Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

wibbly wobbly 285/75 M/T BFGs

Waldamar

Supporter
Country Flag
england
I still haven't replaced the MTs - got a set of A/Ts lined up.................. Anyway, been out and about the last two days and the roads are literally melting, weird thing is the 80 is feeling VERY skittish. Surely the M/Ts aren't suffering from the heat? They're used all over the world are they not?
I fear that is what's happening as driving home tonight [way cooler] all seemed well again...................
Shock fluid doesn't thin in the heat does it? [again surely not]
1995 80 series petrol, 3" OME Lift
Any thoughts Gentlemen?

I still haven't replaced the MTs - got a set of A/Ts lined up.................. Anyway, been out and about the last two days and the roads are literally melting, weird thing is the 80 is feeling VERY skittish. Surely the M/Ts aren't suffering from the heat? They're used all over the world are they not?
I fear that is what's happening as driving home tonight [way cooler] all seemed well again...................
Shock fluid doesn't thin in the heat does it? [again surely not]
1995 80 series petrol, 3" OME Lift
Any thoughts Gentlemen?

If the MTs are BFG, then I can vouch for them not reacting badly to heat, or rather I’ve not noticed it on my 80 up to 42C ambient.

The asphalt here regularly melts, that is to say that the bitumen in the mix bleeds to the surface, but I’ve never really noticed it affect handling.

Are you getting premature tyre squeal on cornering, or normal braking?

It’s worth getting your alignment checked, but if you’re about to change to ATs, I suggest you do that immediately after fitting them.

Otherwise, it’s a check of all rubber bushings.... are they rubber OEM, or are they poly?

Interesting one this...

Funny I was thinking the same yesterday driving onnthe New STT Pros. I was wondering if it was to do with tyre pressure?

I wondered that too, but apparently the pressure only increases by about 0.2 psi per centigrade degree change. I suppose if the pressure had been set during the cold spell a couple of months ago, then that could be quite significant when the heat of the road is taken into account as well.

If the MTs are BFG, then I can vouch for them not reacting badly to heat, or rather I’ve not noticed it on my 80 up to 42C ambient.

The asphalt here regularly melts, that is to say that the bitumen in the mix bleeds to the surface, but I’ve never really noticed it affect handling.

Are you getting premature tyre squeal on cornering, or normal braking?

It’s worth getting your alignment checked, but if you’re about to change to ATs, I suggest you do that immediately after fitting them.

Otherwise, it’s a check of all rubber bushings.... are they rubber OEM, or are they poly?

Interesting one this...
Thanks for the replies, tyre pressure to be checked today. A quick visual of the bushes etc. and all seems well - another thing on the list but as always priorities..............
I'm probably just being paranoid, tbh I don't like the M/Ts and am looking forward to the A/Ts

BTW, I run my km2s at 40 psi on the road.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I’d be interested to know what others run their pressures at. I currently have my STT Pros at 35psi.

Could this be a collapsed rubber Bush or two? I’m beginning to think the wandering and a more noticible clonk could add up to a bush. I’ll have to have a crawl under and see.

I've had a bit of tyre squeal on a couple of roundabouts which don't normally get but that's about it, run 32 psi all round (cold pressure), wheel alignment is spot on etc.
No handling issues

I've had a bit of tyre squeal on a couple of roundabouts which don't normally get but that's about it, run 32 psi all round (cold pressure), wheel alignment is spot on etc.
No handling issues

Normally, tyre squeal on tight cornering is alignment related.

I had the same, rechecked the alignment and it was almost 1 degree out. Never found out why, but when adjusted, no more squeals.

Normally, tyre squeal on tight cornering is alignment related.

I had the same, rechecked the alignment and it was almost 1 degree out. Never found out why, but when adjusted, no more squeals.

They weren't particularly tight just not slow lol. Only thing to change is current temperature tbh mate, I could go back out now it's cooler and it won't do it.

Gear lever and console were quite hot today, great for keeping your coffee warm lol!

They weren't particularly tight just not slow lol. Only thing to change is current temperature tbh mate, I could go back out now it's cooler and it won't do it.

Gear lever and console were quite hot today, great for keeping your coffee warm lol!

With you Gary...

Our weather has been reversed this year with the UK, we’re having 22 degrees ATM when it’s normally closer to 40, and you’re having early 30s if the info we’re getting is correct.

Enjoy it (if you can) while it lasts...

32.2 c recorded on our weather station today. The hottest this year and not much breeze so feeling it. I’ve been working in the local college doing Power and data for new gym equipment and even though it’s air conditioned, any work up a ladder has resulted in being drenched in sweat as it’s been pretty humid.

Having to work the weekend but should get finished tomorrow. Once I get done I’ll have a look under the truck as I’m pretty convinced I’ve got a Bush or two gone. It’s been a bit odd under braking for a while with the odd clunk. I thought brakes and checked them last weekend but all was well apart from some rather premature pad squealers starting the squeak at 30% pad wear!!

Last edited:
Back