Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Why don't Brits eat fish?

No bones in shellfish which the vast majority of smaller boats rely on to save them from quota's .

No bones in shellfish which the vast majority of smaller boats rely on to save them from quota's .
We got some of the finest foods known to man in the seas around this little island. I love most seafood. Used to fish for bass before we were stopped. Even the common stuff fresh mackerel sand dabs fresh whiting to name a few are beautiful. So much quality stuff sent abroad they must piss themselves laughing at us as a nation.

The Kallin Harbour Cafe on North Uist does fantastic scallop and black pudding / bacon rolls but with the exception of this, fish and chips and the occasional BBQ'd salmon fillet I like the idea of fish more than the actual experience.

The Kallin Harbour Cafe on North Uist does fantastic scallop and black pudding / bacon rolls but with the exception of this, fish and chips and the occasional BBQ'd salmon fillet I like the idea of fish more than the actual experience.
Monkfish is great if your not a fishy person. It's really meaty and dare I say different to fish @!! My missus isn't a fish fan but loves a bit of monkfish wrapped in a bit of Parma ham or even bacon

Near us here we have a fisherman's coop; the boats are behind it and then there is a fish counter and a fish and chip shop.
https://coffsfishcoop.com.au/

Further afield, the catch generally gets down to the Sydney Fish Market for sale in a Dutch Auction, where they put through about 50,000kg a day from along the NSW coast.
https://www.sydneyfishmarket.com.au/

I'm not a big fan of fish; I like it battered or curried, but that's about it. Parents on the other hand do like it, including smoked fish. Not helped I think by Dad's travels to Sweden where they do eat a lot of fish as well.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think my local and very small industry puts 20 million into the economy a year from a 1500 square mile radius and very little of it is consumed locally .

Britain probably has rights to cultivate 1000 times that radius and they haven't invested anything into it for decades other than to build offices full of cheerful "helpful" people fishermen just want to strangle every time they are forced to talk to them .

Last edited:
Duplicate post due to bad connection and i can't delete ?

Back