Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Why own an old vehicle?

Moving the Vario on already Moggy? Shame - looks a decent base vehicle. Been half thinking of a Vario myself, but wanted a stock van body one, rather than a MH.

Moving the Vario on already Moggy? Shame - looks a decent base vehicle. Been half thinking of a Vario myself, but wanted a stock van body one, rather than a MH.
yeh, bit big for what I need and don't really have the time to do the work needed with the other projects I have on the go.
I would have preferred a van but again, not enough time to do the work, and not many good ones about. Those that are go for serious money.

View attachment 156542 View attachment 156543
not my paint job!

I have also got these!!

I turned down a fully restored red wire wheeled early model TR6 in the late 80s, offered to me for 2 grand.

Sadly I had zilch money then...

Is that a Vitesse 6 Moggy? I had one and it was great fun. My first straight 6 encounter, followed by a Triumph 2000, and now the 80... :lol:

I turned down a fully restored red wire wheeled early model TR6 in the late 80s.

When I was a Boarding School (this would be 1959/60) my best pal's dad came to take us out for the day. It turned out that what he really wanted to do was look at a Morgan Three-Wheeler that was advertised locally (Wellington, Somerset). We went to see it . . .

It was beautiful in British Racing Green, polished brass radiator Matchless or JAP 'V-Twin' (memory :doh:) - it looked perfect.

£30 !! far too much - he didn't buy it :angry-screaming:.

If we knew then . . . .

Bob.

When i was a kid someone gave my mum a black coke bottle cortina rust bucket with a broken exhaust and as far as i can recall it was the best car i ever rode in as a child . Her bf put it on its roof while drunk and got away with it because he went over the hedge and dropped 15 foot into a field , hence nobody could see it :(

When I was a Boarding School (this would be 1959/60) my best pal's dad came to take us out for the day. It turned out that what he really wanted to do was look at a Morgan Three-Wheeler that was advertised locally (Wellington, Somerset). We went to see it . . .

It was beautiful in British Racing Green, polished brass radiator Matchless or JAP 'V-Twin' (memory :doh:) - it looked perfect.

If we knew then . . . .

Bob.
They had the JAP v twin.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

If we knew then . . . .

Bob.

My Mum & Dad used to buzz around in a 1934 model before us kids came along, he loved it. No photos sadly.

It was a barn find after he de-mobbed, with a seized engine. He stripped it down and got it going again.

He sold it in 1946 when my bro was born, to a guy that wanted the front wheel drive mechanism for a project car.

Morgan still make them if I understand correctly... :think:

Here’s another. At points in this I hear him talking about the car and it equally applies to the older cruisers. ‘If you break it you’ve got to fix it, and if you haven’t fixed it you’re not trying hard enough’

I turned down a fully restored red wire wheeled early model TR6 in the late 80s, offered to me for 2 grand.

Sadly I had zilch money then...

Is that a Vitesse 6 Moggy? I had one and it was great fun. My first straight 6 encounter, followed by a Triumph 2000, and now the 80... :lol:
Vitesse mark 1, so 2.o straight 6

They had the JAP v twin.

Some had JAPs, some had Matchless. Some were air-cooled, some water-cooled. I don't know enough about Morgans to quote years and models but my (60 year-old) memory is that it had a JAP.

This Matchless-engined one pops up regularly at Classic shows in Scotland, but its a bit later than the one I saw in 1959 (different rear-end):

DSC_7015.JPG

DSC_7219.JPG

Bob.

He sold it in 1946 when my bro was born, to a guy that wanted the front wheel drive mechanism for a project car.

Morgans had chain drive to the rear wheel (two chains going to different-sized sprockets with a simple dog-clutch to select either ratio).

There was a BSA Three-wheeler that had front-wheel drive (and later a Berkley had the same).

Morgans also produced a four-cylinder water-cooled model (Ford engine ?). I don't know whether that had front or rear wheel drive.

Are you sure it was a Morgan ??

Bob.
(getting off topic here - old cars we didn't own :lol:).

Not so much about us owning as about owning in general Bob, so not OT at all. :thumbup:

Didn’t know about the Matchless engines, so thanks for that. Every day’s a school day. :icon-biggrin:

There’s a private museum in Rolvenden, Kent that’s got loads of them.
http://www.morganmuseum.org.uk/

Last edited:
One of the rear indicators on the Spitfire wasn't working so I decided to dive in, oh my!!
it looks as though the guy that did the paint job with what appears to be a yard broom also stuck his hand in the electrics!!
Found bare wires under the dash just twisted together. The indicat\or that wasn't working had a piece of (incorrectly sized) cable shoved down the side of the bulb as an earth, but it had fallen out, the other indicator was reverse wired! As I dug deeper it appears he didn't really get how crimps work (on the rare occasions he used them!!)!!
Wire was taped to crimps and on some the wire was sandwiched between the male and female crimps rather than actually fed trough the end and crimped, undersize wire used in place of original cabling, and then the piss de resistance, a nail between 2 crimps to keep the current flowing!!

IMG_3214.jpg
IMG_3215.jpg
IMG_3216.jpg

Thanks for that, very enjoyable and summed feelings up very well.

That reminds me of the wiring in my house when I bought it in 1988 (most was lead-covered 2-core from 1927 with an assortment of objects in the old cast-iron fuse box).

Oh yes - there was no Earth connection (I wondered what the 'hum' was) :doh:.

Farmers :angry-screaming:.

Bob.

My sister’s first house, built in 1906, was wired in very old multiple single core with severely perished rubber insulation. I had the job of a top to bottom rewire, deciding to leave the old stuff in situ to keep the lighting on and replace with new as the job progressed. After three shocks, decided to rip the lot out and start from scratch.

My sister’s first house, built in 1906, was wired in very old multiple single core with severely perished rubber insulation. I had the job of a top to bottom rewire, deciding to leave the old stuff in situ to keep the lighting on and replace with new as the job progressed. After three shocks, decided to rip the lot out and start from scratch.
Thats how a lot of fires on older buildings being renovated start (notre dam, windsor castle etc). If you disrupt the old rubber coated wiring the insulation just falls off. I've had it on a few older rewires and just had to switch the power off until all the old wiring had been disconnected..

I disagree with this one… but only ‘cos I’m biased towards Landcruisers :) however I reckon this vehicle is an 80 in spirit if not in disguise.

Great find Rich and it leaves me thinking you just unwittingly posted up the 90 series predecessor :think:

Back