Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Why is nothing simple?

pberrey

Country Flag
uk
So I'm in the process of getting my act together for a Strata Florida laning trip next weekend. Regular readers will have seen the fitment of a OME steering damper and 285 BFG KM2s last week together with a fresh MOT. I also wanted to flush the coolant because the expansion tank looked to be plain water and i had what sounded like a alternator bearing on its way out.

The Haynes manual says there is an engine block drain plug on the RHS and one on the radiator but I couldn't see either so I applied the old fashioned approach of pulling the top and bottom radiator hoses and removing the thermostat.

Coolant drained and rad flushed - but as its a year old i wasn't expecting any issues with that. The thermostat is located behind the alternator in the block and is fed by the bottom hose. With the alternator out of the way you can get to the three bolts holding it on. A good flush through with a garden hose and we are ready to put it back together.

However, the stat has a rubber gasket that seems far too big as doesn't fit back in. So i will source two new ones before i refit and fill with fresh coolant. FYI I am using Comma X30 red coolant mixed with distilled water at 1:1.

In the meantime (its Sunday) i will spend a couple of hours descaling the axles with a wire brush on an angle grinder and brush on a base coat of satin Hammerite as its a warm day.

The alternator covers one of the thermostat bolts so the lc is off the road for a couple of days.

Stay tuned.

Paul.

Last edited:
If the weather is still good you'll find levels low round strata. Other week there wasn't much depth to any of the crossings.

Hope you get everything done in time.

Gary

That is good to know as I'm going with a friend who has a 4.0 P38 Range Rover. It has more ECUs than the space shuttle.

Bizarrely when i took off the alternator the bearing seems fine. There were a couple of small nuts holding the rear casing on which weren't tight but i will be surprised if that was causing such a racket because the tin casing wasn't that loose. I have a new one to go on but as this one was new in January I would like to find out what is wrong and either fix it or make a warranty claim so i still have a usable spare.

Paul

New stat fitted, coolant added at 50% ratio and alternator reinstalled. It's definitely quieter but there is a hint of the rattle. I will see if it fully returns but it's charging fine at 14.5 and 14.7 volts measured across the battery terminals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back