Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Why own an old vehicle?

Thats it, the Mercedes L series, often known as Kurzhaubers. The 4x4 ones were designated LA.

I would agree with the idea that a lot of cars reached the pinnacle of development in the late 90's early 00's in some ways. Reliability, proper build quality, modern comfort and decent safety.

Take cars like the mk4 golf... Nothing special, but imo, it stands up today if you found a good one. I drove a 2017 Jag XF that a friend of mine bought the other day. A lovely piece of engineering, but it has no soul. Yes it's quiet, and fast, and luxurious, but I couldn't relate to it.

However I think there's another side. I love my cruiser, it's well and truly part of the family. It has a soul as far as I'm concerned (obvious projection of some inner fantasy of mine!) But it's more than a mechanical object. If I continue to use it as a daily driver, I will either kill it eventually, or it will be prohibitively expensive to maintain after a time. So my intention is to get a modern car to commute in, and keep my cruiser grin going for a look long long time. Running an older car daily is not really viable long term, unless your commute is very short. Of course, the cruiser is going to the South of France this year, so it's not being shelved in any way!

Spotted this in the fuel station last weekend.
I’ve always liked the lines of the old 280.
Quite rare to see a locally registered RHD here.

C0DA3340-A8D5-495F-BD08-610A3FC5D45D.jpeg

I had a customer with a 300sl. My neighbor reckoned that blue and a 280sl was the combination to have. He sold one for £25 grand a few years back.

@Paddler Ed Sorry for delay in replying but no internet where I was for the last couple of weeks. The FJ40 in question is very confusing (IMO) as ad says 1970 with F engine... The body is post '79 wrong bezel, wrong position for bonnet locks, wipers removed to above screen but has later wiper box and the screen is scratched from their lower, original position, gutters through running boards, windows wrong and barn doors wrong. Plus the other points you made. As far as I'm aware Mr T never made a 3990cc F engine - F was 3878 and 2F was 4230cc. For me I'd start with the chassis vin stamping as I don't think this is a 1970 but more likely 1980 (dash layout, etc).
Hopefully the buyer knows more about it then the seller did.

Aside from all that, I love the DS

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's great that there are some people still enjoy driving, and drive depending on their desire or need.
I'm lucky, in that have an early Ducati Monster, sounds and looks great, doesn't always work (usually when it's raining which is great as I hate biking in rain).
Also have a 78 Datsun 260Z ( in my opinion designed by a fine Japanese gentleman with fine eye, probably on LSD). Unfortunately now needs full restoration as on a still quiet day you can hear it rusting ! Great fun to drive, and have no intention of selling.
My every day car is a 15 year old Skoda Fabia, ( yes an 1.4 16 valve with 30,00 miles and cost me £300 - cheap skate me) as most of time (to and from work) you can't drive fast because of road works that seem to go for miles/years.
There are some great 'old' cars, a good friend has a Volvo R estate, doesn't hang around to pluck dead spiders, and he does shout the Volvo war cry at junctions, 'SIPS' . PS, he does have 2 landies, and his hobby is watching land cruisers drive by
So, you pays your money and you takes your choice. We live at a time where we have great selection of vehicles to choose from. Enjoy, before our driving becomes controlled by a computer.
Sorry, rambling.

It's great that there are some people still enjoy driving, and drive depending on their desire or need.
I'm lucky, in that have an early Ducati Monster, sounds and looks great, doesn't always work (usually when it's raining which is great as I hate biking in rain).
Also have a 78 Datsun 260Z ( in my opinion designed by a fine Japanese gentleman with fine eye, probably on LSD). Unfortunately now needs full restoration as on a still quiet day you can hear it rusting ! Great fun to drive, and have no intention of selling.
My every day car is a 15 year old Skoda Fabia, ( yes an 1.4 16 valve with 30,00 miles and cost me £300 - cheap skate me) as most of time (to and from work) you can't drive fast because of road works that seem to go for miles/years.
There are some great 'old' cars, a good friend has a Volvo R estate, doesn't hang around to pluck dead spiders, and he does shout the Volvo war cry at junctions, 'SIPS' . PS, he does have 2 landies, and his hobby is watching land cruisers drive by
So, you pays your money and you takes your choice. We live at a time where we have great selection of vehicles to choose from. Enjoy, before our driving becomes controlled by a computer.
Sorry, rambling.

Genuinely enjoyable post but I have to ask you what the Volvo War Cry is as last time I was lucky enough to be in an 850 or V70 R ‘SIPS’ stood for Side Impact Protection System.

Genuinely enjoyable post but I have to ask you what the Volvo War Cry is as last time I was lucky enough to be in an 850 or V70 R ‘SIPS’ stood for Side Impact Protection System.

Hi Jacob, thank you, absolutely right, SIPS, as you don't care about anybody hitting you side on as they will come off worse.
Yeah, I know we shouldn't and don't drive like this.
Just a little side note, my son at the age of 20, scraped his Polo 1.1 and bought Volvo 480 ES (2 litre) same age, his insurance dropped by nearly 15%, the insurer said that it's not a cool car for kids!

They aint as strong as they look Moggy i hit one of them head on at speed and it went straight to the scrap yard , my bike was fine though coz i hit it not the bike :|

They aint as strong as they look Moggy i hit one of them head on at speed and it went straight to the scrap yard , my bike was fine though coz i hit it not the bike :|
Nah, they are pretty strong Shayne. They’re just not built to be flying Shayne resistant. :)

Does that have 1st where second is and so on?

Looks roomy and in good nick.
Needs a fair bit of work. Domestic Electrics are suspect, floor if one of the lockers is rotted out, also needs lots of bushes and an exhaust.

Back