Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wi-Fi help needed

joinerman

Garage
We use BT for our broadband & have a BT hub number 4, we have no problems with wi-fi all over the house but i have built my daughter a studio in the garden to work in, problem is the wi-fi doesn't reach it, it's about 30 feet from the back of the house, the hub is at the front of the house & i can't move that as it's near the only BT socket in the house, there is mains supply off of the ring main in the studio. any ideas ?

Yes JM, 2 ideas

You could use powerline adapters, they mostly work well… until they don't. They plug into the mains and transmit along that to one at the other end which either retransmits the wifi or ends in a socket which you can plug a wifi access point into.

The other is a wifi repeater. Plug it in and mount it on the wall at the back of the house set it up and you should then be able to receive in the studio. We can in the house from our access pointbin our cabin a similar distance away.

I have a spare of option B if you want to try it.

We use BT for our broadband & have a BT hub number 4, we have no problems with wi-fi all over the house but i have built my daughter a studio in the garden to work in, problem is the wi-fi doesn't reach it, it's about 30 feet from the back of the house, the hub is at the front of the house & i can't move that as it's near the only BT socket in the house, there is mains supply off of the ring main in the studio. any ideas ?
Or run a Ethernet cable from the Hub and get a old router and config as a hot spot

Aye getting the cable through the house would be nigh on impossible, were all open plan.
Star how much do you want for your repeater ? pm me if you want.

I have used plan b as above to get wifi to the hot tub and it works.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Powerline adapters can be very much a 'try it and see' approach as their performance can vary quite a bit from house to house dependant on how much electrical 'noise' there is on the ring main(s). Guidance is to use them on the same ring main in the house but that can obviously limit there usefulness somewhat.

Powerline also cause huge rf noise. And brand dependant you really want to make sure none of your neighbours are on the same -ve and earth line. Or they maybe enjoying your Internets. Encryption is an option.

TP alredy mentioned re ring.

Worth a try though.

If this fails, you can get an external WiFi booster.

Back