 series in South Africa. I never se a model exactly like mine , all of them have the tailgate type and i have the barn doors.
    NOW i have read it is very rare as it was a UN spec cruiser. I dont know how true this is and if i believe this but i cant find a proper answer to this and i have not seen barndoors except mine . Some form in South Africa also said they had a 80 meet with 400 cars and only 4 or so had this barn door setup. Any clarity on this ??

2. fbnss

fbnss Well-Known Member Supporter I am in england

Map
  3. Van Rhyn

Map
    Are the also very rare in europe . As the imports we have from england are all tailgate type and full time AWD with rear sliding windows. Mine is 4x4 with barndoors and fixed rear side windows

4. fbnss

Map
  5. Towpack

Towpack Well-Known Member Supporter I am in england

Garage:
    Map
    The 80 series was launched with rear barn doors but were replaced in ‘94 in most markets with a tailgate although NATO spec vehicles kept them. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a UK spec with barn doors.

clivehorridge and fbnss like this.
  6. Van Rhyn

Map
    So my 1995 with barndoors is as they say NATO or United Nations spec? Very cool

clivehorridge likes this.
  7. Van Rhyn

Map
    Yes all the UK spec are 1hd models as far as i know . Mine is also 1hz . But damn she runs good . I was afraid ot was going to bore me as im used to my v8 hilux with 260hp but if you take it for what it is im very happy with it.

fbnss likes this.
  8. fbnss

Map
    the only thing possibly boring about an 80 is that it will just walk over everything where others can struggle!

Dave 2000 and clivehorridge like this.
  9. Van Rhyn

Map
    Very true. The low range is potent as hell. We do lots of soft sand and that is where my hilux walks over everything with a weight of 1500kg and 0.3bar 33s and lockers front and back. Think my 80 will struggle in sand but it wil destroy rocks .

10. fbnss

Map
    All sounds more eventful than my weekly trip to the supermarket! I think more pictures are required :)

clivehorridge likes this.
  11. Van Rhyn

Map
    Yet to get nice footage of the 80

Attached Files:

12. Jacob100

Jacob100 Well-Known Member Supporter I am in uk

Map
    Welcome along. That’s a nice, clean Cruiser. Do you have third row bench seats in there as well?

13. Paddler Ed

Paddler Ed Well-Known Member I am in australia

Garage:
    Map
  14. fbnss

Map
    i couldnt see anything but just discovered i've downloaded a video 7 times, sounds great and definitly nothing like that on the way to sainsburys!

Van Rhyn likes this.
  15. Van Rhyn

Map
    Ive also wondered why it does not word hahahaha ok so it downloads

clivehorridge and fbnss like this.
  16. Van Rhyn

Map
    Mine is not that spec. Mine is GX with flairs and 2 front seats and 3 seat rear

17. fbnss

Map
    For video I've only ever managed to get it to work from a link on youtube

Van Rhyn likes this.
  18. Matt McCawley

Matt McCawley New Member I am in uganda

Map
    There are quite a few 80 series here in Uganda with the Ambulance doors. I think most of them are 5 seaters with the 1HZ.

Van Rhyn likes this.
  19. Van Rhyn

Map
    Yes that is how mine is. When i read about the spec they said UN ambulance spec hahaha again dont know how true that is . But hey i like having something different

20. clivehorridge

clivehorridge Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in romania

Garage:
    Map
    Well my ears have been burning, welcome aboard Van:thumbup:

Mines a 1995 Euro Spec HZJ80 GX originally one of 6 bought by the Canadian Consulate here in Bucharest.
    It then fell into the care (or lack of it) of a Brit builder living here, and I bought it from him 13 years ago. It’s got 430k kms on the clock and sounds like a can of dried peas, but still keeps growling along. It’s my DD too :lol:

I like the ambulance doors, but I think the tailgate would suit campers and Overlanders better JMHO.

Mines registered as a 7 seater, but the seating configuration (3 rows) is identical to the 8 seater UK HDJ80s.

Mine only had seatbelts on the front row, so I’ve retro fitted 3 belts on the middle row.

It came without over-arches and steel bicycle wheels 215/85/16s on 6” wide rims... nightmare :?

No turbo though, naturally asthmatic :lol: suits me though, I’m old too so we’re good buddies me and the truck...

Just to add, it’s full time 4x4, sliding rear side windows, all 3 lockers, air con and an ashtray.

Van Rhyn likes this.
Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter