Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wifi dongle help please

Shayne

Guru
Talktalk died a week ago so today i went out and bought a HUAWEI E3533 EE Dongle , which came without a mobile number , its in my laptop it says connected , but it will only connect to EE please sign up .

I cant sign up without a number . If i call them they just hang up mid conversation .

Any ideas ?

What you mean it came without a number? No sim with it?
Have you put another sim in it?

C

My landline is bust so no broadband . Bought a pay as you go dongle as a stop gap .
I found the number under the price barcode on the outside of the box but it doesnt work anyway EE means everything everywhere as long as its in London i think .

Should not be that hard to set up. Perhaps it is struggling with coverage? (EE not that great in London either ;) )

So it gives you a web page? It might then have coverage. Have you checked t see if you're in the coverage area?

To be fair, I returned something to EE 13 days later because of patchy signal (in London) and they refunded me without a problem.

As a stop-gap can you not use your phone as a tether?

Yeah i think the signal is just too weak sign in just leaves me in a constant loop .
Nevermind i should get my plusnet router tomorrow and at least then i should be able to tell someone that understands that no phoneline means no broadband .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I swapped to EE from Vodafone in mid November after using their coverage checker, no signal at work or home, they fobbed me off until my 14 day cooling off period ended but i persisted in badgering them, eventually they cancelled my contract with nothing to pay, with 02 now.

I dont have internet on my phone , im using Helens fancy iphone now and its a hateful experience .

Actually i get 500mb a month on my phone contract and as its a dual sim phone i also have a pay as you go option i have just never turned wifi on .

Are you saying i could us them mb on my laptop Cris ?

You should have a similar card with it shayne.

I have a 02 one for work and it's pretty straight forward even I can use it.

Everybody in work takes the piss out of how bad I am with tech

Hurray i now have a hotspot tethered to phone thingy which is a bit of a landrover fix but at least it works thanks for the idea Crispin :thumbup:

On a side note i have never in my life encountered such an insulting customer service as that offered by EE .
I was told today they will not activate the 30 day internet access dongle unless i go and top it up with credit , i replied that i had already paid for 30 days so i should take the dongle back for refund . Go on then she says and put the phone down :angry-screaming:

Hurray i now have a hotspot tethered to phone thingy which is a bit of a landrover fix but at least it works thanks for the idea Crispin :thumbup:
Nice one. It works well.

Just remember to put a password onto the hotspot or you'll get people "borrowing" it :)

As someone else pointed out here, you can can get very cheap sims on fleabay for notalot and have a lot of data with them. If you wanted to make this a permanent solution.

Funny you should say that Cris because Helen took the dongle to work intending to return it to the shop in the morning and instead sold it to a co worker who apparently has an account with every service provider in Britain and so just buys the sim offering the best deal each month . The lengths some people will go to eh :lol:

I prefer a home router as Helen has an ipad and i have a real computer and when the kids/grandkids visits they always have something else they need a connection password for .

Another 4 hours on the phone today revealed Plusnet have not sent my router because talktalk had placed a "cease" on my line preventing me from moving to another provider thus locking a broken connection (phone and internet) and removing any possibility it might get fixed even by there own engineers :wtf:

So i have now agreed to accept fibre optic and a £65 charge for an engineer to visit my house to tell me there is nothing wrong with my own equipment and i will have a sex change and pay all of India's national debt and so they will lift the "cease" on my services .

As soon as i came off the phone to them i called Plusnet who will monitor my line and steal it just as soon as they can gain access , i then cancelled all direct debit to talktalk :icon-biggrin:

Within 2 hours my home phone was ringing and tests are obviously taking place so i hope to be back online with Plusnet very soon .

Using my mobile phone as a router via tethering is a very useful thing to know though , connection is painfully slow but at least i can get online if i'm patient .

What a faff!
Glad it's all sorted now though.

Using my mobile phone as a router via tethering is a very useful thing to know though , connection is painfully slow but at least i can get online if i'm patient .
it is very handy and can be good in an "emergency" If it's slow then put the phone upstairs near a window. The wifi should still cover the house and the phone signal will now be stronger.

I'm not going to post a caustic reply re;- being f00king ripped off by Maggies Market when I'm drunk.

Huawei E5172As-22 4G LTE 150Mbps Unlocked Wireless Router https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GHK3XOC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_73nMyb7G4QTBB

I have one off these which I used in the house when moving and didn't have any broadband for a month, give the Ethernet cable connection for connection to a PC. Got a antenna for the window to give better reception. Also use it in the truck when going camping into France with a 3 sim and the antenna stuck outside when at the campsite.

It won't cheer you to know Frank that the guy himself said BT's Openreach reputation has got so bad that home owners who have reported a fault will refuse to let him in to diagnose the problem .

Back