Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wild Camping in England..Rules?

Danny b

Country Flag
uk
Whats Legal with regards to wild camping in England and possibly Wales?
Can you stop and set up camp in a clearing beside a byway? I know you cant just go stopping in a farmers field and set up for the night but what is allowed or is not?

Any info on the subject appreciated.

thanks

Danny

Short answer in no, unless you have permission from the landowner and, as all land belongs to someone, this just about rules out everywhere. In the Peak District, the open 'access land' is nearly all privately owned and while free access for walking climbing etc is allowed, wild camping is not. Scotland is the place to go for wild camping but even there, certain restrictions and prohibited areas exist. The area immediately around Loch Lomond (a favourite spot of mine) used to allow wild camping all year round but it's been banned for the last few years due to the mountains of rubbish left behind, indiscriminate tree cutting for firewood and general loutish behaviour by the mindless minority. The area is now well patrolled by park rangers backed up by the police if they need it.
Just check with the local authorities of the areas you were thinking of camping in.

Thanks for quick reply, I am Northamptonshire base so Cotswolds or Peak district would have been nice. We used campsite on a trip in Wales last year and it kind of spoils it. you spend all day away from everyone then have to go and set up camp surrounded by people. Scotland is lovely but very little you can actually drive on other than tarmac roads. I was up Loch Lomond area in January. Lovely there.

Are the French more relaxed on wild camping?

Wild camping is legal and possible in Scotland (inc. islands), some areas (Loch Lomond and others) have certain bylaws related to wild camping.

In France it's technically illegal but is still done.

Easier with a roof top tent because the problem comes as soon as you put a non vehicular item on the floor. You can get away with a ladder for the tent but that’s it. Even motorhomes struggle in some places.

while the above are defiantly correct, I have noticed more and more people (camper vans mainly - no ground tents or roof top tents yet) 'wild camping' in the Peak as I drive around in the mornings. I think if you are discrete and pick your spot you may get away with it, but be prepared to move on if asked.

Do you definitely want to wild camp by the truck? because if you want to walk into the middle of the moors somewhere and divvy for the night then you'll almost certainly be left alone (although the legal points made in the above posts still apply). I think on Crapbook there are all sorts of groups dedicated to wild camping in England and people seem to be wild camping all over the place and having a great time doing it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The key with campers is they aren't 'camping', they are 'parked', which is tricky to pass off if you've got your tent out!!

What about common/crown land? :think:

What we used to do with regards to wild camping when I was in the UK was camp in forestry commission land because we were almost always laning/camping at weekends and generally they arnt logging at weekends. Also a lot of forestry commission land is pretty much left alone for many years at a time until the trees are ready for harvesting and the only way to access a lot of those areas is via byways/ucr's so you don't have much chance of getting disturbed. :shifty:

In england its rubbish, you might be able to sneak about in some of the more "remote" areas, but you wont feel relaxed and be prepared to be moved on shortly after getting all your kit set up... the country is over populated.
Scotland is great, as tp mentioned though loch lomond now has restrictions, expect these to reach further afield as more people jump on the bandwagon and some of the best spots get plastered over the internet..

Your best bet in england would be to knock on a farmers door and ask If you can camp, offer him some cash and show him the expectant faces of the kids if you have any :icon-biggrin:.
we know some farmers well and have hundreds of acres to choose from in the white peak.

On dartmoor there are signs saying no camping in vehicles at all. But it doesnt say outside the vehicle!
In reality there are lots of camper vans in laybyes etc everywhere. Lots of small tents near parked cars. The rangers keep an eye out but tend to just move on if noisy or untidy or too long in one place

I realise it's not legal but never had any problem wild camping in the Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons. Just be discrete, pitch late, leave early. Have several times thought we'd found a clever remote spot, packed up in the morning walked 100 yards and found another half dozen tents. You wouldn't drive to any of these places though.

As a farm owner I'm not bothered about people pitching a tent on rough ground, and all of mine is rough! It's especially nice if they ask but I don't hassle anyone who is scrupulously tidy. Kids with a tent surrounded by WKD bottles get woken up at 5am though.

Your not supposed to in england. but.... we do. pick your spot well and if your approached be polite etc etc. never leave any rubbish and no trace you habe been there. be prepared to move if you have to. we have never been moved on though.

As stated. scotland is a totally different ball game.

Just checking out the nearly wild camping website @SimonD . It looks like quite a good idea. Takes the romance out of wild camping a bit but possibly worth the sacrifice of knowing that you won't be asked to leave at 11pm when everything is set-up and the kids are asleep.

Slept on byways loads of times just made sure other vehicles can pass you.

Also if off the ridgeway watch out for nutters in short shorts and crocs

I realise it's not legal but never had any problem wild camping in the Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons. Just be discrete, pitch late, leave early. Have several times thought we'd found a clever remote spot, packed up in the morning walked 100 yards and found another half dozen tents. You wouldn't drive to any of these places though.

As a farm owner I'm not bothered about people pitching a tent on rough ground, and all of mine is rough! It's especially nice if they ask but I don't hassle anyone who is scrupulously tidy. Kids with a tent surrounded by WKD bottles get woken up at 5am though.

Where's your farm Rob?

Back