Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Why do we shake hands?

Learned the origins of the handshake years ago, in the Cubs I think.
Interesting that a number of people at the beginning were shaking left handed.
I hate it when people turn it into some kind of squeezing competition! Firm, not limp and not trying to impose your manliness by squeezing the shit out of the other guys hand.

I learned that in the Cubs too!
The left handed hand shake was to actually allow people to continue to hold their spears. Effectively it's a reverse of the reason for shake explained in the video. It's a sort of trust thing rather than a distrust thing.

Dyb dyb....

Last edited:
I learned that in the Cubs too!
The left handed hand shake was to actually allow people to continue to hold their spears. Effectively it's a reverse of the reason for shake explained in the video. It's a sort of trust thing rather than a distrust thing.

Dib dib.

You missed a dyb there Chris and spelt them wrong :eusa-naughty:

the scout handshake (left hand) has different origins. One theory is it comes from the Ashanti tribe. For them a left hand shake was a sign of bravery as the warriors had to drop their shield to shake hands. The other is Baden Powells promotion of ambidextirity

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No idea what you're on about.

I always thought it was weapons related , kind of give me your sword hand if you want to talk instead of fight .

I hate it when people turn it into some kind of squeezing competition! Firm, not limp and not trying to impose your manliness by squeezing the shit out of the other guys hand.

There was a guy with massive paws and forearms renowned for this when i was a teen just starting working on boats , thought it was a great joke but his laugh convinced nobody when i stamped on his toe with the heel of my boot ;)

Back