Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Why do i not see more barn doors

Barn door or not has not much to do with UN spec or not however they do seem to prefer them.
I always believed the barn doors were standard on the GX (low spec models without wheel arch flares and clotch interior etc), and the tailgate was optional on those, and stock on the VX models.
I have seen a few 24 valve cruisers with barn doors over here wich are always GX spec.

Well my ears have been burning, welcome aboard Van:thumbup:

Mines a 1995 Euro Spec HZJ80 GX originally one of 6 bought by the Canadian Consulate here in Bucharest.
It then fell into the care (or lack of it) of a Brit builder living here, and I bought it from him 13 years ago. It’s got 430k kms on the clock and sounds like a can of dried peas, but still keeps growling along. It’s my DD too :lol:

I like the ambulance doors, but I think the tailgate would suit campers and Overlanders better JMHO.

Mines registered as a 7 seater, but the seating configuration (3 rows) is identical to the 8 seater UK HDJ80s.

Mine only had seatbelts on the front row, so I’ve retro fitted 3 belts on the middle row.

It came without over-arches and steel bicycle wheels 215/85/16s on 6” wide rims... nightmare :?

No turbo though, naturally asthmatic :lol: suits me though, I’m old too so we’re good buddies me and the truck...

Just to add, it’s full time 4x4, sliding rear side windows, all 3 lockers, air con and an ashtray.
Hahahah thanks for replying. Love the ashtray part . My hilux broke the gearbox n few days ago in the desert up in namibia so im also full time in my 80. Going to rebuild it for next year with a d4d gearbox. My 80 has been getting a wet floor on the passenger side . Cant find any leaks . Any idea what it is. Also its clean water and not antifreez. I have now blocked the rear window cleaner pipe to see if it maybe have a hole in it

Hahahah thanks for replying. Love the ashtray part . My hilux broke the gearbox n few days ago in the desert up in namibia so im also full time in my 80. Going to rebuild it for next year with a d4d gearbox. My 80 has been getting a wet floor on the passenger side . Cant find any leaks . Any idea what it is. Also its clean water and not antifreez. I have now blocked the rear window cleaner pipe to see if it maybe have a hole in it

Can’t help really on where your leak may be from, if it’s clear water, it’s most likely to be rainwater entering from one of the window seals. If it’s at the front it’s most likely the windscreen, at the rear, most likely a rear side window.

It would be unusual for any of the door glasses to leak water into the truck, and one of the main offenders for leaks is the sun-roof if you have one.

Several posts on here deal with various causes of leaks, but I can’t guide you to any in particular, sorry.

Van Rhyn - My 80 series also had a wet passenger floor which eventually rotted out!
I took out all the dash expecting to trace a leaking windscreen rubber.
In frustration I even completely sealed the edge of the windscreen with silicone!
I eventually found the "gutter" of the roof (no sunroof) had slightly cracked sealing mastic in it which to my surprise was the culprit! so I gouged the lot out and put in fresh stuff. Hope this helps you out.

Oh BTW - my 80 has the barn doors - front bench seat - fixed rear windows.... white of course....

Back